This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gourmet Land - Nyc

Ms. Celiac

Ms. Celiac Apprentice

I just found out about a gluten free Chinese food restaurant in NYC. It is called Gourmet Land! I've been there twice and the food is amazing and tastes like real Chinese food! So far, I have tried the Garlic Chicken, the Singapore Noodles, and the Chocolate torte. They have a fairly extensive gluten free menu and several gluten free desserts too. Also, you can notify them if you have any other allergies and they seem to be able to alter any of their dishes to fit your needs.

Gourmet Land is located on 2nd Avenue between 82nd and 83rd street.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bklyn Enthusiast

Hi,

I've eaten there too. It was very good, and as you said, a pretty extensive gluten free menu. I spoke to the owner and he said he's had many celiac customers. I hadn't had chinese food in such a long time. It was a real treat.

Kathy C.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

The mongolian beef and ginger spare ribs are amazing!! I've tried a lot of stuff there, but those are my favorites.

melrobsings Contributor

I just ate there and I"m SICK. Normally I just sleep it off but i can't even sleep I'm hurting so bad. Not to mention I went there spending a ton of $ ($160 for 3 people) and I'm calling tomorrow and asking for my money back and if they know how it feels to have their intestines being ripped.

I'm livid. There have been a lot of warnings about this place on meetup.com and I should have listened.

I had:

the egg rolls, chicken soup, mongolian beef, chug pow chicken, something that had chicken (don't remember), the ribs and fried rice. I can tell you it wasn't the egg rolls, soup, or ribs cause those came first and I felt fine for a while cause our food took forever.

That's all, just in pain, feel like poop, my skin is crawling and my cat is taking care of me.

melrobsings Contributor

I called the place. I have to say for as livid as I was last night i have calmed down! lol I just called and said I don't know if you guys know but I'm a celiac and I got SICK from the food last night, I wouldn't care so much but the fact that I dropped $163 for 3 people and you advertise gluten-free all over I thought you should know.

The girl wouldn't let me talk to a manager, wouldn't take my number and never said sorry.

She did say she doesn't know how that happened cause they really rip apart the kitchen and clean it every night. I said, cleaning doesn't always work with us due to CC, it only takes one tiny spot on the grill and we are done for. I told her I haven't been that sick in a LONG time, a few years actually. I honestly don't think she really listened...and she said this is the first complaint they got so IF YOU ATE THERE CALL THEM!!!!!

She also wanted to know what time we were there and who we were, I told her and she was there. When I get sick I never say anything cause A-I'm totally disoriented and B-will really jerk someone out cause I'm so mad, so I just keep my mouth shut and then call after...might I add, just cause you don't see our sickness, it's still there....and lingers for days.

Thoughts anyone!? and again CALL THEM IF YOU GOT SICK.

Ms. Celiac Apprentice

I'm sorry you got sick. Do you think that you may have an allergy/intolerance to another ingredient that they may use? I've very sensitive to gluten and I have eaten there several times and haven't had any problems yet. Perhaps, there was a mix-up in the kitchen and what you got wasn't gluten free...

Did you have a red plate? Because all of the gluten free food is served on bright red plates.

• 2 weeks later...
Ms. Celiac Apprentice

I just wanted to let everyone know that due to "a complaint," Gourmet Land is no longer serving gluten free Chinese food. This is why it may be better to educate, instead of complain, because otherwise we will lose all of the restaurants that are trying to accommodate us.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JK1333 Newbie

Wait. Did they really stop selling gluten-free?!?! That's horrible. i just moved to 87th and that would have been perfect. thank you to "whomever" may have complained so intensely that they would give up such a wonderful thing?

FYI - It is always best to be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE before complainng so as not to spoil it for the rest!

mandasmom Rookie

Wait. Did they really stop selling gluten-free?!?! That's horrible. i just moved to 87th and that would have been perfect. thank you to "whomever" may have complained so intensely that they would give up such a wonderful thing?

FYI - It is always best to be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE before complainng so as not to spoil it for the rest!

[/quote

It is ridiculous to think that any restaurant could be fully gluten free...think about it!! Not possible unless it is all gluten free and only gluten free...and no business could servive that!! Risk is part of life and part of individual choice...if you get sick then dont eat out..but the complaints only make it more difficult for those of us who except and tolerate risk..

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Unfortunately this is true. There is another (local) message board, that had several complaints from people, but some that were just downright ridiculous like they didn't think the staff was good looking enough.

I know when I eat out, regardless of if the restaurant has a gluten free menu, I am still taking a risk. I expect a restaurant that has a gluten free menu to take every precaution to avoid cross contamination, etc.; but in a kitchen that is also making gluten food, unfortunately mistakes happen. I agree, the people who complained and put up such a stink ruined it for 100's of other people and am really going to miss the mongolian beef and gingered spare ribs at Gourmet Land.

Archived