This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tubal Ligation?

Glutenfreefamily

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

Has anyone else had this done? What was your experiences with it? I might be having an ovarian cyst removed in December and I have thought about having this done at the same time. Would you do it over again? Have you had any problems because of it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2kids4me Contributor

I had it done, no complications - and I have type 1 diabetes. It does not prevent ovulation and therefore wont prevent cysts from forming in the future. It just scars the tubes shut so eggs cannot bet fertilized.

I had it done laparoscopically about 10 yrs ago.

Sandy

Byte Me Apprentice

I had it done 13 years ago. If there was only one thing in my life I could go back and change, it would be choosing not to have that done. For years afterward I had pain so bad (I'm guessing it was during ovulation, because it wasn't during my time of the month, but about 10-12 days before) that I would be on the floor crying, nauseated, about to pass out. I also never had a problem with my weight until having my tubes tied, I have ever since. I am also convinced that it messed around with my hormonal balance somehow. My skin is oiler and more prone to breakouts since having that done than it was in my teen years, my hair on my head is thinner, and my body hair is thicker. <_< It is so extreme that I have ended up taking birth control pills to minimize the problems! A doctor will insist that having your tubes tied will have no such effect, but if you google and read other people's experiences, it should leave no doubt that sometimes, it certainly can.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I had it done - no complications...... I had to make sure I didn't get pregnant again! The next pregnancy would probably have been triplets!!!!! I wanted to make sure they sliced, diced, chopped, anything else they could do to make sure that didn't happen! LOL!

There was no difference in my periods or anything - as they have always been very heavy. But last year, my doctor put in the Mirena IUD, and I hardly have had a period since..... It's heaven!

Karen

nikki-uk Enthusiast

I had it done (keyhole surgery) nearly ten years ago and have had no complications or problems :)

kevieb Newbie

i had a tubal done laparoscopically two years ago. the doc told me another pregnacny could kill me. i had heavy periods before my tubal. they got heavier after my tubal and i got really anemic. i ended up having a hysterectomy a year after my tubal. i think it might be normal to have heavy periods for awhile after a tubal----and that they can possibly lessen up again over time---but i was over 40 and the birth control pill they tried (after the tubal) tubal did not work to stop the bleeding. turns out i had adenomyosis. i should have had the hysterctomy first and the tubal second.LOL!!!!!

Ridgewalker Contributor
I had it done - no complications...... I had to make sure I didn't get pregnant again! The next pregnancy would probably have been triplets!!!!! I wanted to make sure they sliced, diced, chopped, anything else they could do to make sure that didn't happen! LOL!

There was no difference in my periods or anything - as they have always been very heavy. But last year, my doctor put in the Mirena IUD, and I hardly have had a period since..... It's heaven!

Karen

Is the IUD just to control your heavy periods then?

I have the Mirena IUD as well. Got it about 4 years ago and haven't had to think about it since. My periods gradually got lighter and lighter, until they faded completely away about a year after I had the IUD placed.

I know you didn't ask about IUDs, Glutenfreefamily, but as long as we're on the topic-- IUDs are more effective than the pill, and 100% easily removed. Just FYI. (I love mine.)

-Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kevieb Newbie

i had an IUD once, and i LOVED it. it was supposed to last me 8 years---and ten months later i was pregnant--and it was a tubal pregnancy. i think that what happened to me was the exception, not the rule. i would have gotten another IUD before tying my tubes if i hadn't been "thrown off the eligibility list" so to speak. i would still recomment an IUD to someone else. also, even though i think my tubal caused me to be anemic----i don't think i had the "tubal syndrome" or what-ever it is that people keep blaming on tubal ligations----though i don't doubt that some people really have some problems. my fibromyalgia got worse after my hysterectomy, but i'm still glad i had it done----i love not having a period every month!!!!!!

lmvrbaby Newbie

Hi All,

I had this done just about 14 years ago. Done laparoscopy and had no problems. This would be something different for every one that has it done. I had it done as I had 4 boys and did not want any more children. Others have it done for various reasons. The only way to go about it is talk it over with your family and spouse and do what you think is right. Good luck in whatever your decision is.

Thanks so much everyone for your experiences with it. I know we are done with our family we just haven't decided on which way to end the fertility. I know that my insurance does not cover iud's and Im not sure of the expense of them. They do cover tubal ligation or a vasectomy. My husband is willing to do the vasectomy if I dont want to have a tubal. I haven't taken bcp for years we have just been using condoms which is getting really old <_< The periods dont bother me it would just be nice not to be worried about getting pregnant.

Byteme- Im sorry you have had such a bad experience with it.

Jestgar Rising Star
I know that my insurance does not cover iud's and

WHAT!!!

You insurance will cover major surgery but not a simple piece of plastic!!

ohh.... If you like to fight, I'd be taking on this one...

WHAT!!!

You insurance will cover major surgery but not a simple piece of plastic!!

ohh.... If you like to fight, I'd be taking on this one...

They wouldn't even cover a diaphram or the fitting of it. It would have come out to $250. It's crazy isn't it? I get charged $10 to go to an urgent care or the dr and I have no copay on emergency visits.

Renth Newbie

see this is why I love insurance companies, they won't cover contraception devices, instead they'd just rather have the expense of covering another person, but then again the addition of another person means another premium payment to them!

see this is why I love insurance companies, they won't cover contraception devices, instead they'd just rather have the expense of covering another person, but then again the addition of another person means another premium payment to them!

Its a joke isnt it? We are lucky in that our premium doesnt go up if we had more kids. Its a family rate when you have one child and stays the same even if you have 10 more. We are also lucky that our weekly premium is only $24 but Im still irked by their nutty rules.

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Is the IUD just to control your heavy periods then?

I have the Mirena IUD as well. Got it about 4 years ago and haven't had to think about it since. My periods gradually got lighter and lighter, until they faded completely away about a year after I had the IUD placed.

I know you didn't ask about IUDs, Glutenfreefamily, but as long as we're on the topic-- IUDs are more effective than the pill, and 100% easily removed. Just FYI. (I love mine.)

-Sarah

Yep. That's exactly why they suggested I get one. With my chronic anemia, my heavy periods were just making it worse, and since the Mirena emits low doses of hormone directly into the uterus, thereby drastically reducing your period, they figured it was a good way to keep some blood in me! LOL!

My insurance covered it 100%.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks so much everyone for your experiences with it. I know we are done with our family we just haven't decided on which way to end the fertility. I know that my insurance does not cover iud's and Im not sure of the expense of them. They do cover tubal ligation or a vasectomy. My husband is willing to do the vasectomy if I dont want to have a tubal. I haven't taken bcp for years we have just been using condoms which is getting really old <_< The periods dont bother me it would just be nice not to be worried about getting pregnant.

Byteme- Im sorry you have had such a bad experience with it.

When we decided to stop adding to our family we chose to have my DH have the vasectomoy after talking to both of our doctors. It is less invasive than a tubal and has less chance of adverse outcomes. A tubal is an invasive procedure done under full anesthesia, that alone increase the risk level. In addition for folks with undiagnosed celiac or gluten intolerance the bodies reaction to the surgery can be an excaberation of celiac symptoms. This sounds like what happened to at least one previous poster with the hair loss and other problems that she reported cropping up after the surgery.

I also have had a tubal, I had no ill effects from the tubal itself physically but it was one of the saddest days of my life. They thought my problems were hormonal in nature because they were most prominent at the time of my period and got much worse with each child. I did have my celiac symptoms escalate after the surgery but of course this would not have happened if I had been gluten-free. Heck within 5 years of the tubal celiac took away my fertility anyway through a very early menopause. It took another 5 years after that to get diagnosed and by then it was too late to turn everything back on.

Thanks Ravenwoodglass I think we are going to go the vasectomy route. I read this morning by doing that procedure it reduces his risk of cancer and a tubal increases mine. I have enough health problems as it is without possibly adding to the mix. I am already at an increased risk of ovarian cancer due to pcos. The reason why our family is done is my health problems, even our dr's are really suggesting it.

I didn't know the iud emits hormones, that means that wouldn't work for us since I cannot take hormones unless absolutely necessary.

whitball Explorer

I would advise you to make sure that you need to have the surgery. Any abdominal surgery increases the chances of having problems with scar tissue. I have had six abdominal surgeries. 3 c-sections, 2 laparoscopies and 1 hysterectomy. All were necessary, but I now live with horrible pelvic pain and I know that this is cause by scar tissue. I have tried to avoid any further surgery to remove the scar tissue and probably the end result will be an obstruction of the bowel or intestine. Make sure that you are educated on any procedure. My first surgery to remove an ovarian cyst resulted in my needing an emergency surgery to stop a bleeder, and the top hole was so large that when I vomited after the surgery, the top lining of my abdominal cavity came out of the hole. I lost 3 pints of blood and required emergency surgery to repair the damage. You must investigate your doctor and ask their amount of experience, the number of times they have been sued for malpractice. Is your surgery necessary?

Thanks :) Im delaying my surgery as long as I can in hopes I dont need it. Its been there already for a year and hasn't shrunk yet even with birth control pills. Its so large though that they are concerned about torsion.

She has done some work on me before, my sister,and my mom. Uterine and ovarian problems run in our family. I have loads of scar tissue down there already. I hope I wont have to get this done.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I would advise you to make sure that you need to have the surgery. Any abdominal surgery increases the chances of having problems with scar tissue. I have had six abdominal surgeries. 3 c-sections, 2 laparoscopies and 1 hysterectomy. All were necessary, but I now live with horrible pelvic pain and I know that this is cause by scar tissue. I have tried to avoid any further surgery to remove the scar tissue and probably the end result will be an obstruction of the bowel or intestine. Make sure that you are educated on any procedure. My first surgery to remove an ovarian cyst resulted in my needing an emergency surgery to stop a bleeder, and the top hole was so large that when I vomited after the surgery, the top lining of my abdominal cavity came out of the hole. I lost 3 pints of blood and required emergency surgery to repair the damage. You must investigate your doctor and ask their amount of experience, the number of times they have been sued for malpractice. Is your surgery necessary?

Hi, just a quick note. I was found when I had my tubes tied to have a great deal of scarring in my abdomen even though I had never had surgery. After I had healed from the surgery my doctor sent me to a PT who showed me how to do gentle stretching excercises that helped to free things up, sorry I really don't know the technical term for it. I don't know if they could help in your case but they did help relieve the pain and tightness for me so I thought I would mention just in case.

Archived