2 replies to this topic

#1 romans828

romans828

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:08 PM

My daughter is allergic to all dairy, eggs so I use duck eggs and they are great, soy, the bodine family and more (I am new to this)
I am in the process of learning to bake breads however many recipes call for dry milk powder. I use rice milk in place of any milks but I have no idea what I could substitute for the dry milk powder. Help, help, help !

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:06 PM

Hi Romans828,

According to my baking manual from school, dry milk powder is used specifically to add flavor and fat, so I would guess that if you bump up the fat just a little, you may be able to get away with subsituting with plain rice flour.

BUT, here is a more concrete suggestion.... it comes right out of one of Bette Hagmans baking books.

I used to call for nonfat, noninstant milk powder in my recipes until some readers complained thet they were sensitive to so much milk powder.

For the lactose intolerant, substitue either Lacto-Free, Tofu White (both contain soy), or NutQuick (made from almonds), or almond meal for the dairy milk powder. Another choice could be one of the powdered baby formulas from the supermarket or drugstore: some are soy based others are corn based.

Hope this is helpful!
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#3 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:35 AM

romans828,

Be careful that the rice milk you use doesn't use barley in the manufacturing process!!
I believe Rice Dream does....
Just another thing to check!

I've used coconut milk in place of milk before, and it worked great.
Just another idea. :)

Connie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: