14 replies to this topic

#1 hafadai43

hafadai43

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:24 AM

Although Hellman's Mayo has vinegar....I read in a gluten-free book that it is gluten-free. Does anyone know if this is true?

Rachel Lyn

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jennyj

jennyj

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:25 AM

I use it with no problems. Hope this helps.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:31 AM

Hellman's is gluten-free. So is Best, Kroger, Miracle Whip (not actually mayo) and every other mayo I've ever seen. I don't know of any mayo that isn't gluten-free.

"Vinegar" is distilled vinegar (from corn I believe) and is gluten-free in all cases in the U.S.

richard

#4 stargazer

stargazer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:45 AM

I use Hellman's all the time with no problem. I do believe it says on the back of the label that it is gluten free.

#5 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:55 AM

We use it in our house with no problems.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#6 Motorboater

Motorboater

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:41 AM

Although Hellman's Mayo has vinegar....I read in a gluten-free book that it is gluten-free. Does anyone know if this is true?

I use it and no problems..........

#7 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

When an ingredient list says vinegar....most of the time(99%) it's distilled and ok, if it's malt vinegar that they must list that!!!!!

Call/email company when in doubt!

#8 hafadai43

hafadai43

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

thanks everyone! :lol:

Rachel Lyn

#9 Daryl

Daryl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:31 AM

Has anyone used Miracle Whip? My wife made me switch to Hellman's which i don't like as much, esp. since growing up on Miracle Whip.

And by the way....Hellman's says Gluten Free on the label, but the jar I bought this past weekend, thats wrapped in a nascar themed wrapping, does not say Gluten Free. So I wonder if it depends on teh printer/promotion in effect, and whetther they put all of the pertinent info on the label. Or maybe these were printed awhile ago. We had actually just noticed a few months ago that Hellmans had that printed on the label.

#10 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

Miracle Whip is a Kraft product so just read the label - they will call out their gluten if they have it. Now, that being said, I've got some in the fridge and it's OK. I'm not sure about Miracle Whip Light, though - don't have any in the house to check.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#11 ginghamkim

ginghamkim

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

Has anyone with sensitivities to distilled vinegar tried the Hellman's Mayo? My concern is the vinegar, even though distilled, I have problems if it is distilled from a grain other than corn. For example, Kroger white vinegar is only 90% corn and 10% "other grains" which may or may not contain wheat. This is directly from the Kroger Dietician.

I sure would like to not have to make my own mayonnaise anymore. If anyone is sensitive to white vinegar and had good luck with Hellman's, please let me know.

Kim
Gluten-free since 12/25/06. Soy-free since 3/1/07. High-fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oil free.
Initial problems with gallbladder and pancreas. Taking digestive enzymes to help.

#12 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

And by the way....Hellman's says Gluten Free on the label, but the jar I bought this past weekend, thats wrapped in a nascar themed wrapping, does not say Gluten Free.

I have noticed that the medium sized jar says Gluten Free but the big jar does not. It has the same label except there is not the Gluten Free claim.
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
rheumatoid arthritis May 1980
wrist joint replacement Jan 1984
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds
Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

Has anyone with sensitivities to distilled vinegar tried the Hellman's Mayo? My concern is the vinegar, even though distilled, I have problems if it is distilled from a grain other than corn. For example, Kroger white vinegar is only 90% corn and 10% "other grains" which may or may not contain wheat. This is directly from the Kroger Dietician.

I sure would like to not have to make my own mayonnaise anymore. If anyone is sensitive to white vinegar and had good luck with Hellman's, please let me know.

Kim

I also am sensitive to gluten grain distilled items and I have had no issues with Hellman's. I use the new Canola variety since I avoid soy oil and it does say gluten-free right under the ingredients. I believe the vinegar is derived from corn but you may want to call the company just to get used to checking. Not all distilled vinegar is from corn though so when in doubt do call.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

Kim

Have you actually used the Kroger white vinegar and had a reaction? If not, what vinegars containing grains other than corn have you had a problem with?

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#15 ginghamkim

ginghamkim

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

Have you actually used the Kroger white vinegar and had a reaction? If not, what vinegars containing grains other than corn have you had a problem with?

Yes, I've used the Kroger white vinegar for months before I finally figured out it was the problem. According the the Kroger dietician (who are just wonderful) about 10% of celiacs have a reaction to 90/10 white vinegar. I'm so sensitive that even using Kroger white vinegar in a diluted spray bottle for household cleaning effects me greatly (inhaling tiny air particles)

I've been told indirectly that Heinz is 100% corn derived but I've been to reluctant to try b/c I pregnant and don't want any problems. I think I've also had problems with rice vinegar but not sure if it was b/c I was still healing at the time.

So far, I just stay away from white distilled vinegar and opt for cider vinegar.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks Ravenwoodgoddess for the Hellman's info. I've sent my husband to Kroger tonight with it on the list!
Kim
Gluten-free since 12/25/06. Soy-free since 3/1/07. High-fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oil free.
Initial problems with gallbladder and pancreas. Taking digestive enzymes to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: