This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pu Pu Pu Punkin Bread

sickchick

sickchick Community Regular

Punkin Bread :ph34r:

2 loaves please!

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cup bean flour

1-1/2 cup rice flour

1-1/2 ts salt

1 ts ground cinnamon

1 ts nutmeg

1/2 ts ground ginga

2 ts baking soda

3 ts xanthan gum

2 cups pureed cooked or canned pumpkin

1 cup honey

2 tb vanilla extract

1 tb grated orange peel

1 cup corn oil (or other vegetable oil)

1/2 cup water

4 eggs

Directions:

Nonstick spray 2 loaf pans.

Stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices.

Stir together pumpkin, corn oil and water, add eggs one at a time.

Make a well in center of flour mixture, add pumpkin mixture and stir.

Pour into prepared pans and bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees.

Enjoy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

imsohungry Collaborator

Hey sweetie :)

O.k....call me a slacker, but I've never made anything with pum'kin before (well, besides the obvious jack-o-lantern for Halloween)

Anyway, enough history...now for my question: Where do I find pumpkins? (besides some random field). :rolleyes: I saw you wrote canned pumpkin? Is it near stuff like canned yams/sweet potatos?

I REALLY want to try this bread. I love zucchini bread, banana bread, carrot muffins...so why not pumpkin bread?

Hey, if you like zucchini (sp?) bread, I've got an EXCELLENT recipe. Not sure if I've posted it before or not, but I'll be glad to share if you're interested.

Enough said. Hope all is well; Blessings. B) -Julie

ElenaDragon Explorer

I used canned pumpkin all the time in cooking. I find it in the baking section of my grocery store, near the pie fillings. There is also canned pumpkin pie filling, which is different than just plain canned pumpkin. Get the regular canned pumpkin unless you're making something that called for the pie filling.

I use Libby's inthe baking isle @ grocery store LoveLove B) I think they make plain puree and already-sweetened and spiced all ready 4 pie

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Ridgewalker Contributor

Thank you for posting the Punkin Bread recipe!!! :D

And imsohungry, I would love to have the Zucchini Bread Recipe!

Thanks!

-Sarah

imsohungry Collaborator

Thank you for the can-finding tips ladies! I never cooked much before my diagnosis. It's funny, when diagnosed with celiac, how quickly things change.

Short story: Two years BC (before celiac), I was asked to bring a vegetable to thanksgiving dinner. I asked mom if green beans were o.k....she said yes...and I showed up with them. I literally came to thanksgiving supper with a can of green beans. My mom looked at me, and then the beans, and then back at me. "Julie, you spent way to much time in college. Honey, did you consider opening the can before you brought it? Putting the beans in a bowl? Possibly heating it up? or adding salt and pepper or seasonings?"

Actually, I hadn't thought of any of that. "Well mom, I just figured that when I got to your house, I would open the beans, dump 'um in a bowl, and "nuke" 'um on high for a couple of minutes." :rolleyes: That, everyone, is my definition of "cooking" before celiac. (I think it is obvious now why I can't find the pumpkins).

Elena,

You said you used pumpkin often. Can I ask what dishes you put them in? Obviously, pumpkin pie, but I would love to know other uses! Thank you B)

Sarah,

Sure, I'll be glad to post that recipe! It's in one of my cookbooks by Carol Fenster.

Take care all! Happy baking! -Julie

ElenaDragon Explorer

Julie,

I love pumpkin, so I make a lot of stuff with it - pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin smoothies, and recently I tried some pumpkin fluff thingies made with pudding mix and cool whip (which were wonderful until I realized the casein in the cool whip probably wasn't the best for me). Back when I ate ice cream, I would use the canned pumpkin pie mix as an ice cream topper... yum! I'm always on the lookout for new ways to use pumpkin. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Thank you for the can-finding tips ladies! I never cooked much before my diagnosis. It's funny, when diagnosed with celiac, how quickly things change.

Short story: Two years BC (before celiac), I was asked to bring a vegetable to thanksgiving dinner. I asked mom if green beans were o.k....she said yes...and I showed up with them. I literally came to thanksgiving supper with a can of green beans. My mom looked at me, and then the beans, and then back at me. "Julie, you spent way to much time in college. Honey, did you consider opening the can before you brought it? Putting the beans in a bowl? Possibly heating it up? or adding salt and pepper or seasonings?"

Actually, I hadn't thought of any of that. "Well mom, I just figured that when I got to your house, I would open the beans, dump 'um in a bowl, and "nuke" 'um on high for a couple of minutes." :rolleyes: That, everyone, is my definition of "cooking" before celiac. (I think it is obvious now why I can't find the pumpkins).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the giggle.

Ridgewalker Contributor

There used to be a little homemade ice cream place near me that carried Pumpkin Custard Ice Cream. I used to go there and have them make a milkshake out of it for me, and it was the best thing ever! I haven't thought about that in years..... I think I'll have to break out that ice cream machine that I've never used, and start experimenting!

-Sarah

ElenaDragon Explorer
There used to be a little homemade ice cream place near me that carried Pumpkin Custard Ice Cream. I used to go there and have them make a milkshake out of it for me, and it was the best thing ever! I haven't thought about that in years..... I think I'll have to break out that ice cream machine that I've never used, and start experimenting!

-Sarah

If you have a Jamba Juice near you, around October/November/December, they have a pumpkin smoothie. It tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass. :) Unfortunately, I think it is made with dairy, so it's out for me this year. But it's so easy to make yourself! The easy way would be to mix up pumpkin pie mix, ice, and your milk of choice in a blender. I tend to use straight pumpkin and add my own pumpkin pie spices and stevia for sweetener.

mamaw Community Regular

When using fresh pumpkin to make pies or bread you can find them at farmer's markets or in the fruit & veggie aisle. They are called cooking or baking pumpkins & usually are small. you just wash them off & put them in water & bring to a boil until you can pierce the shell with a fork. Cool , cut 7 scoop out the soft middle. It will make the best pie or bread you ever tasted...Very easy & the taste is soooo much better than canned.....We sometimes just make the filling as for pie & put it in a greased dish & bake. Just like pie without the crust......

mamaw

burdee Enthusiast

Since I have diagnosed allergies (intolerances?) to dairy, soy, eggs, cane sugar, nutmeg and vanilla, I can't eat most commercially made ice creams. My favorite vegan ice cream recipe is pumpkin. It's easy to prepare with an ice cream maker. I'll post it here if anyone is interested ...

BURDEE

My vote is yes, burdee :P

Juliet Newbie

Well, I've played around with pumpkin a lot, too, and came up with this ice cream. It's got a very rich, caramel-ly taste to it that blends nicely with the pumpkin. It's not vegan, but it is quick to put together (it tastes like it's a custard base ice cream, but not) and gluten free, for those who might like it:

Pumpkin Praline Ice Cream

(1) 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

1 1/2 cup half and half

1 1/2 cup whole milk

(1) 3.4 oz. package instant vanilla pudding (most are gluten free)

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

(1) 15 oz. can pureed pumpkin or 2 cups fresh pureed pumpkin(canned pumpkin normally has a stronger flavor than fresh, and I like Libby's)

1 cup chopped pecan pralines (pre-made pralines are often gluten free)

In a large mixing bowl that can easily hold 8 cups, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, half and half, and whole milk, then add the instant pudding powder and whisk until well blended. Add the vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and pureed pumpkin and whisk again until smooth. Pour ice cream base* into an ice cream maker and follow your manufacturer

Ridgewalker Contributor

Thank you, Juliet!

Burdee, I still wouldn't mind having the vegan recipe for pumpkin ice cream, as well.

I loooove pumpkin goodies!!!

-Sarah

burdee Enthusiast
Thank you, Juliet!

Burdee, I still wouldn't mind having the vegan recipe for pumpkin ice cream, as well.

I loooove pumpkin goodies!!!

-Sarah

Me, too! LOL At long last, here's my pumpkin 'vice' cream (vegan ice cream) recipe, adapted from the Pumpkin recipe from 'Vice Cream' by Jeff Rogers:

PUMPKIN VICE CREAM

(Makes one quart)

Combine in blender and blend on high until silky and smooth for at least one minute:

1 cup organic cashews (whole or pieces)

1-1/2 cups purified (filtered) water

1 cup maple syrup (preferably Grade A)

2 tablespoons alcohol-free vanilla flavor

1/4 teaspoon alcohol-free almond flavor

3 tablespoons grated fresh organic ginger

1-1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

With motor running, add and blend until creamy:

1 cup cooked organic pumpkin or canned organic pumpkin puree

Place blender in freezer for 40 minutes to 1 hour or in refrigerator for at least 1 hour up to overnight, until well chilled. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructioins. Serve immediately or transfer to airtight containers. Store in freezer until ready to serve.

You can alter (add or subtract) the spices and flavors according to your individual taste. I'm allergic to vanilla and nutmeg and my hubby is allergic to almonds. So we omit those and increase the cinnamon. You can also decrease the grated ginger if you prefer less spice. We love this flavor of vice cream, but have also tried many of the vice cream recipes in Jeff Rogers' book. If you are vegan or can't eat gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, cane sugar, you just need an ice cream maker and a few ingredients to make your own delicious frozen desserts!

BURDEE

Mango04 Enthusiast

Since we're sharing pumpkin recipes, here's one I've been wanting to try. I definitely will as soon as I can get a hold of a pumpkin :D

PUMPKIN SOUP IN ITS OWN SHELL

1 five lb. pumpkin (if smaller or larger, adjust the amount of liquid)

Cut a lid off the top, scoop out the seeds and stringy parts, and rub the inside flesh with salt. Set the pumpkin on a large roasting pan.

1 quart chicken or vegetable stock

1 quart milk or soy milk

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Hey sweetie :)

O.k....call me a slacker, but I've never made anything with pum'kin before (well, besides the obvious jack-o-lantern for Halloween)

Anyway, enough history...now for my question: Where do I find pumpkins? (besides some random field). :rolleyes: I saw you wrote canned pumpkin? Is it near stuff like canned yams/sweet potatos?

I REALLY want to try this bread. I love zucchini bread, banana bread, carrot muffins...so why not pumpkin bread?

Hey, if you like zucchini (sp?) bread, I've got an EXCELLENT recipe. Not sure if I've posted it before or not, but I'll be glad to share if you're interested.

Enough said. Hope all is well; Blessings. B) -Julie

LOL!! Y'know I was gonna ask for that zuchini bread recipe, but I think I changed my mind ;)

Juliet Newbie

I will have to try that vegan ice cream recipe soon - it sounds delicious!

And I was planning on trying pumpkin soup soon, too, once the weather out her in SoCal drops down below 85 degrees (it was a hot one this weekend - had to stick with the cold recipes!)

THANK YOU !!! :):):)

imsohungry Collaborator

Everyone's recipes sound delicious! B)

Collette,

Can I substitute sugar in your recipe...in place of the honey?

If I can, does anyone know the substitute ratio?

I have high expectations for myself this week. I'm going to try to make yeast rolls, zucchini bread, pumpkin bread, and cheesecake.

Wish me luck with these stupid yeast rolls...I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm going to try to convert my mom's gluten yeast roll recipe to gluten-free. I may end up with yeast hockey-pucks. :rolleyes:

-Julie

Ridgewalker Contributor

Thank you, thank you!

My best friend has made this Pumpkin Cheesecake. Supposedly, it's the recipe that the Cheesecake Factory uses. I've had their Pumpkin Cheesecake once, and this recipe seems right on. The only ingredient that needs to be altered to make it gluten-free is the graham cracker crust. You could use gluten-free graham crackers. For the gluten-free cheesecakes I've made so far, I've used crushed Envirokids animal crackers. That worked well, just be careful not to add too much butter to the crust mixture, as it can get pasty. So here's my contribution:

The Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin Cheesecake

1 1/2 c. crushed graham crackers (gluten-free!)

5 Tbsp. butter, melted

1 c. plus 1 Tbsp. sugar

3 (8 oz. each) packages cream cheese

1 tsp. vanilla

1 c. pumpkin puree

3 eggs

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. allspice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Make the crust by combining the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter and 1 Tbsp sugar in a medium bowl.

3. Stir well enough to coat all of the crumbs with the butter, but not so much as to turn the mixture into paste. Keep it crumbly.

4. Put foil partway up the outside part of an 8-inch springform pan.

5. Press the crumbs onto the bottom and about two-thirds of the way up the sides of the springform pan.

6. You don't want the crust to form all of the way up the back of each slice of cheesecake.

7. Bake the crust for 5 minutes, then set aside until you are ready to fill it.

8. In a large mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, 1 C sugar, and vanilla.

9. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.

10. Add the pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice and continue beating until smooth and creamy.

11. Pour the filling into the pan.

12. Bake for 60-70 minutes

13. The top will turn a bit darker at this point.

14. Remove from the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool.

15. When the cheesecake has come to room temperature, put it into the refrigerator.

16. When the cheesecake has chilled, remove the pan sides and cut the cake into 8 equal pieces.

17. Serve with a generous portion of whipped cream on top.

She highly recommends letting it chill in the fridge for 24 hours before serving. It's awesome.

-Sarah

burdee Enthusiast

Pardon me for interrupting this pumpkin thread, but I didn't have any pumpkin in the house when I wanted to make Collette's recipe today. :lol: So I used what I had (canned pureed sweet potato), made other substitutions to accomodate our multiple allergy family and added some of my own creative ideas. The bread turned out delicious even with all those substitutions. Here's my recipe:

Apple Sweet Potato Bread

(2 loaves or 3 mini loaves)

Stir together:

1 cup bean flour

Ridgewalker Contributor

Ooh, apples and sweet potatoes sounds like a great combo.

I'm still somewhat new to baking with "alternative" ingredients though, so I have to ask... what is agave???

-Sarah

burdee Enthusiast
Ooh, apples and sweet potatoes sounds like a great combo.

I'm still somewhat new to baking with "alternative" ingredients though, so I have to ask... what is agave???

-Sarah

Also called 'agave nectar' this alternative (but NOT artificial) sweetner comes from agave plants (similar to cactus) in Mexico. Agave is sweeter than sugar, less viscous (sticky) than honey, but best of all low glycemic. I use agave instead of honey for cooking, because agave pours more easily and has a 'neutral' sweet flavor. See Open Original Shared Link for more info about a specific brand of agave.

BURDEE

Archived