Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

My Bread Machine

13 posts in this topic

I got a bread machine for Christmas and now I'm wondering if I should return it cause I can't for the life of me get a descent loaf of bread out of it.

The recipe I'm using is in the 125 best gluten free book by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt. They say to put it at 2 hour basic rapid cycle. Well my bread machine has like 3 settings, 70 min rapid cycle which it says that only thier recipe works with it and two other ones, 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 hours or something.

The bread machine is a black and decker all-in-one and from what I'm reading I might as well boot it down the road. I bought it to avoid mixing and rising and it makes absolutely no sense to have one if you have to mix it and rise it outside of the machine. Is there an easy bread recipe? When I try to make it in the machine it turns out much like a bowling ball. As well, its expensive blowing recipes like this.

Honestly, if I can't make it in a bread machine then I'll probably go without bread period as my life of preparing food is a full time job being celiac as it is.

Nathan

Ads by Google:

Nathan,

Well, I'll be honest and say that I have never had better luck than when I make my bread by hand. For me it seems to take less time as well, I can mix, rise and bake of a loaf in 2 hours and some of the machines take more than a few hours to get the job done.

But, don't take my honesty as a "give it up" on the contrary, there are lots and lots of folks on this board who swear by their machines and I am sure that they can either give you some advice, or give you a recipe to try.

If you just got the machine for Christmas, give it another try after you get some tips from the people here, it would be a shame to have to give up bread and a great gift.

Take Care!

Thanks for the reply,

Does anyone have a recipe or a way that I can use my bread machine?

Nathan:

Check your grocery store for "Bob's Red Mill" gluten-free bread Mix, it should be in the health food section with the gluten-free flours. Here it runs over $5 a bag.

I hope you are able to enjoy some bread soon! :)

hi stacie :D

i am wondering where you can get the bobs red mill bread mix i make my bread by hand but put it in the bread maker to bake as at the moment its so hot here im in australia weather about 40oC so i dont light the oven...... :huh:

i would love to see if it is available here

jacque

Jacque, Try bobsredmill.com and ordering over the web, if you can't find it anywhere. Shirley in San Diego

midnightjewel40: I was able to find it at Kroger, I don't know if each of them sell it but you might ask if they would order it for ya! Or like Shirley said and order it online. :D

We purchased a Zojirushi BBCC-X20 bread machine recently, and it turns out a good loaf of bread. It makes it in a rectangle - just like the store! (Gluten Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix is our favorite so far). I got the recommendation on machine from this web site. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

I make two loaves of bread in my bread machine every week. It works fine but please note "DO NOT FOLLOW MANUFACTURERS DIRECTIONS ON BREAD MACHINE". Any of Bette Hagman's recipies work well, however, use your bread machine a little differently. Gluten free bread rises the first time great, gets punched down and never rises to the same extent again. It also is a little heavier for the poor machine to mix. Try the following: (a) remove bread pan from machine (B) start bread machine empty on basic cycle. ©premix wets of recipe put in bottom of pan you removed from bread machine.(d) premix drys, put on top of wets in same pan.(e)insert pan into bread machine when it stops for the first rest cycle.(this will not hurt bread machine - I spoke to manufacturer).

This way the bread gets one 20 minute mix, one hour rise, one hour bake. Works great. If your loaves are flat and not nice and roundy on top like wheat bread try decreasing water by one tablespoon and increasing oil by one tablespoon. I also find for a two pound loaf, I am using 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, 2 1/2 teaspoons of xanthum. These ratios are important for the proper chemistry like reaction. The total weight of my liquids (including eggs and sugar) equals 85% of the weight of my flour mixture. This is also important. Good Luck!

Donna

The Zojirushi is the best for gluten-free bread that I have found. For gluten-free bread, you really need 2 paddles -- most bread machines just have one.

I use gluten-free Pantry Favorite sandwich bread.

If you don't feel like baking your own, Kinnikinnick (www.kinnikinnick.com) has some very good ready made bread. They'll ship to you from Canada. (It is the only ready made gluten-free bread that I will eat). They have several flavors and all are good.

Good luck.

Hi there all thanks for the help i have emailed bobs redmill ;) and am waiting for a reply. :o :: where are you stacie as i dont know of a place you said selling the producthuh i live in country victoria B) in australia hope someone can help

Hi midnightjewel40, I live in the States, in Georgia. I hope you can find the products in your area.

Donna, what type of bread machine do you have? Am thinking about getting one and thought your method sounded good. So far, I haven't had much luck in making a good loaf of bread in the oven. Has anyone tried the Amranth Bread recipe suggested by Karen Robertson in her bread class? Jo Ann