This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Carrabba's Disclaimer

mommyagain

mommyagain Explorer

Carrabba's used to be one of our absolute favorite restuarants, until I went gluten-free. Since then I've been really scared to eat out. So, when I heard that Carrabba's had a gluten-free menu, I had to check it out. A lot of the stuff looked pretty yummy, but the disclaimer worries me. I understand that they are just trying to cover their a$$es, but the way it's written it sounds like someone else came up with a list of gluten-free foods and they just post it on their website to be helpful.

So, any good experiences with Carrabba's? Bad? Did you feel like they took you seriously when you placed your order?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I always order the pollo rosa maria (no glaze) and a cesar salad (dry, dressing on side, no croutons).

I have never had a problem. You have to make sure they don't brush the chicken with the glaze - impress that upon your waiter!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I believe many members on this board go to Carrabba's frequently. I am not too close to one or I would go try it out. They are an Outback chain, and I have always had good service at Outback.

Gemini Experienced
Carrabba's used to be one of our absolute favorite restuarants, until I went gluten-free. Since then I've been really scared to eat out. So, when I heard that Carrabba's had a gluten-free menu, I had to check it out. A lot of the stuff looked pretty yummy, but the disclaimer worries me. I understand that they are just trying to cover their a$$es, but the way it's written it sounds like someone else came up with a list of gluten-free foods and they just post it on their website to be helpful.

So, any good experiences with Carrabba's? Bad? Did you feel like they took you seriously when you placed your order?

Thanks.

I know that different restaurants can be inconsistent with their knowledge but my experience at Carraba's was excellent. Those disclaimers are for legal protection only.....if they were that worried about glutening people on a regular basis, they wouldn't offer a gluten-free menu.

Carraba's is owned by Outback's and the reason there is a gluten-free menu at both is because there are Celiac's in the family. My experience was very satisfactory and they even knew to mix the salad in a seperate bowl. They are one of a few chain restaurants that have gluten-free sauces for their dishes and they are delicious. I usually don't go to chain restaurants, even with a gluten-free menu, because most employee's are not knowledgeable enough about food to know what they are doing but Carraba's outdid themselves.

hez Enthusiast

I have not been to our local Carrabba's because I know of some fellow celiacs that have had a bad experience. I am sure there are good ones out there. It seems so dependent on how good of a manager is there. Maybe ask around to see if anyone has had a good experience at that location. No matter where you go eating out is always a risk. So as a celiac I do my best to limit the risk.

Hez

mandasmom Rookie
I have not been to our local Carrabba's because I know of some fellow celiacs that have had a bad experience. I am sure there are good ones out there. It seems so dependent on how good of a manager is there. Maybe ask around to see if anyone has had a good experience at that location. No matter where you go eating out is always a risk. So as a celiac I do my best to limit the risk.

Hez

The shrimp scampi is fabulous!! We live nearby and eat there often!! Never a problem

mommyagain Explorer

Well, I surprised my hubby last night by saying that I wanted to go to Carrabba's! He had figured that since it was an Italian place, it would be totally off limits.

So, we went and I got the gluten-free Chicken Trio, broccoli, and a salad. I forgot to mention to the waiter to have them mix it in a clean bowl. When the waiter brought it, he said, "You didn't mention that you wanted this mixed in a clean bowl, but that's how we always do the gluten-free salads". WOW!!! I was impressed.

I have felt fine all day, and had leftovers for lunch today! Yummy!

My hubby had Linguine with clam sauce, which he said was fantastic. I wasn't too jealous because I don't particularly like clam sauce :D I am so glad that we are finding nice places that both of us can have a tasty meal :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

I got glutenned the last time I went, but I called the manager and he has offered to cook my meal for me so that I can eat there again. That was May and I haven't been back yet though. I'm too sensitive to take the chance.

A freind of mine eats there often, but even she says that she keeps on eye on her food, just to be safe.

Actually anytime you eat somewhere that is not 100% gluten-free you run the risk of being glutenned. So depending on how sensitive you are, you may or may not have a problem with it.

tiffjake Enthusiast

I love their chicken marsala with mashed potatoes! Yum! And that John-something dessert with the nuts!!!

lovegrov Collaborator

"A lot of the stuff looked pretty yummy, but the disclaimer worries me. I understand that they are just trying to cover their a$$es, but the way it's written it sounds like someone else came up with a list of gluten-free foods and they just post it on their website to be helpful."

Ah, but the "someone else" who came up with the list is Cynthia Kupper of GIG, the same person who did the Outback and Bonefish Grill gluten-free menus. I'd rather have her doing it than the restaurant.

richard

mommyagain Explorer
Ah, but the "someone else" who came up with the list is Cynthia Kupper of GIG, the same person who did the Outback and Bonefish Grill gluten-free menus. I'd rather have her doing it than the restaurant.

richard

See, I haven't been in the celiac world long enough to know who's legit and who's not... For me, the final answer was that I ate there, everyone was extremely helpful/knowledgable, and I DID NOT GET SICK!!! :D

Kitty Cat Newbie
I believe many members on this board go to Carrabba's frequently. I am not too close to one or I would go try it out. They are an Outback chain, and I have always had good service at Outback.

I didn't know they were linked to Outback. I love Outback it is one of the few dinner places I go to.

BTW-I'm new and just reading some post so HI everyone.

Egaeus Newbie

I'm not a fan of Outback's restaurants because of the company's politics, but sometimes you have to make exceptions so that you can enjoy a night out with your friends, or can eat safely in a strange city (as is often the case with me). As I can walk down the flour aisle without getting sick, I try to eat places that attempt to provide food that I can safely eat, and am rewarded for it by not being sick.

However, for those who do react to even extremely small amounts of gluten, it is probably advisable for you to stay home. Watch the Food Network (especially Good Eats) and learn about cooking so that you can take the recipes that appeal to you, and adapt them (if necessary) to be gluten-free. Heck, Alton Brown recently had a substitution show where he made gluten-free cookies, and Emeril made a Flourless (and gluten-free) Chocolate Cake that was amazing by all accounts I've seen (though I haven't tried it yet). Get to enjoy cooking, and you won't mind not eating out.

wowzer Community Regular

I just went there for my 33rd anniversary. The waiter assured me that everything that ordered would be marked gluten free. They even brought my salad wearing plastic gloves. It's the best service I've had from a restaurant since going gluten free.

• 2 years later...
JerseySue Newbie

Hez

Hopefully I'm doing this correctly, my first post.

My husband and I decided to eat at Carrabba's on the last night of our week in Vegas due to multiply sites, and posts, about their gluten free menu. I know I should of left when I read the disclaimer that they don't have a separate grill for gluten free, I was ill before we left the parking lot.

I don't understand how a resturant can make the claim, gluten free, when food is prepared in the same location?

Good news, we did eat at PF Changs, Outback (same company, no disclaimer) and Chipotle Grill with no problem.

Sue

Frances03 Enthusiast

As for Outback, I have been to 2 different ones this week because we are traveling. I didn't have a good experience at either one. One was in Wyoming and one was in Castle Rock, CO. As I posted elsewhere on this board, the one in Wyoming brought me a salad made in it's own bowl and super safe, and halfway thru it I found a crouton. Then the one in Castle Rock made no attempt to make me feel like they were being careful with my meal. I skipped the salad altogether and got chicken and ribs with vegetables. They brought my food out on same tray with rest of the tables food, and some of their plates were hanging over mine, with french fries all over, and that didn't make me feel very good. Then I ordered the gluten free brownie dessert and they brought out just ice cream with chocolate syrup. WHen I asked where is the brownie, the waiter told me they don't have the gluten free brownie anymore he didn't think. I said it's on the menu! He said I think they weren't sure if it was gluten free so we dont have it now. I went and asked the manager, and he said yes they still have it and he didn't know what the waiter was talking about. So, they brought me out the dessert with the brownie but I could tell they had just placed the original ice cream on top of it, so I didn't feel safe eating it. Unfortunately we will be eating at Outback tonight again, and then we'll be home and I'm not going out to eat any more.

Gemini Experienced

My husband and I decided to eat at Carrabba's on the last night of our week in Vegas due to multiply sites, and posts, about their gluten free menu. I know I should of left when I read the disclaimer that they don't have a separate grill for gluten free, I was ill before we left the parking lot.

I don't understand how a resturant can make the claim, gluten free, when food is prepared in the same location?

Good news, we did eat at PF Changs, Outback (same company, no disclaimer) and Chipotle Grill with no problem.

Sue

Carrabba's does a fabulous job of serving gluten-free food even though they do not have a dedicated grill. You do not need to have one if you cook the food in a clean pan or clean the grill well....which they must do or I would react. I am also a super sensitive Celiac and the smallest amounts I would feel. You do not have to have separate cooking area's to do this successfully, you just have to be diligent about prep. If they made that many Celiacs sick, they wouldn't be in business.

As far as Outback's are concerned, just because there is no disclaimer does not mean they don't run their kitchens the same way. Outback's does not have separate area's but are careful with prep so there is no difference. Disclaimers mean absolutely nothing, other than to legally protect the business from sue happy customers. It all boils down to diligence and care on the part of the restaurant when preparing a gluten-free meal and many do so successfully.

lovegrov Collaborator

Maybe there's no disclaimer at Outback, but I'm pretty certain there's no dedicated grill or prep area. OTH, I'm not certain what they grill that isn't gluten-free. I've found Chipotle to be very cooperative and done well there, but they also do not have any sort of dedicated prep area. In fact, other than some places that have dedicated fryers for fries, I know of very few places that have dedicated areas. Risotteria in New York City does for their gluten-free pizzas, but then they specifically cater to people with celiac.

richard

Archived