This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dating

Rikki Tikki

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Starbucks

Movies

TCBY for ice cream

Mini Golf

Parks

Mall

Sports(competing against each other...tennis, basketball,etc)

Go Karts

Arcade

There are tons of things to to besides go out to eat. I actually preferred stuff like going to Starbucks over eating out on dates before I had celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pixiegirl Enthusiast

Arcades are fun if you can find them... here in New England we still have a lot of old fashion ones that have Skeeball and such, tons of fun. My BF and I love day hiking and of course we carry food for that so its easy. We picnic, that way you can enjoy food and wine and know its perfectly ok to eat (needless to say you pack the basket). I love kayaking, wallking on the beach, an art fair. I've often ended these types of dates with coffee or a glass of wine so they seem like any other date and not focused around what I can and can't eat.

Susan

celiac3270 Collaborator

Thank you! :P

tarnalberry Community Regular
Just out of interest: do you guys (sorry, and girls...I meant it as a general term) usually date in food situations or do you avoid, say, dinner, and go to a movie instead, etc.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A couple "low-food" ideas:

* bowling

* mini-golf/driving range

* concert

* hiking

* picnic (ok, food related, but you bring your own food)

* museums/art shows

* at-home video night

* canoeing/kayaking

* something crafty (painting, pottery, etc...)

• 3 years later...
peter99ff Rookie

I hate to push a site on here. But glutenfreedate.com i just found today lets flood it please!!!!!!!!! We need it

melmak5 Contributor

BOWLING RULES (I had my last birthday party at a bowling alley. I called ahead and they let me bring in gluten free cupcakes!)

Movies - I think its fun to "sneak in" my own snacks

Making dinner together - I really like to cook, so I realize this is not everyone's thing and a bit harder for a first date

Seeing a band/show - this is fun because there is down time between sets and you have something to talk about, the music

Doing a "touristy" thing in your own town/city - something you wouldn't normally do, but can be fun (I had a friend who did a duck tour as a joke, but had a good time)

Thrift store shopping - I think this is oodles of fun (can work with yard sales)

Apple picking! (or other seasonal thing outdoors - like a fair or carnival)

Pumpkin Carving!

I have a handful of places that I do feel comfortable eating at, so if it is a food thing, I suggest a place that is on my "turf"

(mostly mexican or thai)

Coffee or tea or a cafe setting can work - as others have suggested. (if it is a place with magazines, sometimes its fun to look at them together and use the covers to start conversations

• 2 years later...
RiceCube Newbie

I want to date a celiac girl now that I'm gluten-free. Is it wrong to narrow my search by allergy?

On another note, I think it would be cool to have a gluten-free meet-up spot, restaurant or club. Maybe I'll be the one to start it. Just to cut-out all the extra-work when you go out to eat and drink, a dedicated gluten-free establishment.

Soon to come.

/\//\\///\\\RiceCube

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
CarbQueen Newbie

I want to date a celiac girl now that I'm gluten-free. Is it wrong to narrow my search by allergy?

On another note, I think it would be cool to have a gluten-free meet-up spot, restaurant or club. Maybe I'll be the one to start it. Just to cut-out all the extra-work when you go out to eat and drink, a dedicated gluten-free establishment.

Soon to come.

/\//\\///\\\RiceCube

I think it would be cool to have a gluten-free establishment.

codetalker Contributor

Is it wrong to narrow my search by allergy?

I think it makes a lot of sense.

codetalker Contributor

I think it would be cool to have a gluten-free establishment.

I definitely second that.

A side benefit would be that it would be an object lesson for non-celiac friends and family. A while back, the owner of a local gluten-free bakery addressed our support group. He mentioned that his customers not only included celiacs but also some of the top hotels in Phila. He sold his baked goods to them not as "gluten-free" baked goods but as "regular" baked goods. Hotel patrons were eating gluten-free breads, cakes and pastries and never knew the difference.

With a little effort, gluten-free food can be as good as if not better than regular fare. Consider turkey stuffing. If you forgo the packaged stuffing mix, you can try some really mouthwatering stuffing recipes that don't require wheat bread. Not only will you have gluten-free stuffing but you would probably get rave reviews.

Archived