This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rialto Restaurant-boston

Gemini

Gemini Experienced

I feel it is my duty to tell everyone who lives in the Boston area, or those that may visit, that Rialto Restaurant, in the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square, has one of the BEST gluten-free menu's I have ever seen. I was literally blown away!

First I should say this is a very high end place and is on the pricey side. Who cares when you can have gluten-free chocolate lava cake! :o Anyway, it is a special occasion restaurant for most so you have been warned. They offer 4 courses for $60.00 and the portions are on the small side. However, for those that are not used to this type of dining, the reason for the smaller portions is so you can have more courses and sample many different foods, without blowing up on the ride home. When I had finished all 4 courses, I was pleasantly full without feeling sick. I should add that you can order whatever you want and don't have to stick to having 4 courses.

The menu, both gluten-free and non-gluten-free, resembles a book, that's how many things are available. Not some small, 2 dish menu like many places but a whole range of starters, salads, main courses and desserts. They also have them labeled as to which are gluten-free and which can be altered to be made gluten-free.

The staff are attentive and very knowledgeable about Celiac so that was an added bonus. The best dessert was the Chocolate Crema, which is one of those yummy lava cakes that ooze chocolate when you break into it. It is served with a small scoop of coconut ice cream, caramelized bananas and chopped mango. I want to go back for that alone.

I also thought it nice they do a separate menu because the other one has all those things you don't want to know they have. Gnocci, ravioli's, and the like. I thought it so nice that the chef, Jody Adams, put enough thought into it so we wouldn't be focusing on what we can't have. Nice lady and I wrote to tell her so. She has appeared on TV with Julia Child in the past so this is the caliber of her food.

I would say that anyone celebrating a birthday or anniversary or other special day, get thee to Rialto!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sterndogg Apprentice

Wow!! Incredible news!! I work right in Harvard Square and have frequented Henrietta's Table, Noir, Legal Seafood, and the Regattabar but never even thought about Rialto!!! I will be checking out the menu this week!!

Thanks,

Adam

Gemini Experienced
Wow!! Incredible news!! I work right in Harvard Square and have frequented Henrietta's Table, Noir, Legal Seafood, and the Regattabar but never even thought about Rialto!!! I will be checking out the menu this week!!

Thanks,

Adam

No...thank you, Adam, for letting me know Henrietta's Table and Noir are good places to go. You never know how gluten-free friendly some places are until you call them.

Aside from being pricey, you won't be disappointed at Rialto's....the food was incredible. Just tell them you have celiac disease when you make reservations and they'll be ready for you! My wedding anniversary is in October and I'm going back.

Sterndogg Apprentice

I have heard nothing but good reports about Rialto (aside from $$$)! Ofcourse Legal has the gluten-free menu and Henrietta's Table is all organic but has a good selection of options to choose from the menu. As far as Noir is concerned, I've only had drinks there :lol:

NewGFMom Contributor

Does Rialto have a kids menu? Just in case we need somewhere to go with the kids and the in-laws...

Gemini Experienced

No, I don't believe they have a kids menu.....at least I didn't remember seeing one on the menus we had.

It probably isn't the type of place you would take younger children to. I would say for a child 12 or older, it would be fine. Expensive, but fine! You may want to call the restaurant beforehand to see if they accomodate younger kids.

Ellsabeta Newbie

That is SUCH good news!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Rialto has always looked so good, but I never tried it.

I used to frequent the Henrietta's Table Sunday brunch (it is absolutely amazing, but pricey too), pre-diagnosis, but Adam, your nod inspires me to go back.

I feel it is my duty to tell everyone who lives in the Boston area, or those that may visit, that Rialto Restaurant, in the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square, has one of the BEST gluten-free menu's I have ever seen. I was literally blown away!

First I should say this is a very high end place and is on the pricey side. Who cares when you can have gluten-free chocolate lava cake! :o Anyway, it is a special occasion restaurant for most so you have been warned. They offer 4 courses for $60.00 and the portions are on the small side. However, for those that are not used to this type of dining, the reason for the smaller portions is so you can have more courses and sample many different foods, without blowing up on the ride home. When I had finished all 4 courses, I was pleasantly full without feeling sick. I should add that you can order whatever you want and don't have to stick to having 4 courses.

The menu, both gluten-free and non-gluten-free, resembles a book, that's how many things are available. Not some small, 2 dish menu like many places but a whole range of starters, salads, main courses and desserts. They also have them labeled as to which are gluten-free and which can be altered to be made gluten-free.

The staff are attentive and very knowledgeable about Celiac so that was an added bonus. The best dessert was the Chocolate Crema, which is one of those yummy lava cakes that ooze chocolate when you break into it. It is served with a small scoop of coconut ice cream, caramelized bananas and chopped mango. I want to go back for that alone.

I also thought it nice they do a separate menu because the other one has all those things you don't want to know they have. Gnocci, ravioli's, and the like. I thought it so nice that the chef, Jody Adams, put enough thought into it so we wouldn't be focusing on what we can't have. Nice lady and I wrote to tell her so. She has appeared on TV with Julia Child in the past so this is the caliber of her food.

I would say that anyone celebrating a birthday or anniversary or other special day, get thee to Rialto!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced
That is SUCH good news!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Rialto has always looked so good, but I never tried it.

I used to frequent the Henrietta's Table Sunday brunch (it is absolutely amazing, but pricey too), pre-diagnosis, but Adam, your nod inspires me to go back.

Apparently, we have a number of Celiac's here in the Boston area with excellent taste in food! I usually come in to dine with my husband and we meet up with a friend who lives in Cambridge and our goal was to go to as many "Best of Boston" restaurants as we could. That got slightly derailed when I was diagnosed but then picked it up again when I realized that there are a good many places that are willing to cater to people with food issues. Rialto takes top honors for now!

By the way, Elephant Walk also has a gluten-free menu!

Archived