Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Coffee

13 posts in this topic

Can you handle coffee? Once I start, it kicks start my repeated runs to the bathroom too. Maybe I'm crazy, but is it just the caffiene or is there hidden gluten in here too?!

Ads by Google:

What kind of coffee are you drinking? According to my list, the following coffee's are gluten-free:

Folgers

Maxwell House

Sanka

Taster's choice

It could be the warmth of the coffee that makes you go or it could be the creamer (dairy). Just a thought.

What coffees are NOT gluten-free? :blink: I had thought that we only had to stay away from flavored coffees (which I'm doing.) Have I been accidentally zapping myself every morning? :o

I personally have not been able to handle coffee, even the gluten-free ones with 100% dairy free creamer. I don't know what it is in coffee that doesn't agree with me. I am able to take headache pills with added caffeine, so I doubt that the caffeine is the problem...

If you can't handle coffee it's something other than gluten. In three years, the only coffee I've EVER found not gluten-free are a couple of ones at Starbucks where they actually add brownies or something as they mix it. Plain unflavored coffee is absolutely unquestionably gluten-free.

richard

;) i agree with richard--i had diarrhea for years and years and now that i am gluten-free, i am still very much a coffee drinker--as i have posted before--the one coffee that made me sick was a hazelnut coffee that i got at a gas station/convience store--i use half & half creamer at work cause our coffee is so bitter, but i have read the ingreds on the box and there is nothing in them that can hurt us--so i agree--your problem with coffee may be something other then celiacs---please dont take my coffee away :P deb

Actually, I know alot of people that will drink coffee to "kick start" there bowels. In fact a joke is that its a natural laxative. So there has been times prior to recently that it would give me the urge to go.

However, I don't really know what brand it is I drink here at the office. In fact its something cheap and generic because that's all they'll buy. Out of desperation for a pick me up I was drinking it and it'll cause me to run to the restroom.

At home, we always have Folgers, and I never suffer from that.

Strange.. but thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll stick to water! :blink:

Does anyone know if Gevalia flavored coffees are gluten-free?? They are the only ones I drink, and only once a week or so.

Hello all,

i can't drink coffee either. But with me my old belly pain and the pain (at the same time) in the left of my foreheadbone starts again. Like i had it in the last days of my glutenlife. It can't be the warmth of the liquid either, because i add cold milk. In fact there is mostly milk in it, because i don't like the pure coffee taste. It's like 1/4 coffee and 3/4 milk or sometimes even less coffee.

It can't be the milk either, because I drink it together with the Nestle cocoa powder (which also is on the glutenfree list) and i don't have problems with that. Next i check the sugar and i didn't have problems with the sugar either. So i think it's the coffee. We always drink the Folgers coffee, which is supposed to be glutenfree. Last time my pain was so bad, i had to stay in bed all day. I don't know what it is in the coffee that bothers me, but i won't drink any coffee anymore. Whatever it is, it must be in pepsi, too. Cause i just drank a glass as i'm writing this here and i have my old foreheadbonepain again. Is coffein also in pepsi?

Lots of greetings, Stef

Gluten is added to some coffee. It is used to counter act some of the bitterness of the beans. Some people use a piece of bread to clean the grinders, takes the oil residue off the blades. I would avoid the coffees that say "special blended for a smooth rich flavor"

Laura

I can only drink a small amount of coffee - I am down to 1 1/2 cups of half-caf in the morning only. Otherwise, I get a "sour" stomach, bathroom problems, etc. I always assumed it was the acid. It got worse after GERD. I also must eat with my coffee or it is just as bad as if I had drank a full pot, which I used to do a LOT.

-Kate

Stef,

Too much caffeine (which is in sodas unless otherwise noted such a Pepsi) can cause headaches. Hav eyou tried elminating all caffeine from your diet? That might be the source! Worth a shot!

Dana