4 replies to this topic

#1 dustina

dustina

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:24 PM

On Leno on 11/9/04 (it may have been a rerun I didn't catch the opening) Eddie Izzard, a British comedian, mentioned his gluten "allergy." Leno wanted to know what exactly it was he was allergic to and Izzard mentioned gluten. Leno had never really heard of it and Izzard said something to the effect of gluten being tiny little animals that lived in wheat. Said he broke out with tiny little "glutens" all over his body. It was pretty funny. He said something like "apparently it's really bad stuff and no one's eating it anymore." Ha, yeah. Wanda Sykes said she had heard of it and chimed in saying she didn't care as long as it wasn't in beer. Ironic, eh. Oh well, maybe you've got your celeb spokesperson some of you have been wanting. Fits the bill, fair skin redhead. Guess no exposure is bad exposure.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Nukapai_*

Guest_Nukapai_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:32 AM

Oh, I love Eddie Izzard. :lol:

There's a "profile" for celiacs? Fair skin, red hair you say? Hmm. Would figure...

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:42 AM

:D there is a very popular sports player in michigan that is a spokeperson for celiacs--i cant remember who it is though <_< hmmmmmmmmm anyways, i know there is because my sister has mentioned it before--i think there are some very important spokes people for celiacs right here in this forum--i have learned so much :D i would like to see some major coverage on this disease on tv though--it would be very helpful for so many people--deb :D
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#4 dustina

dustina

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:56 PM

Yes, Nukapai, I suppose you could say there's a profile. I believe it's more frequent in those of northern European descent. Thus the fair skin fair hair. That's what my doc said anyway. My first visit she immediately mentioned Celiac b/c of my fair complexion and red hair, and then she asked about my lineage of which I haven't a clue.

#5 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:22 AM

Reminds me of the joke: "I resemble that remark!"

Don't overlook the swarthy Mediterranean types (my celiac husband). Black/brown hair, brown eyes, sallow-olive complexion.

Perhaps one of the celiac groups can with permission of the celiac celebrity, put out a pamphlet with their photos and talk about their experiences with celiac?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: