This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can A Vitamin D Deficiency Cause Fertility Problems?

powderprincess

powderprincess Rookie

Just wondering if a Vit. D level can cause a miscarriage. I know vit D has to do with calcium absorption but that's about all.

J

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Just wondering if a Vit. D level can cause a miscarriage. I know vit D has to do with calcium absorption but that's about all it.

J

I think that it would highly unusual for someone living in the US (other than Alaska) to have concerns for low Vit D. General mineral and vitamin levels that are low can effect the body in many ways.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid...37107302479.d4x . This may help you with your question.

mouse Enthusiast

I am sorry Lisa, but I have to disagree about the Vitamin D. As you know I live in Arizona and my D levels a year and a half ago, just barely hit the chart. Even with taking mega doses several times a week for a couple of months, I barely got in the normal range. I now have to take 1000 units a day and I am still barely in the range I am suppose to be at. But, I also don't know if the lack of D would cause a miscarriage. At my age, I am more concerned about waking up in the morning - hee, hee.

Lisa Mentor
I am sorry Lisa, but I have to disagree about the Vitamin D. As you know I live in Arizona and my D levels a year and a half ago, just barely hit the chart. Even with taking mega doses several times a week for a couple of months, I barely got in the normal range. I now have to take 1000 units a day and I am still barely in the range I am suppose to be at. But, I also don't know if the lack of D would cause a miscarriage. At my age, I am more concerned about waking up in the morning - hee, hee.

Well, that's what my Dr. said and he knows everything. (yeah right!) :P You had a lot of things cooking back then. Glad it's in the past.

powderprincess Rookie

Well, I must be unusual. Had some blood work done and found out I have very low vit D. It has been just a a bit over a year since finding out I have celiac disease and going gluten-free. Probably still malabsorption. I have even been taking calcium that has built-in Vit D. Now I am taking additional supplements per doctor's orders.

The low vit D is the fact, it being a reason for losing a pregnancy is the speculation. Just looking in hindsight for something to blame even though it was probably chromosomal abnormalities and I know it is unfortunately too common an occurrence for whatever the reason. Nothing I can do will change what happened but I do want to make sure I can do everything possible to have it stick next time. If waiting until vit D levels are in a normal range will make a difference, I'd like to do that.

I think that it would highly unusual for someone living in the US (other than Alaska) to have concerns for low Vit D. General mineral and vitamin levels that are low can effect the body in many ways.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid...37107302479.d4x . This may help you with your question.

powderprincess Rookie

p.s. thanks for the link!

DeerGirl Apprentice

Hi folks - only posting here as I just did a search of the glutenfreeforum for Vitamin D references...

:D In case it is of any use whatsoever -- the entire reason I was sent for celiac testing was my very, very low Vit D levels -- and I live in the Northeast of the US. :huh:

I'm currently awaiting some kind of resolution on my diagnosis (not firm on Dx yet), but just putting my experience out there.

Have no idea of Vit D causes fertility problems per se, but I *do* know that Vitamin D is technically, not a vitamin, it is a steroid hormone precursor that helps your body manufacture and regulate several key hormones/cholesterol. It has many effects outside of skeletal system - including mucous membranes, nerve conduction, hormone levels (can cause cycle problems). And deficiency in it, can cause so many extra-skeletal problems.

That's it! Maybe it's useful (?)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

newceliac Enthusiast

Vitamin D deficiency is definitely possible and I believe celiac is the cause.

I live in the South where sun (and heat) is prevalent most of the year and I have a severe vitamin D deficiency. As a matter of fact, that should have been the first clue for the doctors. However, they just put me on 50,000 iu of Vitamin D 2x weekly for 6 weeks. Actually, I started feeling worse after taking the Vitamin D.

I go back to endo dr. next week to check my vitamin d levels but I but they are still low since the vitamin d was probably not digested.

I have not been back to endo dr. since I was diagnosed with celiac disease.

happygirl Collaborator

x

aikiducky Apprentice

It's quite possible that vit. D deficiency is rare - in healthy individuals. People with celiac are in a different situation though. Sometimes doctors seem to forget that.

Pauliina

Ridgewalker Contributor
It's quite possible that vit. D deficiency is rare - in healthy individuals. People with celiac are in a different situation though. Sometimes doctors seem to forget that.

Pauliina

Yeah, I think that's the key, right there. In the general population of a developed country, Vitamin D deficiency would be rare. Celiacs, of course, can have any kind of nutrient deficiency, though I would hope that would improve after diagnosis. My mother also tested with a Vitamin D deficiency around the time of her diagnosis, but all her levels (except potassium) have improved dramatically since then.

I don't know how Vitamin D would affect fertility, but Deergirl's comments sound logical.

-Sarah

DeerGirl Apprentice
Just wondering if a Vit. D level can cause a miscarriage. I know vit D has to do with calcium absorption but that's about all.

J

Just popping back, were your Vit D levels low?

Some sites, in case you're interested (I think we can post links on the boards...):

Solid, basic Vit D info: Open Original Shared Link

See for muscle spasms: Open Original Shared Link

Good Vit D info: Open Original Shared Link

Celiac, dietary info: Open Original Shared Link

Common symptom of Vit D deficiency: Open Original Shared Link

Didn't find anything per se about Vit D and fertility in humans but....

About fertility, but in rats: Open Original Shared Link

Pre-eclampsia: Open Original Shared Link

I think I did see some mention of PCOS and Vit D deficiency, so that may be worth looking into, if that fits your situation.

powderprincess Rookie

Hi Deergirl and all!

Thank you so much for the links and I hope everyone dealing with low D levels starts absorbing soon!

I will read all the info on the links soon. Also, just went to the Dr and asked about the D levels having to do with fertility problems. She said D only had to do with bones. I spent most of my life dealing with Dr.s who are not always right. The links will be a good source of info I can ask/enlighten her about.

Oh you asked how my d levels are. . .found out recently they are low, and like too many here, probably from malabsorption.

<3

• 4 weeks later...
farofa Rookie
Vitamin D deficiency is definitely possible and I believe celiac is the cause.

I live in the South where sun (and heat) is prevalent most of the year and I have a severe vitamin D deficiency. As a matter of fact, that should have been the first clue for the doctors. However, they just put me on 50,000 iu of Vitamin D 2x weekly for 6 weeks. Actually, I started feeling worse after taking the Vitamin D.

I go back to endo dr. next week to check my vitamin d levels but I but they are still low since the vitamin d was probably not digested.

I have not been back to endo dr. since I was diagnosed with celiac disease.

hi. thought i'd jump in here:

my vitamin d levels were also very low and are what clued doctors into the gluten problem.

i had a severe allergic reaction to d2 (drisdoll). please stop taking it and take d3 instead. doctors should not be prescribing the synthetic d2 as people are often allergic to it.

i continue taking 4000iu d3 daily with calcium and my levels seem to have stabilized though its clear to me that if i inadvertently get glutened, i still have trouble absorbing the d. i'd like to find an injectable d3 to circumnavigate the digestive process because i would like to test the theory of fertility and d.

vitamin d is, i've been told, by dr. thys jacobs responsible for infertility in animals and people. they use vitamin d when breeding horses! d may be responsible for two pre-clinical miscarriages i had last year. i'm hoping to stabilize now so as to be able to get pregnant.

vitamin d deficiency has also been responsible for terrible menstrual cramps, etc., and generally affects the flow and quality of my menstrual cycle so it would be logical that it affects fertility as well. much of thys-jacobs (based in nyc) research can be found online and is a worthwhile read.

• 3 months later...
DonnaD777-777 Newbie

J

I know low thyroid can cause infertility...check it out

Ursa Major Collaborator

Almost EVERYBODY in North America is vitamin D deficient. Unless you are able to be out in the sun with almost no clothes on for 20 minutes a day during the time the sun is high in the sky (which only works in he summer, and only for white people), you won't make enough vitamin D yourself. If you have dark skin you can NEVER make enough vitamin D unless you live close to the equator.

Arctic people only survive because of eating fish and the organs and fat of the seals/whales they kill.

Most prescription vitamin D is the inferior, synthetic vitamin D2, which is nearly useless to bring your levels up.

The absolute best way of getting vitamin D is cod liver oil. I take the Carlson brand, since it doesn't taste bad.

My vitamin D was very low two years ago, and I took two tablespoons a day of cod liver oil for a year. When tested it was almost too high, so now I take one tablespoon a day.

Not only will that give you the vitamin D you so desperately need, but also omega 3 fatty acid, without which your body can't function (we all get too much omega 6 and don't need to supplement with that) and vitamin A, which is needed to use the vitamin D (which is needed to use the calcium and magnesium we eat/take).

Personally, I don't believe anybody needs to take vitamin D prescription pills, the only people that benefit from that are the pharmaceutical companies. Cod liver oil is the natural way to bring your levels up. It is cheaper and better.

Oh, and yes, a severe vitamin D deficiency can cause miscarriages.

elisabet Contributor

J

Hei,

yes it can be the cause of miscarriage,but vit D is an oil soluble vitamin .be careful not overdoing.

The best is to measure your D vit and take cod liver oil accordingly.

calcium metabolism is my felt,I will be happy if I can help.

Elisabet

• 4 weeks later...
shayesmom Rookie
Almost EVERYBODY in North America is vitamin D deficient. Unless you are able to be out in the sun with almost no clothes on for 20 minutes a day during the time the sun is high in the sky (which only works in he summer, and only for white people), you won't make enough vitamin D yourself. If you have dark skin you can NEVER make enough vitamin D unless you live close to the equator.

Arctic people only survive because of eating fish and the organs and fat of the seals/whales they kill.

Most prescription vitamin D is the inferior, synthetic vitamin D2, which is nearly useless to bring your levels up.

AMEN to that!

There is so much misinformation on Vitamin D and the current state of illness in the U.S. reflects it. It doesn't matter if you're celiac or not. Many cases of cancer could be prevented simply by getting enough Vitamin D.

Archived