10 replies to this topic

#1 jaten

jaten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:34 PM

I thought caramel was a no-no. Come to think of it, I'm not sure where I got that idea, but it has been solidly in my mind.

Recently, I've seen a couple of references to items that contain caramel as being gluten-free. A cake recipe and most recently some kind of candy.

Is caramel always a concern? A concern under certain conditions? Never a concern (any more than the average item)?

Please put me on the right path. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

I thought caramel was a no-no. Come to think of it, I'm not sure where I got that idea, but it has been solidly in my mind.

Recently, I've seen a couple of references to items that contain caramel as being gluten-free. A cake recipe and most recently some kind of candy.

Is caramel always a concern? A concern under certain conditions? Never a concern (any more than the average item)?

Please put me on the right path. Thank you!

I think it was one of the old thoughts that became clarified with time. I do remember it being a concern a few years ago.

But, there are some people here who cannot drink Coke or Pepsi, but will be fine with 7-up. I have never had any issues with caramel coloring or other.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Joni63

Joni63

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hey jaten,

I have a book titled "Gluten Free Diet" by Shelley Case and in it it says this about caramel color:

* Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolsates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose syrup derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten. *

Here is her bio so I trust her book. :)

Shelley Case, BSc., RD, is a leading North American nutrition expert on celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. She is a member of the Medical Advisory Boards of the Celiac Disease Foundation and Gluten Intolerance Group in the United States and the Professional Advisory Board of the Canadian Celiac Association. A popular speaker and educator, she is a frequent gurest on television and radio, including the NBC Today Show. She has written many articles in publicagions such as Gastroenterology, Pediatrics, Jouranal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics and Today's Dietitian. In recognition for her dedication to educating health professionals and individuals with celiac disease in North America, Shelley received the Queen Elizabeth Golden Jubilee Medal.

Hope this helps, I find this book a great resource!

Joni
Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

Caramel
Color Golden brown to dark brown
Source Burnt sugar and other carbohydrates
Solubility water
Stability of the caramel contains negative charge Acts as an emulsifier
Application baked goods, poultry, milk, canned meats, syrups and soups

I see nothing that could be gluten related.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 Eriella

Eriella

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:10 PM

Most caramel coloring is safe, and a lot of caramel candies are safe as well (the ones my grandmother makes are). Carmel color comes from the chemical reaction of heating sugar, sugars is gluten free (but not necessarily casein free); thus, true caramel is gluten free. However, artificial crap tends not to be safe, the real thing, or anywhere near as good as the real thing.
Symptoms on and off my whole life
Major symptoms starting 2005
Zero blood antibodies
Gluten free with positive dietary response since April 2007

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

Shouldn't be a concern for gluten, but might be a concern if you can't have dairy. The coloring is usually free of dairy but the candies aren't.

#7 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

And, if it (or any other ingredient) were to be wheat, wheat related, wheat derived, etc....it would be required to be listed by FDA law, since wheat is an 8 main allergen.

#8 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

And, if it (or any other ingredient) were to be wheat, wheat related, wheat derived, etc....it would be required to be listed by FDA law, since wheat is an 8 main allergen.

Yes, but this does not cover barley, rye, oats.

#9 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

Thank you all for your answers. Joni, that does sound like a good source, and it corresponds to something I have since read on my own.

"Caramel color According to the FDA Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), caramel color can be made from barley malt. But US companies use corn because it makes a better product."

From GlutenFreeLiving http://glutenfreeliv...ngredients.html

#10 Joni63

Joni63

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:06 AM

Thank you all for your answers. Joni, that does sound like a good source, and it corresponds to something I have since read on my own.

"Caramel color According to the FDA Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), caramel color can be made from barley malt. But US companies use corn because it makes a better product."

From GlutenFreeLiving http://glutenfreeliv...ngredients.html

It is a great source. It was a pricey $25.00, but it has detailed information on every ingredient a celiac should question and which ones are safe, and it has all the current FDA regulations. Theres a section about vitamins in foods and vitamin deficiencies of the celiac, some general baking hints and a few recipes, and a list of gluten free products and manufacturers. It is really helping me clear up my questions about what ingredients I can eat safely and when I have to call companies.

Also, there are some companies who will clearly say that their labeling policy is to list all barley, rye, oats and wheat in their products. Progesso for example, is one of them. I tend to stick with those companies.
Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

#11 submarinerwife

submarinerwife

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:39 AM

Although for the most part the caramel color is made with cornstarch in the US I believe some still use gluten as well. I have no dairy intolerance and have had a reaction twice to two different products whose only incriminating ingredient was caramel color. Now actual caramel I have not had a problem with.
Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: