10 replies to this topic

#1 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

I am looking for a substitute for rice and corn flour in the gluten free mixes you make yourself. I want to make some bread, muffins, donuts, anything but don't know what will work as a substitute for the rice flours that most of the receipes call for.
Thanks for your help.
Yellow Rose
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
rheumatoid arthritis May 1980
wrist joint replacement Jan 1984
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds
Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:54 AM

I like to use amaranth flour instead of rice flour. It is more nutritious than rice flour, and it does not have a strong taste. I actually like the taste it does have. I'm not sure about corn flour, but you should be able to replace it with just about anything.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#3 Arpita

Arpita

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

I use sorghum flour for just about everything. It has a taste very similar to wheat. You can get the Bob's Red Mill from many stores. Or you can order it online from Twin Valley Mills (which is better and cheaper). I have taken some recipes and just exchanged it one and one for wheat (such as shortbread, mexican tea cakes, pumpkin bread). Also, there are recipes at Twin Valley's website. Here's a flour-combo mix with sorghum that works with almost everything - 2 cups sorghum, 1 1/2 cups potato or corn starch, 1 cup tapioca (and substitute that for all the flour in the recipe). I have many sorghum recipes, and a chocolate chip cookie recipe that is definitely as good or better than regular chocolate chip cookies. When I have a little more time, I e-mail it to you.

#4 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:50 AM

I was going to second sorghum as being a good substitute. I don't bake much (actually it's been almost 7 months since I've baked anything! wow!) but I have had good results with sorghum.

As a sub for cornstarch, I use arrowroot starch. It works fine.
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#5 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

Thanks everyone this will really be helpful.
Yellow Rose
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

#6 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:55 AM

I also sub sorghum flour instead of rice flour and use the same combo as Armita does. The bread in my avatar is from www.twinvalleymills.com, modified for a few more allergies though.

Armita, I'd love for you to PM me the chocolate chip cookie recipe too when you have a chance (if it doesn't have a ton of eggs in it).
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#7 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:29 PM

I have been reading about some of you using coconut flour and having good results. But having to add a lot of eggs. Does anyone know what the adaptions would be if I substituted coconut flour. I am wanting to try several different ways of doing this.
Thanks again,
Yellow Rose

Armita when you get time I would love the recipe for your cookies!!!
Thanks,
Carole
27 years of misdiognoses
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's

#8 Arpita

Arpita

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:43 AM

I have been reading about some of you using coconut flour and having good results. But having to add a lot of eggs. Does anyone know what the adaptions would be if I substituted coconut flour. I am wanting to try several different ways of doing this.
Thanks again,
Yellow Rose

Armita when you get time I would love the recipe for your cookies!!!
Thanks,
Carole

#9 Arpita

Arpita

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:08 AM

Sorghum Recipes:

Chocolate Chip Cookies #1
3/4 cup sorghum flour (Twin Valley)
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1 tsp zanthum gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup coconut oil OR palm shortening OR lard (no soy or casein)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla (gluten free)
1 egg (or egg replacer)
1 cup chocolate chips (enjoy life or chocolate emporium if you want soy & casein free)
1/4 cup nuts
Bake on 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Chocolate Chip Cookies #2 - has some rice flour
7/8 cup sorghum flour
1/8 cup garbanzo flour
1/8 cup sweet rice flour
1 tsp zanthum gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening (see above for soy & casein free alternatives)
3/8 cup granulated sugar
3/8 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup chocolate chips (see above for soy free)
Bake on 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Sugar cookies -- Rolls out easier than wheat!
2 1/2 cups easy sorghum flour mix (see below)
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons zanthum gum
1 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening (see above for alternatives)
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla

add potato starch or flour mix as needed until you can knead it. It is OK to work the dough as much as you want (or not to).

Easy Sorghum Flour mix: 6 cups sorghum, 6 cups corn starch, 5 cups tapioca.
Can substitute arrowroot starch. Can substitute potato starch but lesson amount to 4 cups.
CAN actually use ONLY sorghum flour (it won't be a total flop like some of the rice recipes).

#10 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:39 AM

Thanks, Arpita! We're in the mood for some cookies today so I'll be making some!

Do you always order your flour through Twin Valley? I have emailed them a few times and gotten no response so I wasn't sure. Should I call them? Is their flour better than BRM?
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:19 AM

Hi Arpita,

Your recipe #1 looks great, and I'd like to try it. I'm wondering if I could sub cornstarch for the tapioca since I'm intolerant to tapioca?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: