9 replies to this topic

#1 Samy

Samy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:09 AM

Hi, I was diagnosed with celiac disease back in July (on my 20th birthday no less) and am still pretty new to the gluten free world. Anyway, my question is, are fevers common reactions in Celiac disease? Since about September, I've frequently been getting low fevers (generally no higher than 100.5) that usually last just a few days. I'm only getting worried now because I've had a fever for almost 2 weeks. It goes down when I take Tylenol, but comes back within a few hours. I didn't even think to realize how often I've been getting fevers until this last one that won't end. My normal body temperature is lower than normal, between 96-97, so even though my fevers are generally pretty low, they feel worse to me.

Anyone else experience something similar? I'm always exhausted with a fever, something I don't need to be with celiac disease and chronic headaches (which my doctor thinks is also celiac disease related) making me tired enough as it is. I usually only get fevers 2-3 times a year with cold/flu. I am going to call my doctor today.

thanks
Samantha

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:22 AM

Fever is unusual but it was one of my symptoms. I ran fevers up to 105 when I first got really sick. I ran fevers over 100 daily for 10 weeks. The doctors though it was lymphoma.

If you've been casual about the diet, it's time to get serious because you're getting sicker. If you have been strict about the diet, it's probably something else and you need to see your doctor.

richard

#3 Samy

Samy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:33 AM

Thanks. I've been strict with my diet, haven't purposely eaten gluten in months and read every label carefully. There is always the chance for cross contamination, I live in a house with 6 other people and I'm the only Celiac. Though my family is usually good about keeping their gluten foods away from my gluten-free foods.

Guess I'll just have to see what the doctor says, it would be nice to not have to add anything to the list of what's "wrong" with me.

Samantha

#4 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:39 PM

Samy,
Would you be so kind to post what your doctors response is? I myself have recently been running a few low grade temps.
Thanks!
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

#5 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:28 AM

I have NOT been formerly diagnosed with celiac disease, however, I have been running a low-grade fever on-and-off for years. It actually got worse after I went gluten-free, my doc(s) has never figured out what it was. I think I have discovered that when I drink wine, I run a fever - I cannot have vinegar and wine is so close. I have just given up the wine and am finally feeling better.

It could be anything you are eating - a detailed food diary that includes my symptoms and what I think they were tied to really helped eliminate almost everything I was having problems with. The wine was the last to go and I feel so much better! No longer totally exhausted due to the fever really helps.

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#6 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:46 AM

Well, i went gluten-free in July this year. But i have had exactly 3 fevers last year and i was not sick other than the fevers. No flu, nothing. I never figured out, where the fever came from. But it never happened again.

Would be nice to hear, what causes yours though. Maybe mine was the same...

Lots of greetings, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#7 LynnR

LynnR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:48 AM

I also have gotten the low-grade fevers. I am just starting with a good doctor so I am hoping in time, all my questions will be answered.

I usually have gotten them when I got more runned down or I pushed myself too much. But I also get them when the weather changes - mostly warm to cool. I also sit near a heater at times b/c I am so cold that I can't get warmed up no matter what I do.
~Lynn
Negative Biopsy 11/00
Blood Work 11/16/04 - Still Waiting for Results
gluten-free since 11/10/04

#8 Jacer69

Jacer69

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:33 PM

Yes a fever is common, your body is having a reaction to gluten, and in other words it is triggering an immune response. Your body treats gluten as a foreign body, or a virus. The fever is the body fighting with the gluten. J

#9 Kimberly

Kimberly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 08:22 PM

I have also been running a low grade fever off and on for awhile...I was diagnosed with DH about 18 months ago and celiac disease in September. I developed both during my second pregnancy and went into the hospital to deliver my baby with a fever and as of this week I am still running one....I would love to know what you find out...I have fought this for 20 months now...I can't even lose my weight from being pregnant :( I was always so thin before now I am about 20lbs heavier than usual.
I stick to a gluten-free diet ...if I eat something it is by accident. This is the hardest thing I have ever done.... Goodluck with finding out about your fever......
May God Bless!!!

#10 red345

red345

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:53 PM

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: