Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten Free For A Month And A Half, Casein Free For 2 Weeks...

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 Panopticism

Panopticism

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:29 AM

Is it normal to still have the same bloating and cramping on a daily basis even after eliminating both gluten and casein? My diet consists of fruits, vegetables, chicken, occasionally turkey and fish and plenty of corn. Sometimes I eat nuts and seeds. How much of this is normal? My diarrhea went away almost immediately after eliminating gluten, but bloating and gas still. What's the deal here?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 stargazer

stargazer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:03 AM

Maybe you are having a reaction to corn. I also have a problem with dairy and when I accidentally eat some, I get really bloated and have lots of gas that lasts for probably a week and a half to two weeks sometimes. The bloating and gas then goes away. Maybe the casein hasn't completely cleared out yet.

#3 mommyagain

mommyagain

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

What form is your "plenty of corn" in? Some people have problems digesting whole corn kernals, but no problems with corn that's been mashed up. For instance, I can eat corn chips and corn tortillas til they come out my ears... but if I'm eating corn on the cob, I need to limit myself to 1 ear or I have problems. I think that it may have to do with how damaged our intestines are due to the gluten. Anything that is "difficult" to break down causes problems.

I realize that you're probably trying to use corn as your carbs, but you may want to eliminate the corn for a few days, try substituting rice or potatoes.

#4 Panopticism

Panopticism

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:17 AM

I eat a lot of Gluten Free tortilla chips, under the brand name "Go-Mex." I also eat pop corn, popped without oil and not buttered. I bread chicken and tilapia/haddock/halibut with corn flour once or twice a week. I do not eat a lot of corn on the cob or canned corn, because it tends to not feel so good.

I do eat a fair bit of rice and potatoes, too. I guess I forgot about them. Rice seems to be one of the few things I can eat any time without having some section of my digestive tract pissed off at me.

#5 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:20 AM

I have read a lot of postings about people having problems with fruit, the fruit sugar.
You might want to look it up on the internet. Bloating is one of the symptoms.
Also, many celiacs have problems with fiber (roughage) in the beginning of a gluten-free diet.
This is because the villi are damaged.
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#6 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:53 PM

It is possible that it is just taking awhile to fully resolve. Remember it takes adults 1-2 years to heal after going gluten-free.

It is also possible that you have other food intolerances which is common for celiacs. For some these seem to eventually resolve. For others, they don't. It is very individual.

Your confusion is normal, we all have to feel our way along. Lots of people can relate.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#7 confusedks

confusedks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

I think you need to give casein free more time. Also, are you sure your gluten-free? New toaster, new pots and pans, dedicated toaster? If you do, ignore the suggestions, but just a thought.

Kassandra

Also, soy may be a problem.
Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007
Gluten Free- May 2007
Soy Free- August 2007
Sugar Free- January 2008
Starch Free- January 2008
Egg Free (again!)- February 2008
Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

#8 Panopticism

Panopticism

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:02 AM

I could do with a new set of pots and pans and I don't use the toaster at all. Thanks for the tip.

#9 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:17 AM

The issue with pots and pans is what kind do you have? It they have porous or scratched surfaces that gluten could stick to, you might be having a problem.

Also what about your personal care products?

Are others in your house eating gluten, if so what precautions are you taking?
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: