This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dating

Rikki Tikki

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

celiac3270-If it was only the eating thing I could get over that but the fact that he forgets about it all the time...I don't want to explain it anymore to him...he should know by now. He laughs about celiac ...hes the kind of guy who says just have a little gluten while your out with me <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
angel-jd1 Community Regular

I was recently seeing a guy and we got along really well, had tons of fun etc etc.

He looked at me one day and goes "I just don't know if I could have kids with a person with celiac" like I had AIDS or something. geesh. Needless to say he got kicked to the curb pretty quickly!! <_< There was no way I wanted to have kids with someone who thought it was THAT big of a deal.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

celiac3270 Collaborator
celiac3270, pay close attention to this thread, it will come in handy in a few years.

Okay :D...I'll start reading from page one.

celiac3270-If it was only the eating thing I could get over that but the fact that he forgets about it all the time...I don't want to explain it anymore to him...he should know by now. He laughs about celiac ...hes the kind of guy who says just have a little gluten while your out with me  <_<

I see.....yea, it really annoys me (in general) when people think it's funny and laugh about celiac disease or grill me (no pun intended :P ) about what I can't eat and then say "Well, what can you eat then?"

celiac3270 Collaborator
I was recently seeing a guy and we got along really well, had tons of fun etc etc.

He looked at me one day and goes "I just don't know if I could have kids with a person with celiac" like I had AIDS or something. geesh. Needless to say he got kicked to the curb pretty quickly!! <_< There was no way I wanted to have kids with someone who thought it was THAT big of a deal.

True...there are two sides to it, I guess. The people who think it's no big deal (which is obviously bad) and then the people who think it's contagious or something. But I guess someone could think it's a big deal in a sensitive way, too... ;)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I would have been like well I don't know if I could ever have kids with a jerk that is crazy <_< . wow I don't blame you one bit for kicking him to the curb he deserved it...how do people think they can treat us like this? o well there are some really good guys out there and this will not be an issue for anyone who really cares :D

angel-jd1 Community Regular

The part that cracked me up was that he didn't get why I was mad that he said what he said!! :o Like you said Kaiti there are people out there for us who do not care about this silly little eating thing. Just takes time to find them :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

while I discovered I was gluten (and dairy) intolerant AFTER I got married, I find this sort of reaction just fascinating. you can say that existing friends are a different situation - they're already your friend, but we see here that doesn't always mean they'll listen/understand/adapt to you being on the diet. but even my coworkers have caught on quickly and well. at a recent gathering at one coworkers house, I asked what was in the guacamole, and he listed the ingredients, and when he came to the salsa, automatically said "the jar's in the fridge if you want to check the ingredients". they're pretty much all like that, and though I get a few "what can you have?" questions, it's from people not understanding - and knowing they don't understand - what's in the food they eat. I can't fathom someone being that clueless, but ... I suppose it happens to all of us in some subject or another.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I think AIDS, celiac anybody that thinks that any disease is worth ending a relationship should be kicked to the curb. I lost my brother to AIDS, and remember well how people reacted. I wouldn't have room for anyone like that in my life <_<

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I suspected my ex has celiac...of course he wont get tested ...all the symptoms...anyway I was contacted recently by him and he says he thinks I gave him celiac :lol::lol: ...he has DH and when he eats certain things he gets itchy and feeling bad....and now he wants to maybe file a lawsuit against me for giving it to him if he has it. :lol::lol: Hes going to look so stupid if he does that.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Oh my gosh Kaiti, I can't believe that. What an idiot. I hope you don't feel bad about that. It's more telling on what kind of person he is. I think if he sues you we should all show up at Court! Maybe we can tell him you mass infected all of us!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I don't feel bad about it...he knew about celiac when i went out with him, he had the problems before, he has just been in denial. I thought it was a joke at first...I couldn't refrain from laughing. He won't get tested so he doesn't even know if he has it...but digestive problems run in his family...i think he just thinks he has it and wants to blame me for dumping him...i just thought everyone here would get a kick out of that :lol:

celiac3270 Collaborator

Ha! That's the dumbest thing I ever heard...I'd love to see him try to back that up in a courtroom :lol: But yes, we did get a kick out of that :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yeah I'll keep everyone updated with what happens...can you believe how uniformed some people can be? I hope he researches it or gets some legal advice before going before a judge and looking like a butt :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
pmrowley Newbie

Kaiti,

Of course, you could always tell him, if he thinks he 'caught' celiac from you, he's lucky he didn't 'catch' being a girl from you too!! :P

Gods, the idiocy of people sometimes. My guess is he's not a Bio student...

Cheers,

-Patrick

westiepaws Apprentice

Well, as long as it doesn't cost Kaiti any money, I'm all for the ex-boyfriend looking like a butt! :lol::lol: What a dingbat he must be! Kaiti, you and Angel should put together a book of funny things people say to celiacs when they are dating them.

On a serious note, I am not surprised. My late husband was ill with cancer and died after 3 years (in hindsight, I think he was an undiagnosed celiac). I learned from that that some people walk away, some people stick with you, when the going gets tough. I've never once missed or regretted a person who walked away then -- and you won't either, in the here and now :lol::lol::lol: !

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I was contacted recently by him and he says he thinks I gave him celiac laugh.gif laugh.gif ...and now he wants to maybe file a lawsuit against me for giving it to him if he has it. laugh.gif laugh.gif

:blink::o:lol:

I'd like to see him try!

I can't believe that! I find it hard to think that he is serious. I mean do some research before you go assussing and threatening inocent people.

ianm Apprentice

Westiepaws, when something bad happens you find out who your friends are real quick. To my surprise it was not the ones I thought it would be. The ones who run the other way are usually just parasites anyway so you are better off without them.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
He looked at me one day and goes "I just don't know if I could have kids with a person with celiac" like I had AIDS or something.

That is horrible...

People need to grow up and stop being so selfish, there is more to life than food.

ianm Apprentice

What I have found is that some people just cannot accept the fact that a food billions of people eat everyday could make someone sick. Also many people have no clue as to where their food comes from. That is why they think that a slice of Wonder Bread is okay because it is not whole wheat. In the case of Wonder Bread it is doubtful it has any natural ingrediants to begin with. :wacko:

Some people just revel in their ignorance and stupidity and there is nothing you can say or to do snap them out of it. Well there is but that would result in a felony conviction. :lol:

tarnalberry Community Regular

I think it's REALLY sad that people don't even know where their food comes from. Being so clueless about what sustains your life... And NOT CARING! I can understand ignorance - we're all ignorant about some things - but willfully maintaining that ignorance in an area that is so important to your health (whether you're celiac or not)... I don't get it. I suppose I shouldn't be so harsh, I'm sure there are people well versed on things I'm not that think the same thing with reference to their topic...

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

I posted this in one other spot -- Singles W/celiac Website To Meet Other Singles, Celiac Single's to meet and find LOVE. I think it's under Celiac Disease - Coping With

Okay this idea came about from another posting about those of us kissing people :wub: who are NOT GLUTEN FREE...

I would love to know if there is, or should we some how start, a Gluten Free web site for SINGLE people (of all ages) to meet, date and find love :wub: ???

There are so so many of us [sINGLE] people searching for love with this dreadful illness... How many millions of people with celiac, IBS, and other digestive illnesses that would like to find a :wub: mate with or understand our health problems???

It would make life easier, for us, to live with, cope, or explain to insensitive people about our incureable illness. They say things to us like, "...oh just get over yourself... food doesn't make you sick!" - "Your no fun to go out with, we can't ever go where I want to eat!" "Your a problem, your life revolves around food." or "Here have a bite of my cake, it won't hurt you!" How about this one "Kiss me! I only had a 6-pack of beers!" I'm sure all you single's with celiac have come across it too.

I welcome your ideas and thoughts about creating a website and/or finding love :wub: with other Celiac's.

• 3 months later...
sarah513 Rookie
celiac3270-If it was only the eating thing I could get over that but the fact that he forgets about it all the time...I don't want to explain it anymore to him...he should know by now. He laughs about celiac ...hes the kind of guy who says just have a little gluten while your out with me <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, thank you!! I was on a first date with a friend the other day-- pre-diagnosis I was really into Belgian beer, and we went to a bar that specialized in good beer and wine. She kept telling me to just try a taste of this delicious beer! It was killing me. Later we went out with my best friend and he laid down the law: "We do not say nice things about beer in front of Sarah! It hurts her! Beer is TERRIBLE." Aww.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Just out of interest: do you guys (sorry, and girls...I meant it as a general term) usually date in food situations or do you avoid, say, dinner, and go to a movie instead, etc.?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I try to avoid the food situations and do something else.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Sorry to be a bother, but could you name some other alternatives/examples... just interested as to what you do about this.

Archived