Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Warning: Bare Minerals 100%mineral Lip Color

9 posts in this topic

I ordered some bare minerals make-up last week and since they said their foundation was gluten free I mentioned it was too bad they did not sell lipstick. The woman at BMinerals(Bare Essentials) said they have a new line of lipsticks at Saphora.com. She said they did not add gluten ingreidients . Going only with a reps. word and for the first time in three years I did not check the ingriedient list on line. The lipstick came yesterday and a minute after I put it on my lips felt sunburned. Called bare essentials and the rep. read the ingreidient list she mentioned gardenia flower extract so as I am allergic to flowers I assumed that was it. Again I was told no gluten ingriedients. Went to the Saphora website and clicked on the lipstick ingr. list-BARLEY SEED OIL./BARLEY LIPIDS. one was on the active list the other was on the complete list. I clicked Called them back and I was told a memo would go out to all in the company. My lips burn,tummy hurts -this is so stupid. At least I tried it before the wedding I am going to at the end of the month.

Ads by Google:
I ordered some bare minerals make-up last week and since they said their foundation was gluten free I mentioned it was too bad they did not sell lipstick. The woman at BMinerals(Bare Essentials) said they have a new line of lipsticks at Saphora.com. She said they did not add gluten ingreidients . Going only with a reps. word and for the first time in three years I did not check the ingriedient list on line. The lipstick came yesterday and a minute after I put it on my lips felt sunburned. Called bare essentials and the rep. read the ingreidient list she mentioned gardenia flower extract so as I am allergic to flowers I assumed that was it. Again I was told no gluten ingriedients. Went to the Saphora website and clicked on the lipstick ingr. list-BARLEY SEED OIL./BARLEY LIPIDS. one was on the active list the other was on the complete list. I clicked Called them back and I was told a memo would go out to all in the company. My lips burn,tummy hurts -this is so stupid. At least I tried it before the wedding I am going to at the end of the month.

I was having the same trouble with their lipgloss - it really hurt my lips terribly!! So sorry that you had problems, but it now makes sense to me why I had so much trouble. I switched over to another company, they have pure and safe botanicals and all their lipsticks are gluten free and tested to be so!! I love, love the new makeup I am using!

I was having the same trouble with their lipgloss - it really hurt my lips terribly!! So sorry that you had problems, but it now makes sense to me why I had so much trouble. I switched over to another company, they have pure and safe botanicals and all their lipsticks are gluten free and tested to be so!! I love, love the new makeup I am using!

Could you share the name of the company with us? :)

Bare escentuals has a lipgloss called big buxom lips. It does tend to make your lips feel tingly or slightly burned. It's supposed to make your lips appear fuller. I have no idea what the ingredients are in that one. I do know all the rest of their lip products seem to be gluten-free.

B.E. is my favorite makeup, so I feel confidante in saying the only products that I have encountered that have gluten are the Rare minerals nighttime treatment and the Big Tease mascara. The Big Buxom lipgloss is the only one I don't have and ingredient list for.

For what it's worth, I don't like that lipgloss at all!

neesee

Well, curiosity got the best of me, so I checked out the Sephora website. Bare escentuals does have a new lipstick, and it does have barley listed as an ingredient. Wow, I'm sure glad you posted about this. I probably wouldn't have checked. I've been gluten-free for so long now I sometimes get over confidante about things. Thank you for the warning.

neesee

Y'know, I had a lot of trouble and different answers from different representatives when I contacted them a while back. Here's a link to the posting I did about it: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/lofiversion...php/t11086.html

Never did get a definitive response from them.

Also, I think most of MAC's lip products are gluten-free. I would call the company to see which ones, but I've been using their Lip Glass for a while now and have never had problems (and it's great). Good luck!

I called Bare Escentuals this morning and asked specifically if their lipsticks contain gluten. I was told yes, I then asked if they have any lip products that are gluten free. The response I received was "all of our lip products contain gluten".

Also, I think most of MAC's lip products are gluten-free.

They key word here is "most". The representative at the makeup counter has a book of ingredients. Please check before purchasing MAC, as some lipsticks do contain gluten.

hi,

i just called sephora and the rep. assured me that the buxom lips, color dolly, did NOT contain gluten. all colors are formulated differently, all have their own ingredient list. She said is did not have barley of any sort in it. just an FYI in case anyone was interested.

hope this helps!