Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Free For A Month And A Half, Casein Free For 2 Weeks...

9 posts in this topic

Is it normal to still have the same bloating and cramping on a daily basis even after eliminating both gluten and casein? My diet consists of fruits, vegetables, chicken, occasionally turkey and fish and plenty of corn. Sometimes I eat nuts and seeds. How much of this is normal? My diarrhea went away almost immediately after eliminating gluten, but bloating and gas still. What's the deal here?

Ads by Google:

Maybe you are having a reaction to corn. I also have a problem with dairy and when I accidentally eat some, I get really bloated and have lots of gas that lasts for probably a week and a half to two weeks sometimes. The bloating and gas then goes away. Maybe the casein hasn't completely cleared out yet.

What form is your "plenty of corn" in? Some people have problems digesting whole corn kernals, but no problems with corn that's been mashed up. For instance, I can eat corn chips and corn tortillas til they come out my ears... but if I'm eating corn on the cob, I need to limit myself to 1 ear or I have problems. I think that it may have to do with how damaged our intestines are due to the gluten. Anything that is "difficult" to break down causes problems.

I realize that you're probably trying to use corn as your carbs, but you may want to eliminate the corn for a few days, try substituting rice or potatoes.

I eat a lot of Gluten Free tortilla chips, under the brand name "Go-Mex." I also eat pop corn, popped without oil and not buttered. I bread chicken and tilapia/haddock/halibut with corn flour once or twice a week. I do not eat a lot of corn on the cob or canned corn, because it tends to not feel so good.

I do eat a fair bit of rice and potatoes, too. I guess I forgot about them. Rice seems to be one of the few things I can eat any time without having some section of my digestive tract pissed off at me.

I have read a lot of postings about people having problems with fruit, the fruit sugar.

You might want to look it up on the internet. Bloating is one of the symptoms.

Also, many celiacs have problems with fiber (roughage) in the beginning of a gluten-free diet.

This is because the villi are damaged.

It is possible that it is just taking awhile to fully resolve. Remember it takes adults 1-2 years to heal after going gluten-free.

It is also possible that you have other food intolerances which is common for celiacs. For some these seem to eventually resolve. For others, they don't. It is very individual.

Your confusion is normal, we all have to feel our way along. Lots of people can relate.

I think you need to give casein free more time. Also, are you sure your gluten-free? New toaster, new pots and pans, dedicated toaster? If you do, ignore the suggestions, but just a thought.

Kassandra

Also, soy may be a problem.

I could do with a new set of pots and pans and I don't use the toaster at all. Thanks for the tip.

The issue with pots and pans is what kind do you have? It they have porous or scratched surfaces that gluten could stick to, you might be having a problem.

Also what about your personal care products?

Are others in your house eating gluten, if so what precautions are you taking?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Just a quick one to say I got a diagnosis of celiac disease today. I know in the past it's been helpful for me to know the outcome for other folk, so thought I would update. The moral of this story is even with a VERY borderline blood test it's worth persisting. thanks for all the help Sue 
    • Well, I am stressed to the max. I just spent 3 days in the hospital with D and stomach pain, dizziness, chest pain, generally unwell. Then another trip to the ER on top of that. My protein was low and my RBC and hemoglobin dropped below normal in 3 days. Not terribly low, but below normal. I also had metabolic acidosis which still confuses me. I usually eat every 2-3 hours despite it causing pain to keep my energy up and was unable to eat that frequently in the hospital. I usually carry protein with me and had been taking liquid iron which I stopped a few weeks ago because my new endo is not a fan of iron supplements. As soon as I got home from the hospital I started with my protein drinks and blackstrap molasses for iron.  I now have bilateral mild pleural effusions and a nodule on my left lung, which hopefully is nothing, but was not there on a CT back in March. In addition, my left adrenal gland, which also appeared normal in March, is calcified and the report indicates this is most likely due to a previous bleed or infection. My colon appears tortuous (whatever that means) and we are waiting on colon/endo biopsies. I have been gluten-free since March except for cc so expect the biopsies to again be negative.  My primary care is useless. I am in the process of getting a new one I will see on the 7th but need the current one to fill out FMLA paperwork because I both physically and mentally need time to recover. I will have to go off of payroll for 2 weeks but I think I need to. I called the primary's office today to discuss the hospital tests which she does NOT have yet and to ask if we should/could start a low dose of prednisone because my body is attacking itself. My thyroid on ultrasound is also abnormal though my bloodwork thus far is normal. But it hurts on that side. The only reason the ultrasound was ordered is because I asked for it in the first place. The only reason I have started seeing an endocrinologist is because I found one myself. Anyway...I broke down in tears on the phone eith her today and she told me I was having a "manic episode". I have no history of mania. I only recently started taking xanax to help me cope with the stress of being sick. I was not sick until I did this stupid gluten challenge over the winter. My mother was in town and spoke with the doctor on the phone as well who was trying to get my mom to take me to a psych hospital. She also threatened to send the police to check on me. My mother assured her I was in no danger and we hung up the phone in complete shock. Admittedly, I was in tears when I called her and probably sounded like a fucking mess. But I believe I referenced the dropping iron, protein, fluid near lungs, enlarged thyroid and attacked adrenal gland then literally said "my body is attacking itself and I need help" to which she said, "I think you are manic". Lovely. If I was a mess before that phone call it was 10x worse when we hung up.  Anyway, this is the first night it has been extremely difficult to sleep. I admit my thoughts about my odd symptoms keep me up often recently. I mean, who the hell bleeds from or gets an infected adrenal gland?! I am sure it was another time I begged my primary for help. On a side not, the NP at the ER told me the primary should be putting these pieces together and communicating with my other doctors better. He then stated that he used to go to the same practice but left because the practice got too big and like a business. So I got some validation from that chat.  A melatonin or a .25 xanax usually does the trick for me to sleep but I am so disturbed about my interaction today, stressed at my health, stressed that my ex has our son so much because I am always sick (bless him for coming through), stressed that I have to go back to this awful doctor because I will need the FMLA paperwork before I see the new doc on the 7th.  8 months ago, I took a multivitamin when I remembered it and that was it.  End rant. Maybe now that it is off my chest I can finally sleep. 
    • Hi DKH0614, I use aspirin, Pepto Bismol, and peppermint tea or Altoids peppermints.  Pepto Bismol has a soothing effect on the gut.  Pepto Bismol also has aspirin in it.  Peppermint is helpful for relaxing smooth muscle tissue and getting gas out of the stomach. As per KarenG, you may be reacting to dairy.  Dairy has a sugar called lactose in it that some people with celiac have a hard time digesting.  You could try avoiding dairy for a few weeks to see if that helps.  Or try taking lactaid type pills when you eat dairy. It doesn't take very much gluten to cause an immune system reaction.  So it is important to avoid even traces of gluten if possible.  The stuff is hard to avoid sometimes if people around you don't understand how much a small amount of it can affect your body. Let us know if we can help with any  more questions, or if you have concerns we haven't addressed. And welcome to the forum! Also, if you subscribe to the thread (notify me of replies) you'll get an email when people respond to your thread.    
    • After a year and half, if you are eating gluten-free, you shouldn't be having pain from Celiac.  Perhaps you need to find out what is really causing your issues?  Dairy/ lactose is an obvious first place to look.
    • Hi! I am 15 and have been diagnosed with celiac disease for about a year and a half now and I am woundering what do some of y'all use to relive some of the abdominal pains that come along with celiac/gluten allergies?  ( Ibuprofen,  Tylenol, etc.) 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    DKH0614