30 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:35 AM

My sister and I will be seeing my brother in Scottsdale in a couple of weeks. We have not been together since 1981. I will just have a few days there and I am hoping to meet up with a good friend/mouse while there.

I noticed that they have a good selection of restaurants with gluten free menus, such as P.F's and The Capitol Grill.

Are there any great sites to see or things to do within a hour or so from Scottsdale. Unfortunately, the Grand Canyon is too far for this trip.

I am looking forward to the trip. I have not been to that part of the country in many many moons.

Thanks
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

My sister is a Michigan snowbird with a place in Scottsdale, so our family has been there a few times.

Things we have done:

Drive to Sedona - about 2 hours north, but it is beautiful!! You can drive through Oak Creek Canyon, visit Slide Rock Park and picnic there (there's a fee to enter). I think this is nearly as scenic as the Grand Canyon. Sedona has lots of shopping and restaurants, but we have not eaten there gluten-free. I love checking out the handmade Indian jewelry they sell at some roadside places.

Drive to the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson - about 2 hours south. This is more like a zoo than a museum - it's mostly outside walking around.

When there we have gone to sporting events - depending on the time of year. We have been to baseball and hockey games.

There is a place called Rawhide. It used to be in north Scottsdale, but they moved it to make way for urban sprawl. It's kind of a kid place, but I enjoyed it too. It is an Old West theme park. It is (or at least was) free to get in. There are some attractions you pay for. What I liked there was a Gunsmoke-type saloon/restaurant with a really good house band. The food was good, but you might want to check what is gluten free - it was 2 years ago since I was last there.

Finally, if you want to spend some $$$ they have some fantastic spas there. If you book any service, you can go in the morning and stay all day!

And I found this out after the fact, but there is a gluten-free pizza place in Scottsdale. Forgot the name but you could probably find it on the board somewhere.

Have fun!
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#3 Worriedwife

Worriedwife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:39 AM

The Sonoran desert Museum in Tuscon is a GREAT place. We went there in the spring, and plan to go again. But it's a lot of outdoor walking, and it still pretty warm there. If you go, make sure you wear comfortable shoes and take lots of drinking water. Have a great time!

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

If you like Frank Lloyd Wright, Taliesan West is in Phoenix. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ditto on the spas. The most hoity-toity has to be The Sanctuary ... www.sanctuaryoncamelback.com I'm sure it's not cheap, but I did have a wonderful gluten-free meal there. Their chef is a pro!! We were at a business function, so I have no idea what the meals cost ... I do know I just mentioned it to the waiter one time and never had to say another word, every course was altered for me. :) BTW, Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vahn stayed there ... so did Brittany Spears while she was pregnant.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#5 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

Picazzo's Pizzeria. there is a Picazzos in Scottsdale and Tempe.

www.picazzos.com

No trip to AZ is comlete without a stop here. Gluten Free yumminess!

My gluten-free and I love going to Sedona - one of the most beautiful places in the country.

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:54 PM

Picazzo's Pizzeria. there is a Picazzos in Scottsdale and Tempe.

www.picazzos.com

No trip to AZ is comlete without a stop here. Gluten Free yumminess!

My gluten-free and I love going to Sedona - one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Yup, Picazzo's is on the list.
Lisa

#7 azmom

azmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

Remember that it's pretty hot here this time of year. If you are planning to do anything outside, make it as early as possible in the day. (It was 110 in Phx the other day. ) Sedona is worth the drive and will be cooler. I highly recommend Slide Rock Park, but make sure you do it during the week as there are generally lines to get in on the weekends.

If you are a bargain shopper, check out Last Chance (I think it's on Camelback). It's the closeout store for Nordstrom's..it's sort of an interesting experience...

And by all means, make sure you hit Picazzo's at least once..if not several times. Their pizza is awesome as is their flat bread w/ hummus.

Have fun and drink lots of water!!

#8 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:30 AM

Can't wait to see you at lunch in Scottsdale. The gluten free pizza menu is awesome.

You will love Sedona. We went up there after I was diagnosed. Stayed two nights and ate some awesome gluten free foods. One was in a small strip mall on the right side as you head for the downtown area. I don't remember the name, but they fed me my first gourmet meal and it was so good and safe. The other was in the downtown area and is a very popular restuarant. Expensive but safe. I did not know about Picazzo's at that time.

Sorry this is not just a sightseeing trip for you and hope your brother gets some good news after his Mayo visit. Wait until you see the Mayo as it is like being on a College campus.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:52 AM

I am so excited. I am going to meet Mouse and Bronkobux for wonderful gluten free pizza.

Thank you for all the great recommendations. I can't wait. (except for the 110degree temp).
Lisa

#10 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:39 AM

I am so excited. I am going to meet Mouse and Bronkobux for wonderful gluten free pizza.

OH! OH!! <waving hand wildly in air> :D

I'd LOVE to get in on this meetup!! :)
I'm still in Phx for a few weeks.
Momma Goose, I PM'd you . . .. .hope you see it in time. For all I know the meetup is in 4 hrs! :o
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#11 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

I hope yall have fun!!!!!!

#12 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:44 PM

Sure hope you can make the lunch on Sunday, Tom. This will be great to see so many from the forum. And the pizza is awesome.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:21 PM

That sounds like so much fun! Hope you all have a great time :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:58 PM

Looking forward to seeing you guys!

My flight comes in at 10 a.m. My gluten-free will be picking me up and transporting us to Picazzos for some yummy gluten free piza (I like the southwest cheeseburger pizza or the B.L.T. pizza) and then we are off to root on her Seahawks as they play the Cardinals (one of my friends plays for the Cardinals, so I have to root for him very quietly - LOL).

Can't wait!

Sunday at 11:00 a.m.

BB

#15 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:00 PM

p.s. Are we meeting at the one on Frank LLoyd Wright or the one on Scottdale Rd (There are 2 in Scottsdale)

Thanks

BB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: