#1 terryjean

terryjean

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:06 PM

:D
Hi I would like to know what other gluten-free cottage cheeses are there besides Friendship?

PLMK! Thanks Terry N dumont NJ

Celiac for 10 years
diabetic 10years
IGA def
Interstisal cystitis

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 trents

trents

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:29 PM

I don't think you have to worry about cottage cheese containing gluten. With cheeses I think the only gluten worry is with soft cheese spreads and the stuff in aerosol cans and blue cheese, the latter often being cultured on a wheat substrate. Most hard cheeses are safe.

Steve

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:42 PM

Don't know of a cottage cheese that isn't gluten-free.

richard

#4 terryjean

terryjean

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:00 AM

So you don't see any problems when the cottage cheeses have mixed fruits in them either?? :unsure:

Thanks Terry

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:14 AM

You really need to call the company on this one. Most are gluten-free but not all, but when you get to the issue of the added fruit items you are getting into a higher risk. Your best, most nutritious and safest way to have added fruit is to add your own fresh fruit or gluten-free jam.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:42 AM

I can see where the concern comes from. Many reduced fat products have "something" added to compensate for texture and/or taste. Breakstone brand cottage cheese lists "modified food starch". They are a Kraft brand and the Kraft policy is to label the source of the food starch if it contains gluten. That puts this brand in a low risk category from my perspective but you have to decide how much risk to accept.

#7 land_turtle

land_turtle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

I'm sorry that this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one...Organic Valley's cottage cheese contains gluten according to their website and so does their grated parmesan cheese of which I've bought 3 containers and used, aaargh! I don't know what I was thinking, I know to check every brand and every thing. I just thought it was the lactose thing. Just a reminder to all to be careful out there, it's like being in a land mine field.

#8 PattyBoots

PattyBoots

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

If you can get it, you can't go wrong with Daisy brand. I don't buy any of the cheaper or off brand ones like Walmart that have ingredients I can't pronounce. I CAN pronounce "Cultured Grade A Milk". It doesn't keep quite as well, but then again, it doesn't have all that extra crap in it. And the sour cream is divine, too!

#9 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

I have been using Lactaid lowfat cottage cheese. I figured if I could drink the milk, then the cottage cheese is a safe bet.....Haven't had any problems...

#10 dtgirl

dtgirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

So far, the only cottage cheese I have found without all the weird food starches, soy lecthin, etc would be daisy or friendship. I wish I could find an organic one.

#11 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:30 AM

I'm sorry that this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one...Organic Valley's cottage cheese contains gluten according to their website and so does their grated parmesan cheese of which I've bought 3 containers and used, aaargh! I don't know what I was thinking, I know to check every brand and every thing. I just thought it was the lactose thing. Just a reminder to all to be careful out there, it's like being in a land mine field.

http://www.organicva...products/#c5137

I sure would like to know what form of gluten is in their cottage cheese. :huh: Can't figure out where wheat, barley or rye would play a role here.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

http://www.organicva...products/#c5137

I sure would like to know what form of gluten is in their cottage cheese. :huh: Can't figure out where wheat, barley or rye would play a role here.

My best guess would be as a thickener or binder in the cottage cheese and with the shredded they may coat the shreds to keep them from sticking together. Many companies now use potato starch for that now but some may still use gluten flours.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#13 hockeychickny83

hockeychickny83

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

The only Cottage cheese's that are gluten free that I know of (that you can buy in a regular grocery store) are Friendship, and Daisy. (same with their sour cream). To answer the question about Cottage Cheese with added fruits, I too was concerned. I normally buy the Friendship Cottage Cheese for a certain recipe. However recently while shopping in a hurry, I accidentally grabbed the one with added pineapple. Reading the ingrediants, modified food starch is one of the ingredients, which is one of the questoinable ingredients that a Celiac should not eat unless the source can be confirmed. In this case, I called the company. My 20 month old daughter has celiacs (and was deathly ill until we found the diagnosis, a nobody else in the family has been diagnosed)and so I had to make sure it was ok. According to the company, ALL Friendship products are gluten free. In this case, the modified food starch is derived from corn. All of their products are also made in a gluten free facility. So this particular cottage cheese with fruit is ok. However MOST Cottage Cheese's are unsafe. These are the only 2 brands I stick with that aren't going to break my budget and I can find at Publix. You pick up a different brand like Breakstone's (the kind I used to get before the diagnosis) or even the Walmart brand like I think someone mentioned, and the ingredient list is 5 times as long. Also, the Walmart brand will even list wheat in the allergen section. Unfortunately not all manufacturers do this. They list questionable ingredients and won't label whether or not it is a gluten free product, making the consumer do the research as to where the ingredients were derived from. Anyway, hope this helps.

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

The only Cottage cheese's that are gluten free that I know of (that you can buy in a regular grocery store) are Friendship, and Daisy. (same with their sour cream). To answer the question about Cottage Cheese with added fruits, I too was concerned. I normally buy the Friendship Cottage Cheese for a certain recipe. However recently while shopping in a hurry, I accidentally grabbed the one with added pineapple. Reading the ingrediants, modified food starch is one of the ingredients, which is one of the questoinable ingredients that a Celiac should not eat unless the source can be confirmed. In this case, I called the company. My 20 month old daughter has celiacs (and was deathly ill until we found the diagnosis, a nobody else in the family has been diagnosed)and so I had to make sure it was ok. According to the company, ALL Friendship products are gluten free. In this case, the modified food starch is derived from corn. All of their products are also made in a gluten free facility. So this particular cottage cheese with fruit is ok. However MOST Cottage Cheese's are unsafe. These are the only 2 brands I stick with that aren't going to break my budget and I can find at Publix. You pick up a different brand like Breakstone's (the kind I used to get before the diagnosis) or even the Walmart brand like I think someone mentioned, and the ingredient list is 5 times as long. Also, the Walmart brand will even list wheat in the allergen section. Unfortunately not all manufacturers do this. They list questionable ingredients and won't label whether or not it is a gluten free product, making the consumer do the research as to where the ingredients were derived from. Anyway, hope this helps.

This was quite an old thread.
In the US modified food starch that is derived from wheat must say it is from wheat. Most are corn or tapioca derived. If it doesn't say 'modified food starch (wheat)' it is safe.

#15 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

Old thread but our I emailed are local dairies and their cottage cheese are gluten-free.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: