Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Curious If It Is Common!

How long is your pinky finger?   230 members have voted

1. 1. How Long is your Pinky Finger?

• Below last joint on ring finger
    • Even with last joint on ring finger
    • Above last joint on ring finger

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

60 posts in this topic

About ten years ago, a doctor commented on my short pinkies and said that there was some correlation between short pinkies and some genetic disorders. He didn't go into any detail though.

Ads by Google:
About ten years ago, a doctor commented on my short pinkies and said that there was some correlation between short pinkies and some genetic disorders. He didn't go into any detail though.

People with Down's Syndrome have pinkies that curve inward (which would make it appear smaller) and are sometimes missing an entire joint, which really makes the pinkies smaller. It's one of the markers they check at birth.

I know this has only been on here for a couple of days, but I had hoped to have at least 100 people for a good comparison.

Also, I am curious for the 5 people that have a longer pinky, what their diagnoisis' are.

Don't really think this is a scientific study, but if it all has to do with genes, maybe it is an indication of a possiblity of having the disease.

I think when one is measuring you should look at the length of your finger from the palm side of your hand.

Thanks to all of you that have participated.

I'm one of the few with the longer pinky .... was diagnosed with celiac disease at age 65, was and still am asymptomatic. Also have Sjogren's Syndrome.

People with Down's Syndrome have pinkies that curve inward (which would make it appear smaller) and are sometimes missing an entire joint, which really makes the pinkies smaller. It's one of the markers they check at birth.

I think this all is making me look at my pinkies too much! :rolleyes:

But this curved pinkie comment made me wonder about a different angle: curved toes. My pinkie toes curve under the next toe, and the "ring" toe on one foot curves under my middle toe so far that my middle toe doesn't touch the ground when I walk! When I paint my toenails, I do them all, but seriously, you can barely see those three. The doctor was concerned about this when I was a baby and young child, but since I never had any problems with walking, that was the end of that.

So now I'm just looking at all of my digits too much!! :P

One of my pinkies is a little shorter, the left hand one, and the other is equal. How do I vote? I voted shorter.

Talking about toes, my big toe is shorter than the next toe. My middle son was born with bent little fingers, but they still are above the joint.

Cathy

My 6th grade dd's homework last night was a dominant/recessive trait check of the family. One of the things on the sheet was pinky curvature. I think it was a recessive trait. The most interesting one on there was how you fold your hands together (like holding hands with yourself) Right thumb on top was dominant, left on top recessive. I have the dominant trait, my husband the recessive. The girls are one of each as well. Makes me wonder if I passed one of them the celiac gene too :( .......

Not sure how to vote as the left pinky is even and the right one is longer.

How can you live almost 59 years and not realize they are different lengths! :rolleyes:

My hand folding is recessive - never knew that either!

Sandi

I think if I had to chose one, I would pick my most dominate hand.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rules on this.

I would like to THANK EVERYONE for participating in this, it's been really interesting.

I hope at least 100 participate.

Thanks again Everyone!!! :lol:

Billie

Well I just joined this site, and I just voted!

Both of my pinky fingers are shorties!

I've just been told that I am gluten intolerant.

Looking forward to more conversations!

Hi, I am waiting for blood test results, but my doctor & I are pretty sure I have Celiac. I'm so much better on the gluten free diet. My pinkys are both shorter than the last knuckle before the ring finger. I'm going to be looking at all my friends' hands. :P

Mary

Both pinkies are just a little bit below the joint under the nail. I'm glad you clarified that way. At first when you said the last joint, I though you meant the one closest to my palm. When I go home for Christmas, I'm going to look at everyone's hands in my family. I have 6 siblings and no one will get tested! I hope they all have really long pinkies.

Long pinkies don't protect you! Both of mine are considerably above the last joint.

Both of mine are just even with the joint. I don't have a formal diagnosis of Celiac because by the time I had the blood testing and biopsy I had been gluten free for 6 months, but I do have a diagnosis of gluten intolerance.

my left pinkie is shorter than my right pinky

my left pinkie is shorter than the joint

my right pinking is slightly above the joint

but I voted based on the top of my pinky finger,

I was confused with the whole under the nail thing

now I am not sure if I did it right?

funny thing to think about.. probably isn't true

I fold my hands the recessive way.. my left thumb goes on top.

I have tiny pinkies, especially for a guy. My pinkies are smaller than those of some girls I know. My fingers are a little small in general. Which is kind of a curse for me because I play guitar, actually I'm trying to become a professional musician, and having large hands makes things so much easier for guitar players. Jimi Hendrix had 11-inch hands! I have to work extra hard to play his music. :(

-Brian

DH went around his office and everyone has short pinkies. I'm wondering if this is just normal and most people have it. He also said it depsends on if its palm side of back of the hand.

Mine is shorter-- so your Drs theory works for me!

He gave me this diagnosed based on the length of my pinky finger. He said that if your pinky finger falls below the last joint, under your nail, on your ring finger, that that means you have gluten intolerance.

Mine is above the first joint. Celiac confirmed with bloodwork, endo, diet.

Hi all,

This is a link to a Slide show in PDF Format (open with Acrobat Reader)

Slide 51 shows the 'Short Pinky and associates it with celiac disease and Downs.

Gluten Sensitivity, celiac disease and Chronic Brain Syndrome

Well worth looking at the whole Presentation.

Best Regards,

David

I think this all is making me look at my pinkies too much! :rolleyes:

But this curved pinkie comment made me wonder about a different angle: curved toes. My pinkie toes curve under the next toe, and the "ring" toe on one foot curves under my middle toe so far that my middle toe doesn't touch the ground when I walk! When I paint my toenails, I do them all, but seriously, you can barely see those three. The doctor was concerned about this when I was a baby and young child, but since I never had any problems with walking, that was the end of that.

So now I'm just looking at all of my digits too much!! :P

I think that may be related to Turner's Syndrome, but I haven't really researched it.

My pinkies are short, too. But then again, ALL of my fingers are short.

gluten wrangler--I know what you mean about making it difficult to be a musician! I always had problems playing the piano, and in college, in my string techniques class, the bass professor didn't know what to do with me. I couldn't even play in the basic finger positions, the prof had to give me modified ones, and I could barely reach those! He said he'd never seen such small hands. (The violin, however, was a breeze to play!) :)

I also have a slightly curved left pinky. Interesting!

I was told several years ago that it is a genetic thing related to Athritus. There has been a study on it. I have RA and have a short little finger. My youngest daughter has JRA and also has a short little finger.

Yellow Rose

I'm 13 and i've had JRA for about 2-3 years... or i've been diagnosed with it.

Both my pinky fingers are at my knuckle. My doctors have told me i'm not supposed to have gluten, but only because of the Arthritis....

im pretty suprised. :P

I'm 13 and i've had JRA for about 2-3 years... or i've been diagnosed with it.

Both my pinky fingers are at my knuckle. My doctors have told me i'm not supposed to have gluten, but only because of the Arthritis....

im pretty suprised. :P

Welcome to the board. Hopefully you will have a great deal of relief from the diet. I was very surprised when my arthritis went into remission within 6 months of starting. I hope the same happens for you.

So weird!

I have Coeliac's and my pnky on my left hand is slightly below the ring fingers final joint, and on the other side it's over the line slightly.

My son who has suspected Coeliac's (pretty sure he has) his pinkys are just below the line or right at the line

of my other two children they are slightly above.

Both my pinkies are very short...and tiny....