7 replies to this topic

#1 whattodo

whattodo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:35 AM

I have noticed that on my left hand side, one of my middle ribs protrudes further out than the other right. I am trying work out what could be causing this. I want to rule out problems with my stomach if possible. My stomach did tend to get bloated when eating gluten but reduced alot now i am off it. I wonder if this bloating could be pushing the rib out. i know it sounds strange as its only one rib.

Anyone heard of this, should i visit the doctor or chriopracter do you think? :rolleyes:

Thanks
Hope i dont become a nuisance but there are so many questions i need to ask

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 trents

trents

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:28 AM

I wouldn't think bloating would cause that, especially if it a rib higher up like that where you are getting above the stomach into the lung area. But who knows?

Could you be developing some scoliosis? Leaching of calcium from the bones due to mal absorption of minerals from your celiac disease might cause this as the vertebra become misshapen and the spine begins to twist and curve. I myself have developed both kyphosis and a little scoliosis. Have you had a bone density scan done?

Steve

#3 whattodo

whattodo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:05 AM

I wouldn't think bloating would cause that, especially if it a rib higher up like that where you are getting above the stomach into the lung area. But who knows?

Could you be developing some scoliosis? Leaching of calcium from the bones due to mal absorption of minerals from your celiac disease might cause this as the vertebra become misshapen and the spine begins to twist and curve. I myself have developed both kyphosis and a little scoliosis. Have you had a bone density scan done?

Steve

Yes Steve, i had a bone density test and it was fine.
Hope i dont become a nuisance but there are so many questions i need to ask

#4 Lives_on_chocolate

Lives_on_chocolate

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:00 AM

I have noticed that on my left hand side, one of my middle ribs protrudes further out than the other right. I am trying work out what could be causing this. I want to rule out problems with my stomach if possible. My stomach did tend to get bloated when eating gluten but reduced alot now i am off it. I wonder if this bloating could be pushing the rib out. i know it sounds strange as its only one rib.

Anyone heard of this, should i visit the doctor or chriopracter do you think? :rolleyes:

Thanks

This is the first response I have written on this site, so hopefully I am responding in the right place. I may be experiencing the same problem and my immediate assumption was that it was associated with my work out routine, but my sister and mother think I should see my physician about it. Could you tell me if this left rib is hurting?

em

#5 Tantwan

Tantwan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:56 PM

This is the first time I've visited this site but I'm astounded at how many things I've noticed we all have in common already.

I have a protruding rib on my right side but I saw a chiropractor about for several years without much help. A year ago I visited a physical therapist who found out that one leg was actually about 3/4" shorter than the other which caused many structural problems including the protruding rib. Of course, I can't say if you would have anything similar, but I've gotten orthotics (that fit in my shoes) that correct the leg shortness and the rib has gotten much better.

Hope that helps.

#6 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:26 AM

Steve

This was my first thought too: scoliosis. My husband has this....ribcage chest is crooked....one side is more pronounced or higher than the other, and when you examine his back, it's crooked in the same shape. This got more pronounced as he lost more weight and muscle across his chest and back. Perhaps you have always had it, but never noticed for the same reason?

Additionaly, I believe my husband has Marfan's syndrome which is another auto immune condition and one of the markers is a crooked chest.....long lanky limbs (think President Lincoln).

Deb
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#7 moonlitemama

moonlitemama

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

Weird - my left rib sticks out too. So far as I can remember, it always has, although it was not as noticeable 40lbs ago. :lol: I went to a chiropractor last year who said I had some scoliosis; and a bone density scan a few months ago showed borderline osteopena (sp?) I never figured either could have anything to do with the rib, though. Interesting...
Raechel
GI "issues" since Nov. 2006;
negative bloodwork for Celiac February 2007
positive Enterolab for Gluten & Casein intolerances 8/7/07
soy-free since 5/07, gluten-free since 6/9/07, dairy-free since 8/9/07, glutamate-free since 7/13/07, trying to find answers...

DS (2yrs)
negative bloodwork 11/07; positive Enterolab for Gluten & Casein Intolerance 12/10/07
dairy & gluten free since 12/11/07

DSs (6yrs & 8yrs)
positive Enterolab for Gluten & Casein Intolerance 1/10/08
dairy & gluten free since 1/11/08

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

Mine does the same. Every doctor I've talked to (and I've had quite good luck with my doctors) have said that it may be quite normal - we're not actually symmetric). It is still there after correcting what it essentially a leg length difference (it's in the pelvis, not the leg, but it's effectively the same thing by the time you get to my sacrum) and realigning my spine. It may not be a problem at all.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: