12 replies to this topic

#1 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:39 AM

Can you handle coffee? Once I start, it kicks start my repeated runs to the bathroom too. Maybe I'm crazy, but is it just the caffiene or is there hidden gluten in here too?!
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:17 PM

What kind of coffee are you drinking? According to my list, the following coffee's are gluten-free:

Folgers
Maxwell House
Sanka
Taster's choice

It could be the warmth of the coffee that makes you go or it could be the creamer (dairy). Just a thought.

#3 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:03 PM

Tim Hortons is gluten free.

#4 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:11 PM

What coffees are NOT gluten-free? :blink: I had thought that we only had to stay away from flavored coffees (which I'm doing.) Have I been accidentally zapping myself every morning? :o

#5 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:15 PM

I personally have not been able to handle coffee, even the gluten-free ones with 100% dairy free creamer. I don't know what it is in coffee that doesn't agree with me. I am able to take headache pills with added caffeine, so I doubt that the caffeine is the problem...
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:07 PM

If you can't handle coffee it's something other than gluten. In three years, the only coffee I've EVER found not gluten-free are a couple of ones at Starbucks where they actually add brownies or something as they mix it. Plain unflavored coffee is absolutely unquestionably gluten-free.

richard

#7 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:22 AM

;) i agree with richard--i had diarrhea for years and years and now that i am gluten-free, i am still very much a coffee drinker--as i have posted before--the one coffee that made me sick was a hazelnut coffee that i got at a gas station/convience store--i use half & half creamer at work cause our coffee is so bitter, but i have read the ingreds on the box and there is nothing in them that can hurt us--so i agree--your problem with coffee may be something other then celiacs---please dont take my coffee away :P deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#8 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:07 AM

Actually, I know alot of people that will drink coffee to "kick start" there bowels. In fact a joke is that its a natural laxative. So there has been times prior to recently that it would give me the urge to go.

However, I don't really know what brand it is I drink here at the office. In fact its something cheap and generic because that's all they'll buy. Out of desperation for a pick me up I was drinking it and it'll cause me to run to the restroom.

At home, we always have Folgers, and I never suffer from that.

Strange.. but thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll stick to water! :blink:

#9 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:39 AM

Does anyone know if Gevalia flavored coffees are gluten-free?? They are the only ones I drink, and only once a week or so.

#10 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:54 AM

Hello all,

i can't drink coffee either. But with me my old belly pain and the pain (at the same time) in the left of my foreheadbone starts again. Like i had it in the last days of my glutenlife. It can't be the warmth of the liquid either, because i add cold milk. In fact there is mostly milk in it, because i don't like the pure coffee taste. It's like 1/4 coffee and 3/4 milk or sometimes even less coffee.

It can't be the milk either, because I drink it together with the Nestle cocoa powder (which also is on the glutenfree list) and i don't have problems with that. Next i check the sugar and i didn't have problems with the sugar either. So i think it's the coffee. We always drink the Folgers coffee, which is supposed to be glutenfree. Last time my pain was so bad, i had to stay in bed all day. I don't know what it is in the coffee that bothers me, but i won't drink any coffee anymore. Whatever it is, it must be in pepsi, too. Cause i just drank a glass as i'm writing this here and i have my old foreheadbonepain again. Is coffein also in pepsi?

Lots of greetings, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#11 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:59 AM

Gluten is added to some coffee. It is used to counter act some of the bitterness of the beans. Some people use a piece of bread to clean the grinders, takes the oil residue off the blades. I would avoid the coffees that say "special blended for a smooth rich flavor"
Laura
Michigan

#12 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:07 AM

I can only drink a small amount of coffee - I am down to 1 1/2 cups of half-caf in the morning only. Otherwise, I get a "sour" stomach, bathroom problems, etc. I always assumed it was the acid. It got worse after GERD. I also must eat with my coffee or it is just as bad as if I had drank a full pot, which I used to do a LOT.

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#13 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:07 AM

Stef,
Too much caffeine (which is in sodas unless otherwise noted such a Pepsi) can cause headaches. Hav eyou tried elminating all caffeine from your diet? That might be the source! Worth a shot!
Dana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: