#1 Quetico

Quetico

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm gluten-intolerant and have adhered to a gluten-free diet for three years. Prior to going gluten-free I was extremely ill. You all know the side-effects. I was on Celebrex for rheumatic conditions and always had an overall ache in my body.

One year ago I was diagnosed with hip-dysplasia and had reconstructive surgery at the Mayo. The recovery will take a year to get to 100% I'm 29, live an active lifestyle (as active as my hip allows) in a Colorado mtn. town. Anyway, my recovery is going very well. However, the other day I got glutened. I ate yogurt (Safeway's new O Organics brand) that was questionable. It might have been the natural flavor. I immediately had that stabbing feeling in my gut, and this was followed by severe pain in my hip, and it still hurt the next day, as did my stomach.

I'm wondering if the gluten I ate caused my joints to be inflammed and aggravated my hip pain.

Has anyone else had an experience where a bad joint has become worse following the ingestion of gluten?

I'm hoping it was just the gluten that caused my hip to hurt so bad, and not that my hip is just getting worse.

Any shared stories would be great!
Thanks!
Casey

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 horsegirl

horsegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

Hi Casey,
My main symptoms associated with gluten are similar to fibromyalgia (painful muscles, fatigue, tender spots all over) & a general achiness & heaviness in my arms & legs. I also notice that my osteoarthritis pain is MUCH more severe in my joints when I've been glutened. I have arthritis in all 3 regions of my spine, my toes, fingers, & mild hip dysplasia too (no surgery recommended).
I'm sure some of the damage to my joints is from years of not knowing I was gluten intolerant.
So, it's certainly not unusual for you to have joint pain from gluten. Some people on this forum have also told me it could be soy intolerance too, which can cause joint pain.

But, if the pain doesn't go away after a little while as your body gets rid of the gluten, I think you
should contact your doctor, just to make sure it's not something else going on in your hip.

Good luck to you. I can relate to having orthopedic & neurological problems at a young age...
I'm only 36 now, & had back surgery when I was 20.

Keep in touch if you'd like!
Martha
Diagnosed Fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis in multiple joints 12/06

Diagnosed gluten intolerant through dietary trials 8/07
Enterolab positive for gluten, casein, soy, egg
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 6,6)

Gluten free 8/10/07
Casein free 8/27/07
Soy & egg free 9/8/07
Eggs back again (whoo hoo!) 11/08

Diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome 12/09
Starting various supplements/vitamins in hopes of feeling better!

#3 Quetico

Quetico

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:33 PM

[quote name='horsegirl' date='Aug 28 2007, 01:10 AM' post='339134']
Hi Casey,
My main symptoms associated with gluten are similar to fibromyalgia (painful muscles, fatigue, tender spots all over) & a general achiness & heaviness in my arms & legs. I also notice that my osteoarthritis pain is MUCH more severe in my joints when I've been glutened. I have arthritis in all 3 regions of my spine, my toes, fingers, & mild hip dysplasia too (no surgery recommended).
I'm sure some of the damage to my joints is from years of not knowing I was gluten intolerant.
So, it's certainly not unusual for you to have joint pain from gluten. Some people on this forum have also told me it could be soy intolerance too, which can cause joint pain.

But, if the pain doesn't go away after a little while as your body gets rid of the gluten, I think you
should contact your doctor, just to make sure it's not something else going on in your hip.

Good luck to you. I can relate to having orthopedic & neurological problems at a young age...
I'm only 36 now, & had back surgery when I was 20.

Keep in touch if you'd like!
Martha

Hi Martha,

Still having hip pain today, so I'm going to the doc to get looked at and rule out any possible damage. No doubt the gluten made it worse. That was Sunday afternoon when I ate gluten and the pain started Now it been 2 days and the pain hasn't subsided. How long does the gluten seem to affect your joints?

I used to have the same kind of symptoms you mentioned...achiness, tender spots, very sensitive skin (it almost felt sunburnt). The list goes on...what a miracle to have discovered it was gluten and, other than my hip, I feel so healthy compared to before going gluten-free.

When did you discover you were gluten-intolerant/celiac? I started feeling ill when I was 20 and it took quite awhile before getting diagnosed. I remember when I was a junior in college and my body feeling like an 80 year old's. I still have that feeling sometimes, but not as bad.

Thanks Martha! Any other advice on dealing with your arthritis? Ever tried acupunture?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: