29 replies to this topic

#16 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:13 PM

Thank you all sooooo much for your replies! I have lots of options now. I think we'll be having a lot of pizza in the future, as I try these out. But hey, I'm one of those people that believe pizza is a health food. B)

I will probably try the from-scratch recipes first...

David, one question about your crust recipe...
Caster sugar-- this is very fine granulated sugar, right? Does it have a one-to-one substitution ratio with American "standard" granulated sugar? I'm betting it probably does, but just in case, I thought I should ask.

Thank you again, everyone. No one should have to settle for pizza with grody crust ;)

-Sarah

Hi Sarah,
Yes you are right it is 'standard American granulated sugar'.
Let me know what you think ?
I've sent you a PM. (private message)
Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 little d

little d

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:33 PM

Ok I am hungry for Pizza now!!!

I like Amy's rice crust pizza, but I will try this weekend Kinninnick, they will last me a while since I am the only one in the house that eats Gluten free.

donna
Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

#18 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:06 PM

The Bravo rest. chain is trying out Kinnickinnick pizza crust .They have a big gluten-free menu. I tried the pizza crust & to me it tasted way to sweet & more like a bisquick type crust . When I have pizza I want the real deal in the crust not bisquick.
Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't like K. pizza crust?

mamaw

#19 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

This is the crust I like, and I have to fight my gluten-eating kids to get a piece for myself:

gluten-free Pizza Crust

1 packet yeast (about 1 tablespoon)
3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature (if casein-free, use rice milk with 1 tsp cider vinegar)
1/2 cup potato starch
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
cup shortening
corn meal for dusting

preheat oven to 400. Spray 9 x 13 pan with Pam, dust with corn meal.
Diissolve yeast in milk.

Combine all dry ingredients in mixer bowl (I use a stand mixer). Add shortening and mix well.

Slowly add milk/yeast mixture. Beat on medium for 3 minutes.

Dust a LARGE solid cutting board with corn meal. Dump dough on cutting board, sprinkle with more corn meal. Roll out or press out dough to something close to 9 x 13.

Fold dough in half, and half again. Lift onto 9 x 13 pan, unfold, and press it to fit pan.

Add your favorite toppings, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Or, bake untopped at 375 for 15-25 minutes, cool, freeze, and then top and reheat when ready!

#20 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:59 AM

i was desperate for something like a pizza crust the other day, and i've got these english muffins from Glutino that i love. so i slapped on some toppings and put them in my toaster oven! turned out GREAT!!! nice crunchy taste!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#21 Cam's Mom

Cam's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

Hi!

This recipe was floating around on a thread on this forum a while back. My family loves it (even the gluten eating ones). But when in a hurry we have started using chebe as well and it is just as good. In order to make it a little more like a wheat crust I add 2 Tablespoons of pamela's baking mix and about 2 tablespoons of flax meal (cuz I put it in just about everything! :D ). Then add enough milk to make it intoa dough - following the other directions on the package. Excellent! and so easy.

Here is the other recipe (an I added flax meal to this one too - really, try it, it's good!)

NY Style Pizza
Makes one 16" crust or two smaller crusts - foldable floppy and not crispy.
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons rapid rise yeast
1 1/3 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/3 cup brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin powder
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425F degrees. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. In a separate larger bowl, blend together dry ingredients. Stir in yeast mixture to dry ingredient mixture. Add oil and apple cider vinegar. Mix well.
Grease and flour the pizza pan (just like you grease and flour a cake pan). Pat down dough on pan - sprinkle top of dough with flour so dough doesn't stick to your hands as you're shaping pizza. Bake plain un-topped crust for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and add toppings.
Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
Tip: I put plastic wrap over dough and then roll out with small rolling pin (on pan) to avoid sticky dough.
Daughter, Camryn diagnosed with diabetes 3/06
diagnosed with celiac (blood test and biosy confirmed) 5/06

#22 NWLAX36Mom

NWLAX36Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:04 AM

I use the same recipe as Fiddle Faddle except I just use regular milk. My whole family likes it.

#23 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:03 AM

Hi Fiddle-Faddle

Do you think your crust recipe would work for calzones 0r stromboli????
I got a craving for a stromboli........

thanks

mamaw

#24 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:07 AM

The Whole foods gluten free bakery crust is great. Also glutino frozen pizzas are great!!

#25 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:21 AM

Hi Fiddle-Faddle

Do you think your crust recipe would work for calzones 0r stromboli????
I got a craving for a stromboli........
thanks

mamaw

You're giving me cravings now!!!! I'm gonna try it as calzones next time--I'll let you know if it works? (I don't see why it wouldn't.)

#26 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:47 PM

Carol Fenster's pizza crust is the best...it is not time consuming at all. I have made both the yeast and yeast free versions in her "Special Diet Solutions" cookbook.

I'll tell you how easy it is...the other day the baby was screaming, playing, and "right up under me" with every step I took. Well, I made her recipe and didn't measure anything! I dumped what "looked about right" into my mixer then slapped it on a pie pan. Whamo!...pizza.

I've done this two more times since then. Don't get me wrong, when the hubby is home, I carefully measure everything. But when it's me vs. my one year old...time is of the essense.

Amazingly, all three times I had to do this "rush method" the pizza crust was still delicious. I have to add that I make this pizza crust a lot!...so, I've got the ingredients memorized.

I also add parmasean cheese to the crust mixture...adds a nice flavor!

The best premade pizza crusts I've tried are made by Kinnikinnick and Ener-G. :)

Happy shopping or baking! -Julie
Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"
(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

#27 hannahsue01

hannahsue01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

STASHU'S AND SON'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had quite a few pizza crusts from resturaunts and home made and packaged. Havn't found anything yet that beats it. Even our non celiac friends and family love it!!! A local guy from here makes it and sells it at HyVee. He also makes the pizza's and calzones...gluten-free of course....in his pizza house. I have had the kininakanik frozen pizza crusts and they are good but this crust is more like what I remember "real" pizza to be.
Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

#28 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

I think Don Pepino's might be an east coast thing or even less widespread, because Don Pepino himself lives in New Jersey. My husband (soon to be ex-husband, woohoo!) met him once in Princeton, where he presented him with a can of sauce. It is really good sauce, except for all the tomato seeds. Nice flavor, too much crunch.

Our sauce (and we like lots of sauce, and thick): spread the crust with tomato puree, sprinkle on garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. That's it. Add the cheese for the last 4-5 minutes of baking if you don't want it to brown.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#29 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

Yea, I found Don Pepino's pizza sauce in a Giant Eagle in Seven Fields.....

A ? for Hannahsue01:::: are you saying sashu&sons have great crusts? Where to do buy them from if so?Or do you have the recipe?

mamaw

#30 zansu

zansu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

I like the Gillian's frozen pizza dough that I get at WHole foods. I roll it out a little thinner than they say and I use a pizza stone, comes out GREAT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: