This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Oats

glen4cindy

glen4cindy Apprentice

I read on another forum a post regarding some study on oats.

Here is the link: Open Original Shared Link

In the beginning of my quest to investigate why I was always sick after eating, I found my way here when my Dr. suggested bread as the source of my problems. Further investigation revealed Celiac or gluten intolerance. I had only eliminated actual bread. I had not considered breaded foods like chicken & fish. Well, at that time, I was almost ecstatic for having found this site. Now I am in a state of utter disgust. I am finding more and more and more that I have to avoid, and now it's getting depressing. I am to the point where I hate to even go ANYWHERE to eat, for fear of eating gluten of some kind, having to ask about everything, having to hope that "spices" don't cause a problem, until I can write the company for information. Some companies have never responded, so I will simply avoid them.

Now, I run across this information that indicates I may have to reject oats too. Where will this end? I guess I need to adopt a plain rice diet! :(

I am not trying to dump on everyone here, but, I am just at a point of real depression here, but, am not interested in medication, but, I just almost want to stay home and never leave! One good thing, and I guess it's good, is that I am currently self-employed, so I don't have to worry about what I am going to eat for lunch everyday, at least this is a good thing.

Oats, so far, have not been a problem for me. I have been eating a bowl of oatmeal every Sunday morning before church. Peaches - N - Cream, Strawberries - N - Cream, Cinnamon Roll, all are gluten-free unless I have to start avoiding OATS now!

What has everyone else found? Are oats out now too?

Thanks in advance for listening!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) the only thing i want you to think about is: <_< do you want to eat the oats knowing that possibly they are still causing damage to your villi-- :unsure: for me, oats are too risky to think about trying---i accidentally was eating barley in a corncake that i didnt realize was there :( --the barley didnt make me physically ill the way wheat does, but i know it was still in my system causing problems :ph34r: lurking around--the vote is still out on oats--my sister is a celiac too and she and i both have been bothered by oatmeal our whole lives----so, i say you should stay away from it ;) ------gluten-free is a challenge at first, but my life is so much better for having gone gluten-free--i dont look at giving up all those things as a sacrifice--i look at this as my lifestyle and the best i can be--deb :D
tarnalberry Community Regular

With the recent study showing that even McCanns is contaminated above Codex standards, I'd say that oats are indeed out. But it sounds like you're simply removing things from your diet instead of adding things. It's time to start adding.

Everything (except the packaged/processed crap they want you to think you need) in the produce section is gluten free. There's a lot you can do with fruits and vegetables. (Fruit salads, vegetable salads, stir fries, a bazillion ways to make potates or squash, raw with dip, steamed with teriyaki sauce, sauteed with herbs, soups, etc...) Almost all natural products at the meat and fish counter are gluten-free, and you can do oodles with that as well. (Baked, stewed, braised, grilled, broiled, stir-fried, sauteed, etc...) And there are still plenty of grains you can have - and things that take their place in a diet. (Corn, beans, rice, millet, buckwheat or kasha, rice pasta, etc.)

You've done a good job identifying things you can't have so far - now start moving to search out the things you can have.

glen4cindy Apprentice

Thanks very much for the tips!

I have always tried to have the attitude that the AVOID list is shorter than the GOOD list, but, there is some depression in this whole thing.

Is there a source that would list an inventory of gluten-free items in the grocery store? I asked at my Schnucks if they had some sort of inventory of the food grocery items so I could make my own list, but, they don't have such a thing available to the public, and I don't want to re-invent the wheel. Is there something available like this?

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
Tucson Newbie

I found that Whole Foods stores have a 12 page list of all their gluten-free products! No other store cares that much!

But, I've notices that when people try all the gluten-free breads, brownies, desserts they complain of gaining weight!

So, maybe it's better to stick to veggies, fruits and meats. I have lost some weight going gluten-free and I want to stay that way!

Fixing the family their food is definitely difficult! My husband says, "When are we going to have any real bread around here!"

It takes around 2 weeks to get used to a new habit, or a change, so a gluten-free diet is all in getting used to it. Then, it isn't so depressing.

:)

Deby Apprentice

(Fruit salads, vegetable salads, stir fries, a bazillion ways to make potates or squash, raw with dip, steamed with teriyaki sauce, sauteed with herbs, soups, etc...)

Be careful of teriyaki sauce. There is soy sauce in teriyaki sauce and most of those have wheat.

You can make your own Teriyaki sauce with gluten-free soy sauce and sugar or pineapple juice.

gypsyfey Newbie

OK, now I am confused. We just added oats back into our diet because the level of contamination was found to be so low that it wouldn't bother celiacs. I have not seen any adverse reactions, and I have been using oats in place of bread crumbs for meatloaf, and as a crust for cheesecake etc. I know celiacs were told for years to avoid oats, but it is now listed as a safe food on celiac.com.

Open Original Shared Link

that page has links to lots of studies saying that oats are safe. But as we all know, the only true test is how you personally react to any product

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

girlygirl Newbie
But, I've notices that when people try all the gluten-free breads, brownies, desserts they complain of gaining weight!

The reason so many people start to gain weight is that many glutenfree products have high glycemic ingredients in them. I have to read the ingredient list carefully to avoid this pitfall. I won't buy anything with potato flour or tapioca flours as they are just as bad for you as eating white bread. Many of the breads have these high glycemic flours in them. Many gluten free products have alot of added sugars as well. It is very challenging to say the least.

The important thing to remember or else you will go crazy is to focus on what you can have instead of what you can't have.

Archived