#1 Oisin

Oisin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi,

I have just been diagnosed with celiac disease although I have been suffering its symptoms for about 10 years. As I am only 32 years old does anyone know would a DEXA scan really be necessary in my case or would it only be necessary for older people ?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 buffettbride

buffettbride

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

My daughter is 10 and has Celiac disease (dxd just this past May) and she goes in to the peds GI at Children's Hospital in Denver (who dxd her) to discuss a DEXA scan in 6 months. They might not do one right away, but certainly at the onset of puberty. So, no, I wouldn't say 32 seems young, in fact seems appropriate and preventative considering the myriad of problems associated with Celiac--osteoperosis being one of them.

#3 EBsMom

EBsMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:50 PM

I'm 44 and I just had one done. I requested the scan myself, along with lots of bloodwork. I never had big symptoms with my gluten consumption, so I really wanted to try and gauge how "sick" I really am. I told my Dr. (my primary) what I was thinking and he agreed that it was a good idea to get a baseline. So.... we did. The scan is a piece of cake, BTW. It took less than 10 minutes. I've heard of people much younger than me (or you, even) having ostopenia or osteoporosis....so I don't think you're too young to check it out.

Rho

#4 Luisa2552

Luisa2552

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:13 PM

Is a DEXA scan the same thing as a bone density scan? My doctor has ordered one for me. I'm 41 and adopted. I do have health history on my mothers side that shows she and her mother both had early onset osteoporosis. My GI doc wonders if they both had celiac disease.
If DEXA is what I should have instead I'd like to know...
Sara

IgA neg
IgG Pos
Biopsies showed blunted villi
HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ5
Gluten free since mid 7/07 and feel great

Daughters 8 & 11 Celiac panels negative

#5 Oisin

Oisin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:33 AM

Is a DEXA scan the same thing as a bone density scan? My doctor has ordered one for me. I'm 41 and adopted. I do have health history on my mothers side that shows she and her mother both had early onset osteoporosis. My GI doc wonders if they both had celiac disease.
If DEXA is what I should have instead I'd like to know...

Hi Sara,

Yes, the DEXA scan is the technical name for a bone density scan.

Oisín

#6 Piccolo

Piccolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:43 AM

Yes I would have the DEXA Scan. I noticed my shoulders start curving down in my 30's. :angry: I did nothing about it. At one point my pcp said take Oscal-D. It caused too many GI problems and I stopped it. Fast forward to now. At 58 one year ago I had a heal scan and I was -3. In December I broke my toe and I am still having problems with it. I was started on Boniva. In June 07 I had the DEXA Scan done and I measured -3.5. I do not like the curve of my back. I have only been menapause 4 years. I have been gluten free just one year.

Susan
Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

#7 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:48 AM

Hi Sara,

Yes, the DEXA scan is the technical name for a bone density scan.
Oisín

If you have recently been diagnosed with celiac, you should definitely consider having a DEXA (Dual X-ray Absorptometry) scan done. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis caused by my (then undiagnosed) celiac in my early 20's by a DEXA scan. You mentioned above that you have had symptoms for many years. Osteoporosis caused by malabsorption is one of the main things celiacs that are newly diagnosed need to be checked for.

Please consider having it done. It is quick and painless and requires no prep. You only get one set of bones, and if you do have osteopenia or osteoporosis you can begin to treat it.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#8 sillyyak

sillyyak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

Hi

Yes please do not hestitate to have the scan. I had the scan 11 years PRIOR to being diagnosed with sprue because my mother and grandmother had early onset osteoporosis and the MD thought it would be a good idea. Well I had the scan at 22 and it showed Osteopenia. The curious thing is that no one bothered to say "Gee your 22, You're kinda young to have bone loss. Let's figure out why". 11 years later I was diagnosed with sprue and then the MD were like "Gee NOW we know why you have bone loss" DUH

Get the totally painless test.
Diagnosed 11-11-05 after 3 months of major symptoms, including 2 hospitalizations and 7 ER visits for dehydration and syncope. Otherwise, I had all "normal" blood tests and major scans. During those 3 months, lost 20 pounds, all my muscle tone, and ultimately could not walk for 2 days. Spent 6 days during the second hospitalization hooked up to IV and STILL passing out IN BED due to malnutrition with doctors staring at me AS IF it was all IN MY HEAD

Other related symptoms:
Osteopenia
Hypothyroidism
Gluten Ataxia - three "nodes" recently found in my brain (thought I had MS)
Muscle weakness
Fatigue
Chronic Constipation
45 pound weight gain since going gluten-free!

gluten-free since 11-11-05. Cannot eat bananas, potatoes, or spinach. Recently reintroduced yogurt into my diet and able to tolerate plain yogurt with sugar.

HATE the diet but psychologically tolerating it for my health.

#9 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:04 AM

It wouldn't hurt to have it done. I remember having very painful bone pains pre-diagnosis. If you were sick for quite a few years and your body was missing those nutrients...it could have affected your bones. In the end it is up to you whether or not to have it done. I see it only being a help in your health.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:49 AM

By all means have it done. I have osteoporosis, it was diagnosed right after my celiac was. I chose not to take meds for it and have increased my calcium intake and the amount of weight bearing excercise I do. We will see on my next scan if that alone is helping.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 Luisa2552

Luisa2552

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for all the replys. I have scheduled a bone scan for next week. I have had intense lower back pain for about 6 months. It hurts so bad to stand more than 10 minutes or so. I haven't been to the doctor for it because I've been too busy tracking the elusive Celiac diagnosis! I figured one problem at a time. I think it's due to an old mattress. Hope the pain isn't from osteoporosis :( .
Sara

IgA neg
IgG Pos
Biopsies showed blunted villi
HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ5
Gluten free since mid 7/07 and feel great

Daughters 8 & 11 Celiac panels negative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: