Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Hydrolyzed Yeast Extract, Hydrolyzed Whey? Gf?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 kactuskandee

kactuskandee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:41 PM

On the non-gluten-free food list on this site it only says Hydrolyzed Wheat is not gluten-free, but in another article I read stay away from the word "Hydrolyzed" period.

I have two products. One is Trader Joe's Whey Protein Powder and one of the ingredients is "Hydrolyzed Whey". Another is Anderson's FF Split Pea soup, listing Hydrolyzed Yeast Extract in the ingredients. Can't seem to contact either company and I'm not sure how I'd ask the question anyway.

Anyone know about these two "hydrolyzed" items?

Oh, how I would hate to have to give these products up.

Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mswift

mswift

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:30 PM

Hydrolyzed means to undergo the addition of hydrogen (or water), yeast is a fungi, and whey comes from milk. These items by their definition wouldn't contain any wheat; however, cross contamination could still be a potential issue. Protien powders are made in factories that also make protien bars and many of these bars contain wheat. This doesn't necessarily mean that the powder will have wheat in it, but could be a concern.

You definately need to be suspect if the ingredient says, "hydrolyzed vegitable protien" as vegitable is too general of a term.

This said, I use a whey protien powder myself on a daily basis, although not TJ's, and I have had Anderson's pea soup once with no problems.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Mike

Seattle Area

Was found to have Iron deficient anemia in March 2003, endoscopy confirmed Celiac July 2003. Also, discovered Osteopenia condition July 2003.

#3 kactuskandee

kactuskandee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:37 PM

Thank you Mike for your reply and precise description. It all makes perfect sense. My concern was more toward the yeast because of being suspicious of how it was produced, say on bread, which I had read somewhere. (Am I nuts?) Whey was my least concern however, I had to DC the TJ's whey protein because it did list wheat, an initial oversite on my part. I've since gone to using Solgar's "Whey to Go", in hopes that it is ok. (I'm still researching it, since I bought it before being diagnosed gluten intolerant). Good point about the factories making protein bars that contain wheat and thus a set up for cross contamination.

I'll watch out for hydrolyzed veg protein. Thanks for the tip. I'm just about to throw out some veg broth powder for lots of suspicious ingredients, and I believe that was listed as one of them.

I contacted Anderson Soup company and they informed me their soup was in fact gluten-free....Ahhh, I'm in heaven again, and without fear.

Thank you again--- and Happy Holidays,
Kandee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: