This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Glutening And A ?

buffettbride

buffettbride Enthusiast

We had been doing so well. No glutenings in over a month, which was our longest stretch yet. DD has been gluten-free since May. This weekend she spent the night at my MILs house. We've versed her really well in the OK foods and the not OK foods and usually bring extra stuff for her to eat in case MIL is unsure of something (she's stayed there before with no glutenings). Grandma even gets the CC thing for the most part. BUT, she let my son who is 3 years old have some regular raisin toast before my DD woke up (bless his heart, he even told MIL at breakfast that his toast had gluten!). I don't know if she didn't clean the table good enough or if my son didn't wash his hands well enough (if at all), but he was bringing grapes out of a bowl on the counter to DD (it very well could have been other gluteny hands already had contaminated the grapes as well).

She spent most of yesterday just feeling icky as all can get out. Thankfully compared to most her reactions are mild, but it still feels like she's been punched in the stomach for several hours and the burping and painful hiccups and the stools that are yellow and flakey almost immediately. Not to mention the brain fog!! She is just a mess like that when glutened. I wasn't too upset with my MIL because she really does try and not that I would ever want to gluten DD on purpose, but it really sends the message home to relatives that even a CRUMB is the same as a loaf of bread. I think now at least MIL believes how absolutely difficult it can be to let gluten and gluten-free foods cohabitate (we keep our house gluten-free for that reason).

That said, I want some parental experiences with Cheetos. The ingredients look OK, Frito Lay currently has it on the gluten-free list, but processed on shared lines with gluten products (cleanings in between of course). This would be a nice treat to add to DDs snack box in her classroom as she is tiring of (plain) Fritos which is the only Frito-Lay product we've been brave enough to stick with. The Cheetos are very convenient because they come in serving-size packages, perfect for the classroom.

So, what are your thoughts, experience, opinions with Cheetos?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

maccygirly Newbie

Concerning the Cheetos, I actually just had some the other day and for me, I didn't experience any problems. But then again, I am recently diagnosed so I'm still not one hundred percent symptom free so definately wait for some more input on this one.

jmd3 Contributor
So, what are your thoughts, experience, opinions with Cheetos?

Cheetos are on the gluten-free safe list, but I think they have msg in them so we try to avoid them at all cost. I know the freetos scoops are gluten-free, and they are made in a gluten-free factory ... so I am told. (the regular freetos are not make in a gluten-free environment.) The scoops have a bit different taste than the reg freetos, not as greasy perhaps; but I can't eat those too well either, but I sure liked them.

Sorry about the accidental glutening...I hope your little one feels better soon. But, congrats on the longest stretch gluten-free yet, hope it is even longer next time!!!

horsegirl Enthusiast

Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? They have a Cheeto-type snack that is low in fat because it's baked, & it's gluten free. They have both crunchy & puffy cheese snacks; I used to love eating them (but don't now because I'm casein-free now too. :( )

Good luck!

buffettbride Enthusiast

No Trader Joe's here but I've seen the "puffy" ones in the Vitamin Cottage near my house.

As for MSG, we generally avoid it because it's bad for you, but DD has never reacted to it so I'm not *too* worried about that part.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I eat Cheetos all the time with no problems.

barbara123 Apprentice
Cheetos are on the gluten-free safe list, but I think they have msg in them so we try to avoid them at all cost. I know the freetos scoops are gluten-free, and they are made in a gluten-free factory ... so I am told. (the regular freetos are not make in a gluten-free environment.) The scoops have a bit different taste than the reg freetos, not as greasy perhaps; but I can't eat those too well either, but I sure liked them.

Sorry about the accidental glutening...I hope your little one feels better soon. But, congrats on the longest stretch gluten-free yet, hope it is even longer next time!!!

When I was in Arizona last month i went to a store called Bashes and they had a natural cheetos that came in a brown bag that it said on the package gluten free I would love to find them here guess I will have my dad sent me some :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

buffettbride Enthusiast
I eat Cheetos all the time with no problems.

What a glorious thing that must be. :D

beaglemania Rookie

I eat cheetos a lot now. I have started eating the cheeto puff balls that come in the 100-Calorie bags. Love them and good portion sized for a kid

kevieb Newbie

my gilrs eat cheetos and off-brand cheese snacks without any problems.

vanillazeis Rookie

lays stax are gluten-free and they come individually packaged! just thought id add that!!! my 3 year old loves them.

mamaloca2 Apprentice

I got glutened from cheetos, no doubt. I won't try them again!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

oh my gosh - Cheetos give me a blowout! :o It's the MSG, and all the chemicals. I never eat anything highly processed or artificial any more....just doesn't make sense and makes me feel like.....crap!

buffettbride Enthusiast

I actually gave DD the option of having some and she declined. She said herself that food that is too processed doesn't taste very good and doesn't make her feel well. Not like a glutening, but just doesn't feel "right."

So, I'm beaming proud of course that she is making good food choices for herself. :D No Cheetos for the classroom for her, she wants fresh fruit. :D

horsegirl Enthusiast

That is too awesome! My daughter (not diagnosed with anything & hopefully never will be!) is 3 and

sees the healthy foods we eat in our household too. Her idea of a "perfect" dessert is a tub of unsweetened applesauce with dried strawberries or another kind of fruit! And she doesn't like fast food or stuff like that either. I love seeing kids make healthy food choices on their own (she also loves to put in my Pilates tapes & "exercise" on her own - cute to watch! ) :lol:

Have a great day!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Can you get Hawkins Cheezies in the states? They are gluten-free and made in a gluten-free factory.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

You might try Whole Foods 365 brand cheetos, I do not think they have things like MSG in them, but I really do not remember the ingredient list. I think they taste better than regular cheetos & have less chemicals & are cheaper...

JennyC Enthusiast

Frito-Lay products are a hit or miss. It seems like they have a high risk of cross contamination. I usually do not buy their products, but if my son is really having a Cheetos craving I will buy a small bag. I will try Trader Joe's or Whole Foods brand.

Archived