This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Standard Process Supplements

Hollis

Hollis Newbie

Hi. I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask a question concerning Standard

Process supplements.

My nutritionist, who is crazy about SP's products and uses them almost

exclusively, is trying to convince me that, even though some -- actually,

MANY -- contain things that sound quite gluten-y to me, they're not.

I can see how dried buckwheat leaf or seed is gluten-free, but what about

defatted wheat germ?? And who knows about all the oat flour they

use. . . . When i tried calling the company to ask, i was curtly told

that some of their products were gluten-free and some not -- and that

my nutritionist would be able to tell me which is which. Not much

help.

So, do i have good reason to be concerned that my nutritionist is

in serious denial here? Or could she possibly be right that something

like the germ of wheat IS non-glutenous????

Hollis

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Hollis, and welcome to the board :)

Yes, some of the Standard Process suppliments do contain gluten. The wheat germ and the oat that they use are more than enough to trigger a reaction, and because they are taken daily, in my opinion, would cause you to not heal completely.

About a year before I was diagnosed by a GI through biopsy, I went to a Kinesiologist who put me on a gluten-free diet and had me avoid several other foods.

He also put me on a number of Standard Process suppliments. At the time, I had never heard of gluten or Celiac, so I took them as directed.

I did feel a lot better off gluten and the other foods, but the digestive enzyme I was on contained wheat germ and I found that every time I took it (3 times a day), I had awful reflux. I didn't realize this at the time because I never read the label. Boy, have things changed in that regard!

I soon reverted to my prior way of eating, and discontinued the suppliments. I didn't understand why he told me not to eat gluten, including oat, and then put me on suppliments that contained those same ingredients.

Of course, I became sicker than ever after this whole thing, and it was a good year before I heard of Celiac and put 2 and 2 together and spoke to my doctor.

So, that is my long-winded way of saying that if you are Celiac or gluten intolerant, you need to make sure that all medications and suppliments you take are totally gluten-free.

Franceen Explorer

Like in all professional fields there are multiple "camps"........and nutrionists have their camps and different theories - some not so scientifically accurate!

There are some that think Oats are ok, some that think some derivatives of wheat germ are ok, and various things like that.

My nutritionist told me be strict about anything to do with Wheat, Barley, Rye, Oats and ALL derivatives from them - to be safe. And it has proven out to be the best way for me. Oats in some other countries are "certified gluten free" because they are not cross-contaminated in the harvesting with wheat and barley like Quaker and others do here.

So, I would find a new nutritionist if she doesn't agree with you. Those supplements are not all Gluten Free! There are a number of brands that ARE tested for gluten and are gluten free. I'd take those.

Good Luck! Stay healthy!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Hi. I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask a question concerning Standard

Process supplements.

My nutritionist, who is crazy about SP's products and uses them almost

exclusively, is trying to convince me that, even though some -- actually,

MANY -- contain things that sound quite gluten-y to me, they're not.

I can see how dried buckwheat leaf or seed is gluten-free, but what about

defatted wheat germ?? And who knows about all the oat flour they

use. . . . When i tried calling the company to ask, i was curtly told

that some of their products were gluten-free and some not -- and that

my nutritionist would be able to tell me which is which. Not much

help.

So, do i have good reason to be concerned that my nutritionist is

in serious denial here? Or could she possibly be right that something

like the germ of wheat IS non-glutenous????

Hollis

I most especially wouldn't trust anything from a company who for one, doesn't inform their employees properly, and for two, allows them to be so very rude. And your nutritionist is probably getting a deal for using their stuff so much, and I wouldn't trust them either.

Hollis Newbie

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

Thank you for the responses. You really only confirmed what i already

knew/felt and didn't want to face head on, since i actually do think that

SP supps are quite good. However, given all the continuing health

problems i have it just doesn't make sense to not err on the side

of caution. So, i guess pretty soon i'll have to have a chat with my

nutritionist (whom i like a great deal and is one of the reasons i'm

alive, actually) and see what gluten-free alternatives we can come

up with. She does use a few other companies, although she is

partial to SP. . . .

Hollis

Archived