Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Contamination Of Oats

7 posts in this topic

I happened to notice an article in the New England Journal of Medicine they receive here in the office where I work. I thought it would add something to the earlier posted discussion about those with celiac disease and oat consumption.

It is entitled:

Gluten Contamination of Commercial Oat Products in the United States.

The researchers tested multiple lots (4 each) of oats from McCann

Ads by Google:

Maybe I just won't worry about try them. ;-)

Too bad I can't grow my own. (I'm in an apartment, so it _really_ isn't an option.)

I was at the celiac conference at Stanford last month and it appears there is some research that shows it is ok to eat oats. I am so terrified of being ill that I am afraid to try it myself. Has anyone tried to eat oats? If you have tried it would it also include eating hot cereal?

I think some enterprising company needs to start a contaminant-free oat growing farm & manufacturing plant. Can't they rotate the crops with other gluten-free grains? Obviously, I have no idea, but I'm sure there'd be a market for gluten-free oats!

I tried eating oats and got very sick. I am of the mind now that I will let someone else try these things out. From what I understand if the oats are made in the U.S. they are not gluten free.

Hi,

both my husband and I are on a gluten-free diet. I can eat McCann's Oats and I do not have a reaction. However, my husband who is much less sensitive than myself as a rule, cannot eat McCann's oats.

Go figure.

I just don't feel it's worth the risk. If I can eat without wheat, rye, barley, malt, and all those foods they are found in, it's not too hard to eliminate oats, also. I don't think it's worth it because the chances of contamination are too great.