Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten "allergy" Mentioned On Tonight Show

5 posts in this topic

On Leno on 11/9/04 (it may have been a rerun I didn't catch the opening) Eddie Izzard, a British comedian, mentioned his gluten "allergy." Leno wanted to know what exactly it was he was allergic to and Izzard mentioned gluten. Leno had never really heard of it and Izzard said something to the effect of gluten being tiny little animals that lived in wheat. Said he broke out with tiny little "glutens" all over his body. It was pretty funny. He said something like "apparently it's really bad stuff and no one's eating it anymore." Ha, yeah. Wanda Sykes said she had heard of it and chimed in saying she didn't care as long as it wasn't in beer. Ironic, eh. Oh well, maybe you've got your celeb spokesperson some of you have been wanting. Fits the bill, fair skin redhead. Guess no exposure is bad exposure.

Ads by Google:

Oh, I love Eddie Izzard. :lol:

There's a "profile" for celiacs? Fair skin, red hair you say? Hmm. Would figure...

:D there is a very popular sports player in michigan that is a spokeperson for celiacs--i cant remember who it is though <_< hmmmmmmmmm anyways, i know there is because my sister has mentioned it before--i think there are some very important spokes people for celiacs right here in this forum--i have learned so much :D i would like to see some major coverage on this disease on tv though--it would be very helpful for so many people--deb :D

Yes, Nukapai, I suppose you could say there's a profile. I believe it's more frequent in those of northern European descent. Thus the fair skin fair hair. That's what my doc said anyway. My first visit she immediately mentioned Celiac b/c of my fair complexion and red hair, and then she asked about my lineage of which I haven't a clue.

Reminds me of the joke: "I resemble that remark!"

Don't overlook the swarthy Mediterranean types (my celiac husband). Black/brown hair, brown eyes, sallow-olive complexion.

Perhaps one of the celiac groups can with permission of the celiac celebrity, put out a pamphlet with their photos and talk about their experiences with celiac?