This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cankersores?

Joni63

Joni63 Collaborator

I just went gluten free August 1st.

About a week ago I had a cankersore show up right inside my bottom lip, but lower. That started to heal and now I have one on the side of my tongue. I've only had them very rarely in the past, but never on the tongue! It's under the right side and hurts like $#&*!

My tongue also feels kind of numb on the tip and sides. And my face is breaking out in pimples.

Are these normal reactions to going gluten free? Or could it be something else? What?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

Perhaps you got 'glutened'. Canker sores were a huge symptom of mine pre-diagnosis. I had them constantly for my whole life - hardly without one. I've not had one since.

Joni63 Collaborator
Perhaps you got 'glutened'. Canker sores were a huge symptom of mine pre-diagnosis. I had them constantly for my whole life - hardly without one. I've not had one since.

I'm wondering about that now that you mentioned it lorka150. I never had the D, but always C and I have also had a bit of that. I also had a wierd vision problem for 3 to 4 days. It is possible I got glutened at several different places. I'll have to retrace my tracks. I did eat out at Red Lobster and had shrimp, scallops and lobster with no sauces except the drawn butter, plain baked potato and steamed broccoli, BUT the salad had Balsmic Vinegrette Dressing and I recently read a thread about that being questionable. I didn't ask to look at the ingredients.

I also had baked potato and Chili from Wendy's a while back.

I don't think I'm going to get obvious symptoms like some do. This is scary. I was wondering why this all seemed so easy. Guess it's time to start a food diary.

Is there information about how to start the Celiac diet some place. I've been eating the same variety of foods I always have and just replaced my crackers, bread, pretzels, dressings, etc. with gluten free stuff. Should I limit my diet right now?

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Mouth Sores and Facial break-outs were also big signs of my pre-celiac days. I would eat these veggie chips (which contained wheat) When I was done eating them I would have these sores almost immediately in the back of my mouth, for quite some time I blamed it on my wisdom teeth coming in.

Once I went gluten free I noticed no more mouth sores and my face cleared up. Now the only time it breaks out a bit is during "my time" and that comes with the territory.

SpikeMoore Apprentice

I'm finding hidden gluten sources in lots of restaurant foods. And in processed foods, it's those sneaky things like malt that I haven't always noticed. Also when it says "may contain traces of wheat", that doesn't mean there is no gluten from other sources such as barley malt or rye.

I have heard a lot of people describing canker sores and I know my brother always gets them (has since childhood) and I was wondering if there is anything else that could cause them or if it is usually gluten related.

mandasmom Rookie
I'm finding hidden gluten sources in lots of restaurant foods. And in processed foods, it's those sneaky things like malt that I haven't always noticed. Also when it says "may contain traces of wheat", that doesn't mean there is no gluten from other sources such as barley malt or rye.

I have heard a lot of people describing canker sores and I know my brother always gets them (has since childhood) and I was wondering if there is anything else that could cause them or if it is usually gluten related.

I had almost constant Canker sores pre-diagnosis...even now when I get glutened that is my tell tale sign...Ive never had a single GI symptom.

skyepie Newbie

I used to get canker sores a lot too in my gluten-eating days. They've gone away considerably since going gluten-free. However, I tend to get them when I consume foods that are acidic! Right now our garden is kicking out tons of tomatoes, and I've been eating several each day and have a mouthful of sores. Happens too when I drink a lot of OJ.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Virgie Apprentice

Hi! I have a terrible mouth full of sores at the moment so maybe gluten could be an issue for me too. I'm sure the doctor will probably want to test the rest of the family at my daughters appt. next week.

However, just wanted to let you know that mouth sores is also quite common with people having Crohns Disease or Ulcerative Colitis.

Best to you. :)

Virgie

Joni63 Collaborator

I'll have to check into those 2 things. I just had a colonoscopy, would Crohn's and Ulcer Colitis show up on that?

I don't really have any other symptoms and never really had a lot of cankersores before going gluten free. I'm leaning toward a glutening or two. I have tried really hard to be safe, but I have also tried a lot of different foods in a short period of time. Probably bad when starting this type of diet.

I'm also off in my head and vision and have been for several days. It could be due to my cycle or that I ate out twice, on Thursday and Friday of last week and perhaps had CC. The symptoms did start around that time, but I can't remember exactly when.

I'm starting a food diary and trying to go back to the basics and add only 1 or two new items a week. I also know that nitrites bother me and I tried some spam lite and some Black Bear ham in the past week. I never have had a problem when I eat turkey lunchmeat, but hams have been a problem for quite some time.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone! :)

This board is such a blessing!

Aligray Apprentice

I have always had sores in my mouth also. Now that i have been gluten free for 8 mos i use it as a sign that i have been glutened. Within minutes i will have sores in my tongue and mouth.

Good luck to u!

Yellow Rose Explorer

I read another post several weeks ago about Sodium Lauryl Sulfate being an ingredient in toothpaste that celiac people are sensitive to and has caused mouth sores. Have you changed your toothpaste recently?

Yellow Rose

Joni63 Collaborator
I read another post several weeks ago about Sodium Lauryl Sulfate being an ingredient in toothpaste that celiac people are sensitive to and has caused mouth sores. Have you changed your toothpaste recently?

Yellow Rose

I change different types of Crest's all the time. Unfortunately the box is gone, but it was Whitening with Tarter Control Mint.

Is Tom's of Maine safe? I used to use it, not too tasty but all natural.

• 3 weeks later...
tumtumsmom Newbie

I found this post while surfing through the site... We are in the pre-diagnosis stage for my family. Anyway, my 16 yr old son has had terrible canker sores for most of his life. I read about allergies to SLS in the toothpaste and started purchasing "Squigle toothpaste" online. Ever since then he's only had two canker sores. It's really worth the effort to get it for yourself. Still waiting on his bloodtest for celiac's. No symptoms for him except canker sores and joint pain. Other son had positive blood test and biopsy tomorrow.

Check out dentist.net for the toothpaste.

Joni63 Collaborator
I found this post while surfing through the site... We are in the pre-diagnosis stage for my family. Anyway, my 16 yr old son has had terrible canker sores for most of his life. I read about allergies to SLS in the toothpaste and started purchasing "Squigle toothpaste" online. Ever since then he's only had two canker sores. It's really worth the effort to get it for yourself. Still waiting on his bloodtest for celiac's. No symptoms for him except canker sores and joint pain. Other son had positive blood test and biopsy tomorrow.

Check out dentist.net for the toothpaste.

What is SLS?

sfm Apprentice
I'll have to check into those 2 things. I just had a colonoscopy, would Crohn's and Ulcer Colitis show up on that?

I don't really have any other symptoms and never really had a lot of cankersores before going gluten free. I'm leaning toward a glutening or two. I have tried really hard to be safe, but I have also tried a lot of different foods in a short period of time. Probably bad when starting this type of diet.

I'm also off in my head and vision and have been for several days. It could be due to my cycle or that I ate out twice, on Thursday and Friday of last week and perhaps had CC. The symptoms did start around that time, but I can't remember exactly when.

I'm starting a food diary and trying to go back to the basics and add only 1 or two new items a week. I also know that nitrites bother me and I tried some spam lite and some Black Bear ham in the past week. I never have had a problem when I eat turkey lunchmeat, but hams have been a problem for quite some time.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone! :)

This board is such a blessing!

I just wanted to mention that Hormel is now making additive-free lunch meats - and bacon, too!. I don't have a problem myself with nitrites, but my 8 year old son gets migraines when he eats lunchmeat with them, so we have switched. I like Applegate Farms brand, but it isn't available in the local grocery store - the Hormel is.

Sheryll

Cruiser Bob Newbie

Canker sores in mouth - - rinse mouth with Aloe Vera juice = sores gone in 24 hours.

At least that's how I've dealt with mouth sores for the past 10+- years. I'll have to start paying more attention to when they pop out - which is rarely any more. Bob

mamabear Explorer

Mouth ulcers from a pinpoint blister that pokes out until it pops,,,to superficial ulcers on my gums, tongue feels scalded....yep, that's my first or close second signs I've been glutened.

A combo of liquid benadryl/liquid maalox/and Rx viscous lidocaine (swish and spit out) also helps.

Oh yes! Staying on high dose vitamin B complex and Vit C is the best preventative besides the gluten-free diet! :D

cyberprof Enthusiast
Mouth ulcers from a pinpoint blister that pokes out until it pops,,,to superficial ulcers on my gums, tongue feels scalded....yep, that's my first or close second signs I've been glutened.

A combo of liquid benadryl/liquid maalox/and Rx viscous lidocaine (swish and spit out) also helps.

Oh yes! Staying on high dose vitamin B complex and Vit C is the best preventative besides the gluten-free diet! :D

My DS has not yet been diagnosed (age 14, going to GI next week) had a bakery sample and got a canker sore before he left the store! Really quick reaction! I think that is what made him realize that I wasn't just "over-reacting"!

Archived