Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Slightly Protruding Rib

8 posts in this topic

I have noticed that on my left hand side, one of my middle ribs protrudes further out than the other right. I am trying work out what could be causing this. I want to rule out problems with my stomach if possible. My stomach did tend to get bloated when eating gluten but reduced alot now i am off it. I wonder if this bloating could be pushing the rib out. i know it sounds strange as its only one rib.

Anyone heard of this, should i visit the doctor or chriopracter do you think? :rolleyes:

Thanks

Ads by Google:

I wouldn't think bloating would cause that, especially if it a rib higher up like that where you are getting above the stomach into the lung area. But who knows?

Could you be developing some scoliosis? Leaching of calcium from the bones due to mal absorption of minerals from your celiac disease might cause this as the vertebra become misshapen and the spine begins to twist and curve. I myself have developed both kyphosis and a little scoliosis. Have you had a bone density scan done?

Steve

I wouldn't think bloating would cause that, especially if it a rib higher up like that where you are getting above the stomach into the lung area. But who knows?

Could you be developing some scoliosis? Leaching of calcium from the bones due to mal absorption of minerals from your celiac disease might cause this as the vertebra become misshapen and the spine begins to twist and curve. I myself have developed both kyphosis and a little scoliosis. Have you had a bone density scan done?

Steve

Yes Steve, i had a bone density test and it was fine.

I have noticed that on my left hand side, one of my middle ribs protrudes further out than the other right. I am trying work out what could be causing this. I want to rule out problems with my stomach if possible. My stomach did tend to get bloated when eating gluten but reduced alot now i am off it. I wonder if this bloating could be pushing the rib out. i know it sounds strange as its only one rib.

Anyone heard of this, should i visit the doctor or chriopracter do you think? :rolleyes:

Thanks

This is the first response I have written on this site, so hopefully I am responding in the right place. I may be experiencing the same problem and my immediate assumption was that it was associated with my work out routine, but my sister and mother think I should see my physician about it. Could you tell me if this left rib is hurting?

em

This is the first time I've visited this site but I'm astounded at how many things I've noticed we all have in common already.

I have a protruding rib on my right side but I saw a chiropractor about for several years without much help. A year ago I visited a physical therapist who found out that one leg was actually about 3/4" shorter than the other which caused many structural problems including the protruding rib. Of course, I can't say if you would have anything similar, but I've gotten orthotics (that fit in my shoes) that correct the leg shortness and the rib has gotten much better.

Hope that helps.

Steve

This was my first thought too: scoliosis. My husband has this....ribcage chest is crooked....one side is more pronounced or higher than the other, and when you examine his back, it's crooked in the same shape. This got more pronounced as he lost more weight and muscle across his chest and back. Perhaps you have always had it, but never noticed for the same reason?

Additionaly, I believe my husband has Marfan's syndrome which is another auto immune condition and one of the markers is a crooked chest.....long lanky limbs (think President Lincoln).

Deb

Weird - my left rib sticks out too. So far as I can remember, it always has, although it was not as noticeable 40lbs ago. :lol: I went to a chiropractor last year who said I had some scoliosis; and a bone density scan a few months ago showed borderline osteopena (sp?) I never figured either could have anything to do with the rib, though. Interesting...

Mine does the same. Every doctor I've talked to (and I've had quite good luck with my doctors) have said that it may be quite normal - we're not actually symmetric). It is still there after correcting what it essentially a leg length difference (it's in the pelvis, not the leg, but it's effectively the same thing by the time you get to my sacrum) and realigning my spine. It may not be a problem at all.