#1 faegan

faegan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:55 AM

Hi, All.

I think this might win the "graphic post of the week" award.

I am currently having an issue with my BMs. Usually they are normal. However, sometimes they start normal but then they end up somewhere between normal and diarrhea. I have stopped eating dairy to see if it's the issue, and it's gotten a bit better but has not gone away.

I have gone to one of the best celiac doctors about the issue, and he has not been able to identify the exact issue. My blood work is normal, and my villae have grown back to normal since my dx and move to gluten-free diet 16 months ago. If it were a gluten issue, my blood work I think would have reflected it because I was tested and had the repeat biopsy while I was having the problem.

Looking for suggestions!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hathor

hathor

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

Have you tried keeping a food diary? If the problem follows a particular food, you may discover another food intolerance or something that is cross-contaminated.

With the elimination of dairy, did you also start making sure you don't eat anything to which casein or a caseinate has been added? It is possible to get casein in nondairy items.

You might see if you are reacting to soy. That seems to be a common third intolerance for folks.

Beyond that, I would check your personal care items. A week ago I thought to look at the hair gel that I'd started using a few months ago (found it when cleaning out my bathroom and thought, "Hey, I might as well use this!) and saw it had hydrolyzed wheat starch and hydrolyzed wheat protein in it. I shudder to think of that gluelike stuff on my fingers (under my nails, etc), my rather casual rinsing of my fingers, all the times I touch my hair (restyling with wet fingers!), etc. AND all the times my fingers go into my mouth in the course of the day (eating, flossing, taking pills, etc.) No wonder I still had symptoms at times despite all the careful attention to my diet. I cut that out a week ago and I've been having the best poo of my life :lol:

Now, WHO is being graphic :rolleyes:

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: