13 replies to this topic

#1 adiftime

adiftime

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hi! Not sure how or where to start. I am a 54 year old female that has just recently been diagnosed with Celiac Sprue, Diverticulitis, Gastritis, and Lactose Intolerant. I am currently 5í 2Ē and weigh 72#. My normal weight has never been more than 95-98. I have spent most of my life not worrying about a thing that I eat. But also could never gain weight even if I tried. I have never been too interested in food, but still ate healthy, just didnít care whether I did or didnít eat. I would skip meals a lot just because I wasnít really hungry. Never been one to eat sweets, bread, pasta etc.. unless I had to. My dad was an Italian Chef so I was raised on pasta, so now I know why I never gained weight as a child. Dad always filled your plate and you had to eat it all or else you got it for the next meal (happened to me a lot), back then there were no microwaves, so to this day if pasta gets the least bit cool Iím GAGGING! I often wondered if I had an eating disorder but didnít feel like I did, it's just that food never excited me. I think my body has always been trying to tell me something, now that I look back at my past.

I have been relatively healthy most of my life never going to the doctor myself much, only for a bad cold, allergy meds etc.. I have spent most of my adult life being a care giver in one form or another. My husband and I have been married for 35 years, raised 3 biological children(2 his Ė 1 ours) and 2 adopted children. But we also helped raise 8 others through fostering and tough love. Now we have 12 wonderful grandchildren. We also have taken care of my grandparents, my mother, both of my sisters and my husbandsí parents in a home health situation in our own home till their passing. After my last sister passed away in November of í05 is when my health really started to take a serious downhill trend. At first I felt that it was all grief, so I started grief counseling and it has helped, but now I know that was not all it was. I struggled along for the last year plus trying to get myself back but wasnít doing any good. Our kids intervened in June of this year and made me go to the doctor, making the appts for me and going with me. Thank God they did or I might not be here today.

I was feeling very over whelmed till I found this site and you all have made me feel so much better to just know that I am not alone and I am not crazy, those things are really happening, itís not all in my head!!!

I have found a wonderful Dietician that is working with me and is soooooo much more helpful than either one of my other doctors. She, herself, went on the gluten free diet for a while, just to know more about it.

Because it is hereditary, I now look back at my family history and think that it may have been culprit in several of my familiesí illnesses and early deaths. My grandmother and my mother both had obstructed bowels, that eventually took their lives (Momma survived 13 years after her obstruction and partial colon removal, although she was on vitamins and nutrients in pill form). One sister was extremely small and died from an over dose of steroids (her heart gave out). She also had had extreme depression for many years prior and had been an alcoholic and then became malnourished. My last sister died from pancreatic cancer, it was the hardest thing I have ever witnessed in my life, seeing her go through that.

I now worry about the next generations, I have tried to explain the importance to all of them that they need to be tested. My daughter has epileptic seizures that came on in her college years, she is hypo gluaocemic(sp?), goes extended amounts of time without a bowel movement, is tired a lot, has over weight problems, allergies etc.. Her doctor doesnít feel it is necessary to test her at this point because he doesnít fell she is showing any symptoms, but I think she has a lot of symptoms. I just hope eventually they will all insist on being tested before they get to the point I have.

I have a wonderful and supportive husband, which I donít think I could have ever been able to get through all of this without his help. I know it will be a slow process bouncing back, but I am already feeling a little bit better. I still have days I donít even feel like getting dressed, thank God I quit working in February. I couldnít have handle working and going through all of this.

So, there is my story and where Iíve came from. Sorry it's so long! :(

I want to Thank Each and Everyone of You for sharing your stories and making me feel like I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck to All and My Prayers are with You!!

Sincerely,
Billie
May God Bless And Keep Each And Everyone Of You!

Diagnosed: Aug. '07
Celiac Sprue
Diverticulitis
Gastritis
Lactose Intolerant

Other known Allergies: Green Bell Peppers, Egg whites, Bees/Wasp, Mold, Pine Trees, Grass, Rag weed, several outdoor plant types, dust, Sulfa, some antibotics, most perfumes, most cleaning chemicals, still compiling....

Newly found Allergies: Ensure, cantaloupe, peaches, milk, Lame Advertisement, PEPSI (OH NO!!)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

Nice to meet you, Billie. You are in the right place. :)
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#3 SallyC

SallyC

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

Nice to meet you, Billie. You are in the right place. :)

Yes Billie you are in the right place and you will learn here that doctors don't know everything.

#4 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hi Billie....

I am glad you found us! There's a bunch of really great, supportive people on here who are extremely knowledgeable not only about celiac, but related disorders also. Lots of us have numerous autoimmune disorders (they tend to come in clusters....).

Our motto here is there is no such thing as a silly question. Anything you want to ask, just fire away!

Welcome to the family!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#5 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

Welcome! I think you will find that this forum has some of the best, most kind, caring and knowledgeable people you will find. When I was in the process of being diagnosed, I honestly don't know what I would have done without them. I met my best friends through this forum.

Please know that you are NOT alone . . . and that you are in glad company. Just watch out during the full moon . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :ph34r:

Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#6 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:14 PM

. Just watch out during the full moon . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :ph34r:

Lynne

Hey! I resemble that remark!!!!! LMAO!

:lol: :P
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#7 adiftime

adiftime

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:12 AM

Thank You all for your warm welcome. Like I said I AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE!!

One day at at time, One new item tried at a time, and One new person a day told about this disease!

That's my new motto.

Good Luck to You All and God Bless Each One of you for a Healthier tomorrow.

Billie

Celiac Sprue
Diverticulitis
Gastritis
Lactose Intolerant

Other known Allergies: Green Bell Peppers, Egg whites, Bees/Wasp, Mold, Pine Trees, Grass, Rag weed, several outdoor plant types, dust, Sulfa, some antibotics, most perfumes, most cleaning chemicals, still compiling....

Newly found Allergies: Ensure, cantaloupe, peaches, milk, Lame Advertisement, PEPSI (OH NO!!)

#8 Piccolo

Piccolo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:54 AM

Billie,

Welcome to the board. You and I have a lot in common. I am just a few years older then you, but our weight is about the same. I weigh about 77 as I write this. I have been this weight for years. I can't gain either. At least I can claim to be the smallest in my whole family. The only problem I have being small is I have osteoprosis and I working on fixing that.

Susan :D
Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

#9 adiftime

adiftime

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

Billie,

Welcome to the board. You and I have a lot in common. I am just a few years older then you, but our weight is about the same. I weigh about 77 as I write this. I have been this weight for years. I can't gain either. At least I can claim to be the smallest in my whole family. The only problem I have being small is I have osteoprosis and I working on fixing that.

Susan :D

Hi Susan,

How low was your weight when you were first diagnosed? Did you lose more after going on the gluten free diet? Do you have trouble being able to eat enough calories in a day? My dietician wants me to eat 1800-2200 calories a day, right now I'm averaging 1500-1600. Just not hungry. But I am also some what of a picky eater.

Celiac Sprue
Diverticulitis
Gastritis
Lactose Intolerant

#10 Piccolo

Piccolo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:26 AM

Billie

I have not been diagnosed. In April 2006 I had my blood drawn for 96 food sensitivities. I was positive for 21 different foods including wheat and gluten. I went gluten free after receiving these results. Since I have had a few reactions from sometimes unknown ingredients I am afraid to try any foods that I am sensitive to because I don't like being dizzy.

You ask about my weight it has remained steady for years. I got pregnant when I was 73 lb. My top weight 9 months pregnant was 92 lb. (18 years ago now). I did see a nutritionist to find a healthy way to gain weight and now that I am gluten free I am up to about 77. It has taken me two years just to gain the four pounds. I cheer at any weight I gain. My clothes are finally getting a little snug. :D I eat about 1700 calories a day. I keep track of the foods and calories on mypyramidtracker.gov

Susan
Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

#11 adiftime

adiftime

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

Billie

I have not been diagnosed. In April 2006 I had my blood drawn for 96 food sensitivities. I was positive for 21 different foods including wheat and gluten. I went gluten free after receiving these results. Since I have had a few reactions from sometimes unknown ingredients I am afraid to try any foods that I am sensitive to because I don't like being dizzy.

You ask about my weight it has remained steady for years. I got pregnant when I was 73 lb. My top weight 9 months pregnant was 92 lb. (18 years ago now). I did see a nutritionist to find a healthy way to gain weight and now that I am gluten free I am up to about 77. It has taken me two years just to gain the four pounds. I cheer at any weight I gain. My clothes are finally getting a little snug. :D I eat about 1700 calories a day. I keep track of the foods and calories on mypyramidtracker.gov

Susan

Susan,

Guess I hadn't thought about being tested for other food allergies, being able to be done through blood test. That would sure be a lot better than finding out by eating the wrong things and ending up sick.

I weighed 115# when I checked into the hospital to have our daughter, left hospital weighing 98 and have never gained above since. (33 yrs ago)

I've been keeping track of my foods and weight on calorie-count.com. It looks like it does a lot of the same thing your website does, such as keeping track of activities etc..

Billie

Celiac Sprue
Diverticulitis
Gastritis
Lactose Intolerant

#12 Arpita

Arpita

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:33 AM

Hi! Not sure how or where to start. I am a 54 year old female that has just recently been diagnosed with Celiac Sprue, Diverticulitis, Gastritis, and Lactose Intolerant. I am currently 5í 2Ē and weigh 72#. My normal weight has never been more than 95-98. I have spent most of my life not worrying about a thing that I eat. But also could never gain weight even if I tried. I have never been too interested in food, but still ate healthy, just didnít care whether I did or didnít eat. I would skip meals a lot just because I wasnít really hungry. Never been one to eat sweets, bread, pasta etc.. unless I had to. My dad was an Italian Chef so I was raised on pasta, so now I know why I never gained weight as a child. Dad always filled your plate and you had to eat it all or else you got it for the next meal (happened to me a lot), back then there were no microwaves, so to this day if pasta gets the least bit cool Iím GAGGING! I often wondered if I had an eating disorder but didnít feel like I did, it's just that food never excited me. I think my body has always been trying to tell me something, now that I look back at my past.

I have been relatively healthy most of my life never going to the doctor myself much, only for a bad cold, allergy meds etc.. I have spent most of my adult life being a care giver in one form or another. My husband and I have been married for 35 years, raised 3 biological children(2 his Ė 1 ours) and 2 adopted children. But we also helped raise 8 others through fostering and tough love. Now we have 12 wonderful grandchildren. We also have taken care of my grandparents, my mother, both of my sisters and my husbandsí parents in a home health situation in our own home till their passing. After my last sister passed away in November of í05 is when my health really started to take a serious downhill trend. At first I felt that it was all grief, so I started grief counseling and it has helped, but now I know that was not all it was. I struggled along for the last year plus trying to get myself back but wasnít doing any good. Our kids intervened in June of this year and made me go to the doctor, making the appts for me and going with me. Thank God they did or I might not be here today.

I was feeling very over whelmed till I found this site and you all have made me feel so much better to just know that I am not alone and I am not crazy, those things are really happening, itís not all in my head!!!

I have found a wonderful Dietician that is working with me and is soooooo much more helpful than either one of my other doctors. She, herself, went on the gluten free diet for a while, just to know more about it.

Because it is hereditary, I now look back at my family history and think that it may have been culprit in several of my familiesí illnesses and early deaths. My grandmother and my mother both had obstructed bowels, that eventually took their lives (Momma survived 13 years after her obstruction and partial colon removal, although she was on vitamins and nutrients in pill form). One sister was extremely small and died from an over dose of steroids (her heart gave out). She also had had extreme depression for many years prior and had been an alcoholic and then became malnourished. My last sister died from pancreatic cancer, it was the hardest thing I have ever witnessed in my life, seeing her go through that.

I now worry about the next generations, I have tried to explain the importance to all of them that they need to be tested. My daughter has epileptic seizures that came on in her college years, she is hypo gluaocemic(sp?), goes extended amounts of time without a bowel movement, is tired a lot, has over weight problems, allergies etc.. Her doctor doesnít feel it is necessary to test her at this point because he doesnít fell she is showing any symptoms, but I think she has a lot of symptoms. I just hope eventually they will all insist on being tested before they get to the point I have.

I have a wonderful and supportive husband, which I donít think I could have ever been able to get through all of this without his help. I know it will be a slow process bouncing back, but I am already feeling a little bit better. I still have days I donít even feel like getting dressed, thank God I quit working in February. I couldnít have handle working and going through all of this.

I want to Thank Each and Everyone of You for sharing your stories and making me feel like I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Billie

Welcome. You are not alone. I have been gluten free for almost three years, and have cut out other foods during the last year. It's not an easy road, and it can be very lonely. I wanted to give some info. for your daughter (if she or her doctor is interested). My daughter has celiac, and her primary symptom was partial temporal lobe seizures. Recently, seizures has moved from the "associated disorder" list to the "symptom" list of celiac. Online - webmd shows it in the list. Anyway, when gluten free (and dairy free), she is completely seizure free and since her seizures were celiac induced, she has never taken any medication. I know it's weird talking to relatives about the possibility that they might have it. I rarely do it, because it seems that then they become more judgmental or more questioning about my condition or my daughters. Just some FYI if she's interested.

#13 MrsG

MrsG

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:51 AM

Sincerely,
Billie

#14 MrsG

MrsG

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:04 AM

Hello,

I too am new here- just found out on 9-11, My story goes way back that it all starts to make some sort of understanding to it... meaning that I had so many things wrong with me that I simply didn't want to complain to anyone anymore and I really just thought I wanted to end it all. I can truly understand what you are dealing with and that if you ever need to just vent please do so - I hardly ever sleep and I am always (shall we say Upshucking) so I thank you for your story and I will share mine with you as well.

EMAIL ME AT MRSGRAZIANO@AOL.COM I would love to talk to someone that understands the emotions that go with this. I am here for you-24/7 I Understand You. much love and I hope you are feeling ok now that you know YOU ARE NOT GOING CRAZY!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: