This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Holiday Time Of Year Again

debmidge

lovegrov Collaborator

In this school case I would indeed be concerned because, as you say, there's no way to know what they're doing to it. The turkey will almost certainly start out gluten-free, but then what?

One thing I forgot in my last post. I've asked people on three differtent forums now to please tell me when they find raw frozen or fresh turkey (unstuffed) that DOES have gluten, confirmed by the manufacturer or listed that way on the label.

No reply in two years.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Donna F Enthusiast

Richard,

Thanks for a great explanation on the chicken and fresh turkey. Like I said, I'm new to the whole turkey thing as a Celiac, and I've never even cooked a turkey myself anyway, so I'd have no clue about the fresh vs frozen issue.

Unfortunately, being new to this diet, I've had to rely on what I've 'heard'. I wasn't saying I didn't believe you about the USDA thing. In fact, I'm very greatful that you explained that to us b/c now I won't have to worry about the chicken issue! I guess I didn't comprehend or maybe I misread what you were saying about the USDA and meat labels. Sorry if I caused any confusion. I'm not a very good reader, and sometimes I jump the gun in my responses - my brain works faster than my fingers. Heh, and sometimes the fingers are the only thing working :huh:

As for the CSA guide, when I first went on the diet, that was ALL I went by. Thanks to this board I've learned that there is so much more out there than that. Now that I feel more confident about recognizing ingredients, I am finding more and more brands I can use. Yes, I was really upset about the guide ONLY having a few Kosher turkey breasts, and no whole turkeys at all. I won't be buying the next edition of that guide.

Anyway, I'm really sorry I jumped the gun in my responses, or if I sounded argumentive in my replies. You've been a great aid in helping me understand the whole turkey lurking process :D .

Gf4life,

I wouldn't touch that meal at the school either - especially if avoiding it isn't going to upset your son anyway. It would be awefully upsetting if he wound up sick for the holiday.

Now, y'all have a very, happy Thanksgiving! :P

-donna

taneil Apprentice

I just bought my first turkey today and bought a Jenny-O. the problem I had was that when I first looked at the ingredients I saw that it said wheat flour. So I was mad because that was the only one that was free with a $50 purchase and I couldn't buy it. Then after a few minutes I realized I was reading the ingredients to the gravy packet not the turkey. So make sure you don't get the two confused like me. I felt stupid after I figured out what I had done.

lovegrov Collaborator

You'll also see wheat flour on the Butterball label because of the gravy packet. It's very easy to miss the fact that you've started reading the gravy ingredients. I've heard of many people doing this.

Donna, I also used the CSA guide when I first started and it was indeed at least somewhat helpful. I just wish they would catch up with the times and purge old information. Unfortunately, their current president is one of the ones who continued sniping at the labeling law right up until the time it was passed. My support now goes to GIG.

Have a good Thanksgiving.

richard

dbuhl79 Contributor

Richard,

On a side note, being new to all of this, what is the CSA and GIG?

As for the turkey biz, all I know is the best turkey I've had was from a farmer friend who had free range turkeys, chickens and eggs. Unfortunately, not everyone can take advantage of a local farmer like that. In fact since I've moved I've never run into another subsitute! Alas!

Just wanted to wish everyone great luck with their Thanksgiving dinner adventures. As I have no implication on the menu items served at mine, I am sure it will be my lighest Thanksgiving yet! :) (And they don't even do Turkey!!)

Hope you all enjoy yours!!!

lovegrov Collaborator

CSA is the Celiac Sprue Association. It's the largest celiac organization in the U.S. They do have some good information and there are many local groups affiliated with them, but they also have some very bad information. It's hard to know what's what, especially when you're just starting out.

GIG is the Gluten Intolerance Group. I like their approach better. And director Cynthia Kupper is the one who put together the Outback gluten-free menu.

richard

dmchr4 Apprentice

So did we decide that all gluten-containing ingredients would be listed on the ham packages too? I got a little confused after that long discussion!

I know Jennie-O turkey ham (that we usually eat) has modified food starch (or some other gluten containing ingredient in it) so that's a no-go.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

Richard,

I have a related question concerning CSA. You mentioned that the CSA was fighting the new federal labeling regs. What exactly was their reasoning as to why the labels shouldn't have been changed? Thanks for keeping me up to date.

Deb

darlindeb25 Collaborator

well all-- :rolleyes: i am so confused about turkeys now and ham that i think i will have a baked potato with broccoli and cheese--i never much liked turkey anyways :D too gassy--hehe---hope everyone has a great thanksgiving--i have to work during the traditional meal tomorrow--hope they save me that potato :D deb

dbuhl79 Contributor

Richard, Thanks I'll have to look into those groups!

As for turkey, ham and what not.. Luckily, I don't even think my in-laws make that. Somehow I get collard greens and chitlings, things I don't eat either. Ha ha! :) I guess its potatos, and veggies for me! :D

Good luck to everyone with their turkey & ham adventures. Let us know how your Thanksgiving turned out and tips for next year!!

Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving guys. And thank all of you for your supportive and wonderful advice and tips on this forum! It certainly will improve my holiday!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Deb, before the law passed, the CSA had a statement on their webpage that said they didn't support the bill because it was focused on labeling allergens, and requiring a gluten-free definition (one that manufacturers can test to) fairly late. The main problem here is that the bill doesn't require the labeling of *gluten* but the labeling of the eight common *allergens*. That means that "hidden" rye, barley, and oats _could_ still be on a label that follows the labeling guidelines, and the CSA wouldn't support a bill that allowed for that.

Thing is, the vast majority of our problem with labeling is wheat, and wheat is one of the eight major allergens. So it's not a 100% solution (labeling wise), but it's probably pretty close to 95%. They wanted something comprehensive, which is something that not only couldn't they get at the time (food manufacturers fought this one fairly hard), but is unlikely to ever happen.

(The fact of the matter is that no matter how much untreated celiac disease can cause us intense pain and discomfort for days, keep us out of work, ruin our lives, and threaten our health, a single incident of ingesting gluten is - for a true intolerance, not allergy - nearly never fatal. It just doesn't have the capacity. Hence it is unlikely to be considered important enough to require that gluten is labeled in all it's formed on all packaging. At the very least, though, the definition of the gluten-free label should help that, since there is a marketing advantage for the food production companies who choose to target that audience.)

lovegrov Collaborator

Tiffany explained CSA and the labeling law well. Right as Congress was passing it the guy who is now the CSA president was on the St. John's list trying to shoot it down. He also made some pretty bizarre statements at the NIH consensus conference (although I don't remember exactly what they were).

richard

lovegrov Collaborator

I wouldn't eat turkey if I didn't like it, either, but there's really no reason to be confused about it. Bascially, as long as it isn't stuffed and it doesn't have gravy made with flour, it's going to be gluten-free. And you can tell that simply by reading the ingredients.

richard

mommida Enthusiast

I bought a Honeysuckle white. It has GLUTEN FREE in big bold letters right on the front. A company that has addressed customer concerns with a clear statement deserves my business. Tastes great too!

In the past I have personally injected turkey with gluten. I did not know it at the time. They sell syringes in stores for this purpose. When eating a prepared turkey you need to check with the chef.

The list that I started with to identify gluten, had a section of questionable ingredients. Malto dextrin, annatto, and other ingredients that bring up such debate about their safety. Annatto does make me sick to my stomache and I was glad to have found it on a list in that section. It made it easier for me to identify it as the trigger. I could have made myself crazy trying to identify some "hidden gluten" in my diet.

Have a Happy and healthy holiday!

Laura

lovegrov Collaborator

Annatto apparently does cause problems for some people, but it definitely does NOT contain gluten.

richard

Archived