8 replies to this topic

#1 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:16 PM

I don't know if others have had this problem, but I failed to notice the recent change in the (very) fine print of Outback's gluten-free menu and got sick after eating a salad with their house dressing, mustard vinaigrette.

I'm actually really ticked off at them, because this dressing used to be gluten-free, and it's the only one of theirs I can eat that I also like! I suppose I should pop on over to their website and complain now, while I'm thinking about it. :angry:

--Sarah
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:58 AM

If people start complaining, they may do away with their gluten-free menu altogether. That's what happened with Bennigans. So, please, think it through before you do.
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#3 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:19 PM

it is pretty clear on their menu that that salad dressing isn't gluten free. i'm literally looking at it right now. i don't think it's fair to complain if it's listed on the menu, unless i'm missing something?
gXf since november 1998

#4 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:30 PM

Even things listed gluten-free that I have ordered there before I always ask about again and confirm just in case.

Sorry to hear about the change and you eing sick, S_W.

#5 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:10 PM

Their gluten-free menu definitely changed recently. I clearly remember a six- or seven-page menu on which it was stated (repeatedly, if I recall correctly) that ALL salad dressings were gluten-free, but now the menu is two pages long, the print is absolutely tiny, and no attention is drawn to this significant change in gluten-free status.

I asked what was up with the mustard vinaigrette and they responded that the recipe has not changed; they just now discovered that the tarragon vinegar in the dressing is not gluten-free.

So the dressing has always been a problem, but I most likely didn't notice it half the time because 1.) the amount of gluten I consumed was tiny, especially since I always order the dressing on the side and use less than half of it, and 2.) the lingering effects of other gluten "accidents" obscured what reaction I may have had.

So I'm still upset, but it's good to know that the Outback cares enough to recheck all its ingredients periodically (and that this wasn't a deliberate change made without celiacs in mind).

--Sarah
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#6 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:23 AM

I went to our local Outback last night... I've only been gluten-free one month but I had a nice time, they seemed to know what they were doing and I'm sure I didn't get any cross contamination because I felt great last night and this morning. I'm so glad to have somewhere to go!

Susan :rolleyes:

#7 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:28 AM

RE: Change in ingredients in salad dressing by Outback

To SeekingWholeness:

Sometimes it's how you say it, and not what you say. You can try this method as it's worked for me; as there is no sense in letting the other person knowing how mad I am because mad won't change things for the better, but I am getting my point across without stepping on toes:

Thank Outback for finding out that the salad dressing you like is not gluten-free, that perhaps in the future, if they have an opportunity to replace that gluteny salad dressing with a gluten-free one, to please do that. Then praise them when you contact them for the things that they are doing good and that you absolutely appreciate the gluten-free menu.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#8 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:22 AM

We went to Outback yesterday and I asked for their gluten free menu and was told it wasn't a menu, but a guide. It was long and I checked the salad dressings and they said on the menu all were gluten free. Then on the bottom I noticed that the date from the printout was 2003. The printout was the same that I had gotten a long time ago from the internet. I ordered the tangy tomato dressing on the side and didn't get sick. I did have to watch everyone chow down on a bloomin onion though, and that was hard! I'm definitely going to have to get a deep fat fryer. But, I made sure not to order the mustard vinegrette, thanks to Seeking Wholeness, because I wouldn't have known it wasn't gluten-free. They were nice though, and it's great to have somewhere to eat where they don't make you feel like the biggest pain in the neck in the world! In fact quite the opposite! My food almost got cold as the waiter had to tell me all about his peanut allergy. Guess he felt we were "kindred spirits'! Lol :rolleyes:
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#9 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:09 AM

check out the menu on www.outback.com it's got the salad dressing clearly listed (in normal font!) i don't even know if my local outback has a gluten-free menu, i just use the one off the internet. it was updated 11/04
gXf since november 1998

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: