Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is Flourless Sprouted Whole Grain Bread Ok?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 Melzee

Melzee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

Does anyone know if the Ezekiel flourless sprouted whole grain bread is OK? I have been searching for a bread that has the same texture as "regular" bread, but still haven't found anything that is gluten free and good. The Ezekiel would be acceptable if it is in fact gluten-free. Or does anyone have any suggestions on a decent bread or recipe?? HELP!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

If you read the ingredient list, you'll see that the Ezekiel bread is still made from grains we can't have, which means that it is *not* safe.
I don't have a good alternative for you as I've opted to do without bread - it was a fairly easy adaptation.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:18 AM

Hi, do a bit of a search on this forum and you'll see some bread recipes recommended. I personally am using one that was posted here that is made on the fast cycle of a bread machine. We like it and I have served it to several non gluten-free people who were very surprised it was gluten-free.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#4 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:21 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent bread or recipe?? HELP!

Hi 'Melzee',
A lot of people don't want to or have not got the time to make bread from scratch, they prefer to use
bread mixes ! I on the other hand have developed delicious bread made from scratch.
If you have time and are interested in making bread that behaves like wheat bread and tastes great
here are a couple of links, (you even get a photo of the finished product).
Loaf and Roll Recipe
Crusty Artisan Breads
Hope this helps and gives you inspiration.
Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#5 Melzee

Melzee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:38 AM

Hi 'Melzee',
A lot of people don't want to or have not got the time to make bread from scratch, they prefer to use
bread mixes ! I on the other hand have developed delicious bread made from scratch.
If you have time and are interested in making bread that behaves like wheat bread and tastes great
here are a couple of links, (you even get a photo of the finished product).
Loaf and Roll Recipe
Crusty Artisan Breads
Hope this helps and gives you inspiration.
Best Regards,
David

Dave-Thanks for the tip on the bread recipes. I have tried both from scratch and mixes, not to mention store bought bread and still haven't found any that my hubby will eat. I'll give these two a shot. Actually the Crusty artisan bread looks pretty good from the picture. It's my husband that has Celiac and he's always been a picky eater too, a double whammy for me as the chief cook here at home. Keep your fingers crossed that he might like one of these!! Thanks again!!
Melissa

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

As stated that bread is not safe, the one bread company I have found that has a bread with the same texture as the poison stuff is Kinnikinnick. They can be ordered from on line and some stores may be able to stock it for you. They have an italian white and a brown rice that are really good as well as pizza crusts and oreo type cookies that you can actually bite into.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

I really like www.glutenfree4me.com

Their bread comes thinly sliced, and it is delicious. I also like using their hot dog buns...not for hot dogs, but for slicing it up and using with dips, etc.

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

Not safe. I fell for that one when daughter was first diagnosed. Lady at the health food store insisted it was safe because when sprouted, it becomes a "live" food. And that may be. But it's still wheat or spelt or whatever grain it is. Daughter got really sick from the stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: