This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potatoes Are The Problem!

Michael Fowler

Michael Fowler Newbie

Hi,

I suffered from, pseudo-Celiac, for 35years. I had all of the symptoms, but tested negative. When I was a child Kaiser Hospital was going crazy trying to save my life, as I was suffering from malnourishment. When I was 5 years old I weighed 37lbs. This may not be true for everyone, but no one ever told me about nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant). Complete elimination of nightshades has cured me completely.

I would like to hear how many other have had the same success.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

modiddly16 Enthusiast

This confuses me...so you thought you were celiac, and acted on a diet that was gluten-free but now that you removed "nightshades" which I never heard of (good to learn new things!) you can eat wheat with no problems?

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, I am intolerant to nightshades as well as gluten, plus a lot of other things. A few years ago cutting out nightshades (I was tested for intolerances and those showed up) made me feel much better. I stopped having migraines (caused by tomatoes), and my bowel problems got a lot better at that time. But my joint pains and other horrible problems didn't go away. Because those were caused by gluten, rice, eggs and a host of other foods.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

URSULA,

I MISS THOSE LINKS YOU USED TO HAVE UNDER YOUR NAME.

ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH THE NO OXALATE DIET?

THESE NIGHTSHADES ARE ON IT. A COUPLE OF OTHER BOARD MEMBERS ARE TRYING THIS AND 1 ESP IS DOING AMAZINGLY WELL WITH THESE FOODS OUT OF HER DIET...AND OF COURSE..gluten-free, SF, DF, ETC AS WELL.

CAN YOU SHARE SOME MORE INFO WITH US?

JUDY IN PHILLY

kevieb Newbie

ursula---i'm with judy---i think your links were great. i'm starting to see "nightshade intolerance" pop up more and more often in various places.

mamaw Community Regular

I agree nightshade veggies can cause alot of problems but I agree with Ursula that other things caus other problems also. So are you saying you are better since stopping the nightshade veggies???

You stated when you were 5 , you weighed 37#'s, correct & they (doctors) thought you were starving to death??? I never heard of nightshade veggies being responsible for starvation...

I too had problems with the nightshade family of veggies but as an allergy or intolerance which is totally different from Celiacs..... I was treated for nightshade veggies & have been eating them ever since with no problems..... also folks who have their gallbaldders removed also seem to have trouble with this family of veggies.

Ursula the wee people in the pic ( grandchildren ) are adorable!!!!

mamaw

gluless Newbie

Hi --I am the one doing "amazingly" well on the diet that JudyL mentioned. Gluten containing foods such as barley, whole grains, and nightshade foods are all high oxalate foods (soy included) when I cut out gluten foods, I got some better, but when I cut out high oxalate foods, the results have been AMAZING. Fibromyalgia has finally been leaving me-- with the hard, painful nodules literally DISSOLVING daily!! Bowel problems finally cleared up, skin, nails, hair etc. all improving dramatically. I firmly believe that anyone who has a little improvement going gluten free, but still having problems should look into trying this. I believe it is caused by ENTERIC HYPEROXALURIA --(quote from an article from emedicine by Bijan Shekarriz, M.D.)--" Enteric Hyperoxaluria accounts for approximately 5% of all cases of hyperoxaluria. It is due to a gastrointestinal problem usually associated with chronic diarrhea. Malabsorption from any cause, such as colitis or jejunoileal bypass surgery (celiac??-my words), can result in enteric hyperoxaluria. The chronic diarrhea results in less intestinal calcium for oxalate binding. Without the calcium necessary to adequately bind oxalates in the intestinal tract, additional oxalate is absorbed and then excreted in the urinary tract. Exposure of the colonic mucosa to excess bile salts increases its oxalate permeability. "

I have found that by following the low oxalate diet, taking supplemental calcium citrate with magnesium, and a probiotic, that I have been waking up each day with a new improvement and am finally getting my life back. Talk to your doctor before trying any new diet, and make sure you keep your diet balanced. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about this and am convinced this is the key to many of our continuing health problems. I hope you all get the amazing results I have and I would love to hear from anyone else who tries this. Take care.

gluless --FORMERLY THE POSTER KNOWN AS ROBBIN!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Thanks for posting Robbin.

I know your personal experience will help others just as you have helped me.

Many on here know I've been gluten-free, for 2 years 3 month...same story.....as most others.......first 5 months ........GREAT SUCCESS..........THEN...INTOLERANT TO SOY.............

then last five months dairy free...........and since the gut has healed so much ............the oxalates seem to be the last key for me.............sure I seemed to tolerate them up till about a month ago.....I have eaten them all this time...but bother me now

The fibro is almost gone.........the brain fog so much better and not spending my life...'bathroom mapping'. ;)

I'm with Robbin, hoping that others will respond with their personal experiences

hugs

judy

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Thought I would chime in here that I also have a problem with the nightshades. The only one that I eat is tomatoes...

I never could eat any of the gluten-free grains that everyone enjoys & I have recently had a problem with rice. I was already gluten-free DF for 3+ years now. I will say that for the most part I feel okay & I work out at the gym, but I watch what I eat very closely..

For about 3 weeks now, I have been eating Paleo, which has added an extra little energy boost & I hope to lose a couple of pounds. I am not craving any carbs ets.

Paleo is one of the healthiest diets in my opinion. Basically Paleo is no grains, no dairy, no legumes, no peanut butter (a legume), no potatoes - really it is nothing manufactured just pure meats, fruits, veggies, seafood, nuts & seeds & some eggs.

I wholeheartedly agree that if you are gluten-free/DF and not 100% you need to look at things like oxalates, lectins, grains, etc. It makes a huge difference. & why give up wheat & dairy & not feel 100% healthy, is the way i look at it.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Ursa major, this was on another thread but I foget where - you said that your daughter could not eat eggs in baked goods. I finally figured out that I have the same problem, I kept thinking about it & I thought well, I can eat boiled eggs & no problems - but somehow everytime I ate a homemade baked anything it would make me very nauceous & then the big D. I always blamed it on the grains, but I think it is really the combination of the egg & the grains - but no idea the why of it...

I have always had problems with combinations of foods. The worst was corn chips & potato chips which would make me turn green right before the projectile vomitting happened. For many years after those days, I could not eat corn or potatoes. Still only eat potatoes rarely.

sorry to drift OT...

Michael Fowler Newbie
This confuses me...so you thought you were celiac, and acted on a diet that was gluten-free but now that you removed "nightshades" which I never heard of (good to learn new things!) you can eat wheat with no problems?

Hi,

The solanine in nightshades inflames the intestines, so they are rendered incapable of digesting wheat and dairy. After, I completely stopped nightshades and allowed a few weeks to heal, I could eat wheat and dairy without problems! I used to have heavy diarrhea, and gas, it never occurs now. The reason most never find success is that it take 3 months to get rid of solainine! So, if you cheat even a little bit it will cause problems, no taters, tomaters, pepper, or eggplant. Annnd AAAAAnnnnd! You must avoid any bread made with potato water!! If the bread is soft the next day it was generally made with potato water to keep it soft. Sourdough is the easyist bread to digest.

Anonymousgurl Contributor

This is so interesting! This may sound like a silly question, but which foods fall under the "nightshades" category?

I have horrible digestive issues, even when I am gluten free. Of course they're worse when I'm on gluten, but I still get these terrible spasms and massive amounts of bloating that I can't get rid of. Perhaps this could be the answer..

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

PEACENLOVE--

HERE IS A GOOD THREAD THAT TELLS OF THE FOODS TO AVOID.

Open Original Shared Link

JUDY

sickchick Community Regular

For me Tomates and Peppers are the worst. :huh:

Michael Fowler Newbie
Gosh, Michael, I see you've only posted 4 times and now we see your 'plugging' you book.

Well I'll go take a look at it on amazon.

I do hope that you will not try to convince those with actual CELIAC DISEASE..WITH POSITIVE BLOOD WORK & ENDOSCOPES & IDENTIFYING GENES....THAT NOT EATING NITE SHADES WITH CURE THEM.

I Have found great success over the past month--- that I'm healing better ---without the nite shades.

Can you tell me if all oxalate foods on the link I provided above are covered in your book...or must I purchase it first? ;)

You can refer to my earlier posts to the years I've been gluten free as well as free of other intolerant foods.

Judy

Hi Judy,

Celic's is a very real disease, but it can be exacerbated by nightshades. In fact nightshades may prevent an possibility of the body curing itself if that is possible. (that is only my guess) Solanine is a cell disruptor, that attacks the lining of the intestine. This is why so many people seem to have Celiac's but test false. Those with true Celiac's may find that a steady diet of nightshades only makes things worse, as many doctors, in fact some of the leading ones, recommend potatoes during more difficult times, as potatoes are allergy free, but they are toxic. My claim is not that nightshades cause or cure Celiac's but those who have true Celiac's should be aware of the effects of nightshades on the intestine, as they are in more danger that others.

I only cover nightshades, nothing about other oxalate foods. My focus was on the neurotoxins contianed in nightshades, solanine, nictoine, atropine, etc. In fact other oxalate foods might be getting a bad rap, due to being grouped with nightshades. Nightshades are the only staple food we eat that contain neurotoxins, they should be the first step in diagnoses. Nightshades are causing more problems than possible exacerbation with Celiacs, they are responsible for

* Arthritis

* Appendicitis

* Alzheimer's

* Birth Defects and Miscarriages

* Cancer

* Chronic Fatigue.

* Depression.

* Endocrine System Dysfunctions

* Eczema, Gout and Allergies

* Food Poisoning.

* Intestinal Disorders

* Liver Toxins

* Memory Loss.

* Mental Dysfunctions

* Mental Development and Schizophrenia.

* Migraine Headaches

* Overeating and Malnourishment

* Parkinson's Disease.

* Polio (remittent fever)

* Osteoporosis, Rickets, and Vitamin D

* Wheat and Dairy Allergies

Every single claim is backed up by studies, not my guesses. Every claim is footnoted so you can find the original studies and examine them.

"

Ursa Major Collaborator

Two of my grandchildren are intolerant to nightshades as well. When those twins (strangely, not identical, a boy and a girl) were six months old, my daughter had them tested with a vega machine, because of eczema and digestive problems, plus horrible diaper rashes. When she stopped eating nightshades (as she was breastfeeding them exclusively until they were about eight months old), all those problems cleared up.

Those children didn't eat any nightshades at all for five years. Still, my grandson was skin and bones and never had a single solid bowel movement. Finally my daughter put him on a gluten-free diet about three months ago. He has stopped having 'growing pains' (there is no such a thing) in his legs, he has solid bowel movements for the first time in his life, and he has gained a lot of weight.

He is still slender. But he isn't skin and bones any more. When I picked him up the other day (I only see him once every few months, because they don't live near us), he was actually heavy! Three months ago he weighed no more than a toddler (or large baby).

So, despite him not having any nightshades for the first five years of his life, he is unable to tolerate gluten. I also haven't eaten nightshade foods for years, but gluten makes me ill.

Apparently, cutting out nightshades will help a lot of people, including me, to feel much better. But that doesn't mean it will get all gluten intolerant people to be able to then tolerate gluten grains and dairy again.

Michael, I am glad for you that the nightshades were your answer, and that you are well now and can eat bread and dairy again. But obviously, that doesn't work for everybody.

Michael Fowler Newbie
Michael, I am glad for you that the nightshades were your answer, and that you are well now and can eat bread and dairy again. But obviously, that doesn't work for everybody.

Hi Ursa,

I would never say that everyones problems are from nightshades or that Celic's is caused by nightshades. My point is that few are even aware of the problems they can cause. Gluten is certainly a problem for many people, those (like me) who are effected by nightshades in such a way that we become unable to tolerate gluten, should be aware of it. So should doctors.

Lastly, tremendous amounts of bread is made with potato water, which will make some people ill, and thus think they have a problem with wheat rather than nightshade. The old nightshade in the loaf of bread trick.

The more we know, the better.

Thanks,

Michael

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

DEAR MICHAEL

THANKS FOR CLEARING THIS UP AND POSTING ALL THE INFO YOU DID.

I DO THINK YOU HAVE A REAL 'PIECE OF THE PUZZLE' FOR SOME OF US.

IT'S FUNNY............AND I'M SURE YOU CAN EXPLAIN IT FOR ME....................

WHEN I FIRST WENT gluten-free FOR 5 MONTHS............I FELT WONDERFUL...................AND............WAS EATING MASHED POTATOES ALL THE TME.................

NOW AFTER 2 YEARS AND 3 MONTHS.........FINDING THAT NIGHTSHADES AND OXALATE'S ARE PROBLEMS BUT................SINCE TAKING CALCIUM CITRATE - MAGNESIUM IN A SUPPLEMENT CALLED ......'TOTAL MINS IRON - FREE' by COUNTRY LIFE...........IT'S JUST MY OPINION

BUT IT'S DOING AMAZING THINGS TO HELP ME HEAL ...........FINALLY............AFTER ALL THESE YEARS.

THANKS FOR THE POST AND INFO MICHAEL AND KEEP FEEDING US INFO OK?

JUDY

Ursa Major Collaborator

I had never heard that wheat bread is often baked with potato water. If that is true, it is a really dirty trick! But since I never ate any bread besides German sourdough rye bread (I've always hated that fluffy American wheat bread), that wasn't a problem for me.

Still, it will be good for people to be aware of that.

Michael Fowler Newbie
I had never heard that wheat bread is often baked with potato water. If that is true, it is a really dirty trick! But since I never ate any bread besides German sourdough rye bread (I've always hated that fluffy American wheat bread), that wasn't a problem for me.

Still, it will be good for people to be aware of that.

Ursa,

Yes, nightshades are a very simple piece of the puzzle, that is completely over looked. It is my goal to make this as well known as possible. Sadly, the admin has said that I cannot mention my book. Seems odd to me, as other sources are allowed to be mentioned :(

Take Care,

Michael Fowler

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Sadly, the admin has said that I cannot mention my book. Seems odd to me, as other sources are allowed to be mentioned :( Take Care,Michael Fowler

Dear Michael,

I'm so sorry ..it was probably my post that got their attention but there have been alot of people coming on to 'push their stuff' thus the rules.

Your can't post it but other members can post but just not the writer or seller of the product.

I think that your info is so important ...some will agree...some will not...that's the way the forum runs

I went to your profile and saw the link so admin let you put it here. People can now go there to get the info and that's nornal policy as I said before.

Good luck and please keep posting and keep sharing with us.

Hugs judy in Philly

Ursa Major Collaborator

Michael, I went and checked Amazon.ca, and they don't have your book yet, but it is coming (I know that you can get it from amazon .com already, I looked at it, but I prefer the Canadian one, as I save on shipping). I am planning on buying it, with all the nightshade problems in my family.

And Judy is right, it is obviously allowed to have a link to your book in your profile, so people can get to it easily.

You do realize, I hope, that gluten isn't good for anybody? So, even if you don't get obvious symptoms from it, you would do well to minimize exposure to it, or even cut it out completely.

I have tried telling people that nightshades are toxic for a long time, but of course, they just laugh at me and point to all the sources that claim those foods are extremely healthy. It is very frustrating, to say the least.

Guest Maggi315

Ok, this makes me want to cry because I can see how this could totally apply to me and my family. :( so, what the heck are we supposed to eat. Seriously, if I cut out all of the following, i really have no idea what to cook my kids that they will actually eat, like, and no feel like they have to run out and cheat: gluten, dairy, eggs, nightingshades, food coloring and dyes, artifical sweetners, peanuts, well really most nuts.

anyone want to give me some daily menu ideas that little ones are going to eat? Cause, a salad with no ranch dressing and tomatoes and cheese isn't going to fly around here very well!

i feel sooooo overwhelmed

nora-n Rookie

Paleo diet should be low oxalate and certainly potato-free I think.

There should be some websites around for paleo recipes.

Walnuts should be okay i think.

Maybe blood type diet type 0 should be very close. There are type 0 recipes around too. I am type 0 and react to gluten and milk so the similarity has struck me. Type 0 should not have potatoes either.

nora

Michael Fowler Newbie
Ok, this makes me want to cry because I can see how this could totally apply to me and my family. :( so, what the heck are we supposed to eat. Seriously, if I cut out all of the following, i really have no idea what to cook my kids that they will actually eat, like, and no feel like they have to run out and cheat: gluten, dairy, eggs, nightingshades, food coloring and dyes, artifical sweetners, peanuts, well really most nuts.

anyone want to give me some daily menu ideas that little ones are going to eat? Cause, a salad with no ranch dressing and tomatoes and cheese isn't going to fly around here very well!

i feel sooooo overwhelmed

Dear Maggi,

Don't cry...or I will. I cannot tell you what you can and cannot eat, I can say that after eliminating nightshades I can eat everything else with joy and ease. Nightshades cause me problems with gluten and dairy. Sweet potatoes are about the best food you can eat, hopefully you can eat those, they are not part of the nightshade family.

Nightshades caused me such harm that I had malnurishment, but now I can eat everything, all dairy, wheat, food coloring(yuck), ranch dressing. etc.. I do avoid deep fat fried food, because it is fatting.

I am quickly working a second book, but for now look into sweet potatoes, you can may sweet potato (fries, pies, mashed, baked, kabobs, etc.) a true super food.

Michael Fowler

Archived