24 replies to this topic

#1 confused

confused

Just cause i cant have gluten doesnt mean im dying

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:29 PM

Does anyone else have an intolerance to onions. I know garlic affects me and now im wondering if onions do. Last night i made some guacamole with onions. Well right after I ate them my stomach cramped so bad, i could not move and then my feet started to tingle and my legs felt funny(like i do after gluten) but i laid in bed with the heating pad and i felt somewhat better when i woke up, which i dont feel better if i have been glutened. So could this be an onion intolerance. I also woke up with bad heart burn but now is better.

Does anyone else go threw this with onions.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free
on low carb/low sugar diet

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kevieb

kevieb

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

onions make me sick---sometimes just the smell of raw onions makes me sick. i am starting to think that garlic makes me sick, too. i hate this, because i love garlic and onions but i am learning to avoid them---especially fresh.

#3 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

I'm allergic to the onion family (garlic, onions, leeks and chives).
Gluten-free, Vegan

#4 covsooze

covsooze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:21 AM

If you are intolerant to them rather than actually allergic, you might try experimenting with cooking them. I'm definitely worse with raw onions. Onions that have been well cooked eg in the slow cooker, I am better with. It might be worth a try before you abandon them altogether!
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000
Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test
Nov 2005 positive blood tests
January 2006 dx by biopsy
gluten-free and dairy lite since then
I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism
Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

#5 confused

confused

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:14 AM

If you are intolerant to them rather than actually allergic, you might try experimenting with cooking them. I'm definitely worse with raw onions. Onions that have been well cooked eg in the slow cooker, I am better with. It might be worth a try before you abandon them altogether!

I was just thinking about that. When i made fajitas the other night the onions did not bug me cause they were cooked, but when i had them raw i was in major pain. Maybe i will experiment with it one more time, i love my onions and garlic and i hate that i will have to give both of them up.

paula

#6 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:14 AM

I'm allergic to onions but not garlic. Cooked or raw, onions will definitely make me sick..might just be that you're sensitive to them, the cooking experiment is a good idea...however it wasn't for me!! It's crazy how quickly you KNOW when there is onions in something too, my dad and I are onion radars, no one can slip it past us, not that they intentionally try but in case they forget.

#7 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:00 PM

Onions and garlic are very high in sulfur...same with eggs.

Foods high in sulfur are natural chelators of heavy metals such as mercury. Usually people who have problems with heavy metals will experience some reactions to these foods...as they move the metals around.

I had alot of problems with these foods but now that I'm under treatment I can eat eggs everyday and garlic and onions in small amounts are ok. The reactions are stronger if the garlic and onions are eaten raw.

In addition to being natural chelators they also have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Garlic is very effective in killing yeast and other bugs. That can also result in unpleasant symptoms.

If you have alot of intolerances and ongoing symptoms....it could be that these things might be contributing to that. The biggest source of mercury comes from amalgams....70-90% of the mercury burden in our bodies comes from the mercury vapor released from the fillings.

The symptoms you describe from eating the onions is what I used to experience. Its an indication of mercury being mobilized....toxins circulating and then resettling. It doesnt happen to me anymore because I'm taking things which bind with mobilized metals and removes them from the body before they can get redistributed.

If you continue having problems with those foods....definately avoid them.
Rachel

#8 confused

confused

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:08 PM

Onions and garlic are very high in sulfur...same with eggs.

Foods high in sulfur are natural chelators of heavy metals such as mercury. Usually people who have problems with heavy metals will experience some reactions to these foods...as they move the metals around.

I had alot of problems with these foods but now that I'm under treatment I can eat eggs everyday and garlic and onions in small amounts are ok. The reactions are stronger if the garlic and onions are eaten raw.

In addition to being natural chelators they also have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Garlic is very effective in killing yeast and other bugs. That can also result in unpleasant symptoms.

If you have alot of intolerances and ongoing symptoms....it could be that these things might be contributing to that. The biggest source of mercury comes from amalgams....70-90% of the mercury burden in our bodies comes from the mercury vapor released from the fillings.

The symptoms you describe from eating the onions is what I used to experience. Its an indication of mercury being mobilized....toxins circulating and then resettling. It doesnt happen to me anymore because I'm taking things which bind with mobilized metals and removes them from the body before they can get redistributed.

If you continue having problems with those foods....definately avoid them.

i can eat eggs with no problem tho, so could it still be that.

I do have alot of fillings, it kinda makes me wonder now.

I will have to look into this in a few days when i feel better, my kids brought me home the flu and i can barely function today.

paula

#9 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

It doesn't happen to me anymore because I'm taking things which bind with mobilized metals and removes them from the body before they can get redistributed.

Thank you, Rachel -- I never could figure out why onions started bothering me about 25 years ago -- your explanation makes perfect sense! What things are you taking? Are they available at health-food stores, or do they require a prescription? Do they remove all minerals from your body (as intravenous chelation therapy does), or just the heavy metals?

By the way, anyone who is sensitive to onions may also be bothered by the odorizer that's added to natural gas (which is what you actually smell when there's a gas leak). A week or so after the dentist packed a root-canal with amalgam, I was hit by a panic attack that just didn't go away. I chalked it up to stress, but noticed that it got worse whenever I ate onions. Seven years later, I had my house converted to all-electric (in hopes of helping my sinuses), and suddenly realized that the panic attack was over -- except when I ate onions. I had heard the gas odorizer referred to as "onion gas," so I phoned the chemist at the gas company. He told me that onions taste and smell like onions because they contain a group of closely-related chemicals, and "onion gas" is another member of that same chemical family (though he didn't know whether it actually occurs in onions).

I had all of my amalgam removed a couple of years after that (again, in hopes of helping my sinuses). Onions don't bother me nearly as much now, but I still can't eat them in large quantities or on a regular basis. I cook with lots of finely-chopped celery in place of onions, and a little celery seed in place of garlic -- they don't taste like onions or garlic, of course, but they perk up the dish in a similar way.

Even though eggs also contain sulfur, I've never noticed any "onion" problems from eating them.

Many hard-to-define health problems, some since childhood.
Diagnosed with spastic colon circa 1984.
My father also had many hard-to-define health problems, as did his brother.
His brother's daughter biopsy-diagnosed as celiac, June 2007.
My Prometheus Celiac Plus blood panel results (late November 2007) were **very** negative
---- except for one DQ8 gene.
Awaiting results of EnteroLab stool tests.
Meanwhile, have been gluten-free since 4 December 2007, and starting to feel better!

#10 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:41 AM

I was going to mention that both garlic and onions have anti-fungal properties. If you have a problem with candida, then they can make you feel bad.

Rachel's answer was more complete. ;)
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#11 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

I was going to mention that both garlic and onions have anti-fungal properties. If you have a problem with candida, then they can make you feel bad.

Since candida is a fungus, it would seem logical that an anti-fungal food would help a person, rather than making them feel bad. Are you talking about a (hopefully temporary) die-off effect, Carla?

My Prometheus Celiac Plus blood panel results (late November 2007) were **very** negative
Meanwhile, have been gluten-free since 4 December 2007, and starting to feel better!

#12 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:36 AM

I love onions. In any form, I love them. When I recently figured out I was intolerant to raw onion (painful reflux/heartburn), I was really disappointed, but not surprised, because intolerance to onion is common in my family. I can still eat them cooked, and hope that that doesn't change! :)

Michelle
(who is now starting to react to raw carrot too :o )

Does anyone else have an intolerance to onions. I know garlic affects me and now im wondering if onions do. Last night i made some guacamole with onions. Well right after I ate them my stomach cramped so bad, i could not move and then my feet started to tingle and my legs felt funny(like i do after gluten) but i laid in bed with the heating pad and i felt somewhat better when i woke up, which i dont feel better if i have been glutened. So could this be an onion intolerance. I also woke up with bad heart burn but now is better.

Does anyone else go threw this with onions.

paula

#13 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:25 AM

Since candida is a fungus, it would seem logical that an anti-fungal food would help a person, rather than making them feel bad. Are you talking about a (hopefully temporary) die-off effect, Carla?

I'm not Carla but yes....it would be a temporary worsening of symptoms. Some people refer to it as "die-off"...I think of it as a redistribution of heavy metals. Yeast and molds bind with heavy metals. If you have a problem with mercury from amalgams...you would very likely also have a problem with fungi.

If you kill the yeast...the metals they were bound to are dumped into the system. This would cause symptoms as the metals are redistributed.

Its best to take something to "catch" the metals. If you take a toxin binder which absorbs heavy metals these symptoms can be greatly reduced.
Rachel

#14 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:38 AM

Thank you, Rachel -- I never could figure out why onions started bothering me about 25 years ago -- your explanation makes perfect sense! What things are you taking? Are they available at health-food stores, or do they require a prescription? Do they remove all minerals from your body (as intravenous chelation therapy does), or just the heavy metals?

You can take binders that are not chelators...they just bind with the mobilized metals preventing them from causing more damage.

The best is probably chlorella (from a good source). Its an algae very capable of binding with metals in the gut. It also has many other health benefits....some people dont tolerate it well though.

I cant take chlorella or modifilan...both are algaes used to detox heavy metals.

Heres a list of toxin binders:

Cholestyramine
•Fiber (non-psyllium)
•Chlorella
•Modifilan
•Apple pectin
•Butyrate
•Bentonite
•Activated Charcoal

These do not actually chelate from the tissue...so they arent taking out any minerals. They just bind with metals/toxins in the gut.

I do take an oral chelator. I take DMSA w/ Lipoic Acid. I supplement the minerals.

Today I'm having my first IV DMPS (intravenous chelator) and at the same time I will get an IV of minerals as well as glutathione.
Rachel

#15 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the list, Rachel! I already eat some of those things, and will keep the others in mind.

Chelation (IV or otherwise) strikes me as a sometimes-useful therapy that needs to be considered very cautiously. Good luck with your session!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: