25 replies to this topic

#1 ~alex~

~alex~

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

I have been keeping a food diary to try and figure out why my stomach is still upset more frequently than I'd like despite being gluten free. Iíve realized cucumber may be causing some of my problems but coconut seems to be the only constant I can see on days when my stomach is feeling bad (cramping, D, etc.). Itís not on the same level as a gluten reaction but still makes me feel pretty crummy.

I am worried that I may not have the right culprit because Iíve never heard of anyone else having a problem with coconut. Is it even possible? I made a dressing with coconut milk that I was putting on salads and sometimes vegetables so that was the main source I was getting coconut from. And I donít remember getting sick from coconut before Celiac; I could eat basically anything before I became ill from celiac disease. Does Celiac cause these other food intolerances/sensitivities and will they go away when I am fully healed?

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:37 AM

I am worried that I may not have the right culprit because Iíve never heard of anyone else having a problem with coconut. Is it even possible? I made a dressing with coconut milk that I was putting on salads and sometimes vegetables so that was the main source I was getting coconut from. And I
Alex, my mother always says coconut upsets her stomach. She is not coeliac, but could be. So it probably is not impossible that cocnut upsets your stomach.

Coeliac could cause all these other intolerances, and if you are in the early stages of going gluten free, it might just be a case of your stomach healing and still having a free problems here and there with various foods. Maybe just leave coconut out for a few weeks, and try it again later and see what happens.

Cathy

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:12 PM

Alex,

I can't comment on the Coconut, but perhaps the salad and vegtables were just too much. Salads are hard for me to digest sometimes.

Hope you find your answer. You have come a great way. Keep up the good work.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

Hi Alex :)

A couple of things--it's not unusual for us to find we are intolerant to other foods once we go gluten-free. Possible reasons are a leaky gut, or that the intolerance was there all along, but taking the biggest offender (gluten) away causes it to "suddenly" become a problem. Some of these intolerances may be temporary--like lactose. Once the villi heal, many are able to consume it again with no problems.

My personal opinion, and from some experience--when you determine that you are intolerant to a particular food, stay away from it completely for at leat 6 months--then if you want, try some again. It's just one of the many things that are different for each of us ;)

I happen to be intolerant to coconut. It didn't become apparant until I'd been gluten-free for several months. With coconut, I get cramping, stomach pain, and nausea. I find it's pretty easy to stay away from--but something to watch out for are water filters. Lots of them use charcoal made with coconut hulls. I found this out the hard way!

Good for you keeping a food diary! :D It helps out so much in the beginning with all this.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 ~alex~

~alex~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

Thank you so much for the responses. I will definitely be staying away from all things coconut. I'm not too upset about parting with coconut but it is a little disheartening to add something else to the list -- a list I'm hoping doesn't get to long. I'm almost afraid to continue with the food diary for fear of finding out there are more things that bother me. I'm having a hard time telling lately because I feel nauseated and yucky from a new medication. I'm hoping once that settles down I'll be able to tell more definitively when I'm having symptoms from something I'm eating.

Patti, thank you so much for informing me about the filtered water. I never, ever would have figured that out. I guess I should never take anything for granted, even things that seem inherently innocuous. Do you know if this is just for water you filter yourself at home or do bottled water companies use this kind of filter?

Thank you

#6 GFmonkeii

GFmonkeii

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:24 AM

This is something I have been sort of observing on myself as well.... there are various "coconut" gluten-free cookies that I buy in Australia and they recently stopped agreeing with me. I recall drinking and eating a "young coconut" would also cause some of the common symptoms, although that was before going gluten-free. I don't seem to have a problem with coconut milk though which I stir into all the yummy gluten-free curries that I make. Maybe it's something in coconuts that gets removed in the process of making a coconut milk? I wish I understood the whole processing of foods a bit better.

Cathy I am like you hoping I don't end up with a list miles long of intolerances. I have been gluten-free for 10 months now and in the porcess had a passing lactose intolerance but that seems to be fine now. I was eating everything for 30 years before being diagnosed with celiac disease... it is driving my husband crazy when I complain of this and then that. Adopting to gluten-free lifestyle was hard enough...

Have you got any more news since posting on this subject last year?

#7 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:42 AM

I can eat coconut: shredded, milk, fresh, cream. No problems whatsoever.

BUT I have tried "coconut flour" 3 times and every time I have the most horrible pain in my tummy that I have to lay in the fetal position for about an hour or so before it passes.

I wonder why? Do they grind the hard outer part of the nut with the meats to make the flour? The flour isnt white, so I suspect this may be so.

That outer shell doesnt agree with me.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#8 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:12 AM

Alot of coconut products are preserved with sulfites....even if not clearly labeled. Its not uncommon to be sensitive to sulfites.

If you have the same reactions to fresh coconut (right out of the shell) then its not a sulfite issue. If you tolerate the fresh stuff.....then sulfites are a possibility.
Rachel

#9 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:47 AM

I never buy anything with sulfites....cuz they can trigger migraines. Even tho I do not have any evidence they triggered mine (they went away gluten-free), always seemed a good idea to avoid them.

They must put them in the flour or it is some of that outer shell that tears me up.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#10 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

I never buy anything with sulfites....cuz they can trigger migraines. Even tho I do not have any evidence they triggered mine (they went away gluten-free), always seemed a good idea to avoid them.

They must put them in the flour or it is some of that outer shell that tears me up.

They do use sulfites in some flours...as a "whitening" agent....also most starches contain sulfites (corn starch, potato starch, etc.).

They dont have to be listed as an ingredient on the product....but can be found in many different ingredients. Corn syrup, lemon juice, white grape juice, etc). Its my understanding that most processed foods contain sulfites. People who are sensitive have different tolerance levels.

Also, some foods contain natural sulfites....like grapes (wine)....and most wines have also been preserved with sulfites as well.

I get alot of symptoms from sulfites so I do my best to avoid them.
Rachel

#11 GFmonkeii

GFmonkeii

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

Rachel you could be onto something there with the sulphites because sometimes when I drink wine I get mouth ulcers which could be a prove of intolerance I guess. :huh:

I also read that coconut is used as a laxative in many Asian countries and maybe some of us are too sensitive and react. :P

Thanks for your posts ShayFL too, I am going to be more observant about coconut flour vs. sulphites. The cookies I am referring to say "coconut", not c. flour though. :rolleyes: the packet says that the product may contain suplhites.

#12 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

Rachel you could be onto something there with the sulphites because sometimes when I drink wine I get mouth ulcers which could be a prove of intolerance I guess. :huh:

I have gotten mouth blisters from foods containing sulfites. I would say that the mouth ulcers you get from wine are caused by some type of sensitivity....sulfites would be a strong possibity.

Unless a product specifically states that the coconut is not preserved with sulfites...I just assume that it is. Unless its coming right out of the shell I think that most coconut is preserved with sulfites.

I've seen one brand of coconut that is organic and unsulfured.
Rachel

#13 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

I have trouble with coconut but haven't experimented enough to know which forms. For sure, canned coconut milk is an issue.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#14 ive

ive

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

I've seen one brand of coconut that is organic and unsulfured.

I think "Let's Do Organic" Coconut doesn't have any sulfites in it: http://www.edwardand...nt_Coconut.html
Better safe than glutened

Dairy Free / Gluten Free / Soy Free / Corn Free / Mostly Nut Free / Legumes Free
Low histamine / amine / glutamate diet
Restricted animal protein diet

#15 Ken70

Ken70

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:37 AM

keep in mind coconut is a major anti-fungal agent. could be a herxing type reaction possibly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: