8 replies to this topic

#1 silly celiac

silly celiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:55 AM

I just signed up to get a flu shot through work next month. It didn't hit me until later that perhaps it might not be safe...? This will be my first flu season gluten-free, so I hadn't even considered it until now! Does anyone know offhand if flu shots are gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

Flu shots are gluten-free. :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 uclangel422

uclangel422

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

They do affect people who are sensitive to eggs though, so watch out for that.

#4 silly celiac

silly celiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:14 AM

YAY!!! Thank you! :D

#5 silly celiac

silly celiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

Eggs aren't a problem for me... yet... that I know of....

#6 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

Be aware that most flu shots contain MERCURY--a known neurotoxin that has been banned in all over-the-counter products for years, but is still present in some vaccines. There does seem to be a link with celiac and mercury toxicity.

You can request a mercury-free shot--it will come in an individual-dose ampule without preservatives, and it will be more expensive. If you are getting the shot through your place of work, or at your pharmacy, the mercury-free shot is not likely to be available. I believe they are only available through your doctor, but it never hurts to ask.

If they tell you that the shot does not contain thimerosal, but it comes out of a multi-use vial, then they are either wrong or lying. Same thing if they tell you it's too small an amount to be harmful.

#7 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:34 PM

Last year my kids' school began offering the nasal spray flu vaccine (I think it is called FluMist) and in the instructions it said it was not recommended for persons with any autoimmune disorders. I checked with my son's pediatrician and she advised against the FluMist but said he could have a regular flu shot no problem, so that's what we did.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#8 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:19 PM

There does seem to be quite a bit of controversy over whether vaccines ought to be recommended for people with autoimmune disorders, especially vaccines for diseases that are usually not dangerous.

I don't think it's an easy call, at least for really devastating illnesses like polio. There are valid arguments on both sides. But flu--??? I know it can be deadly for the weak and elderly--but it seems that that same group is highly susceptible to very bad reactions to the vaccines, too (as are people with autoimmune disorders).

The best I can say is, do LOTS of research, on both sides of the issue.

#9 Franceen

Franceen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:12 PM

Last year I got the FluMist from my place of work. I work for a military unit (but I'm a civilian) and they set up a table at the front entrance and everyone (I mean EVERYONE) got a FluMist. They didn't even ask for names or signatures. I found out later that it wasn't FDA approved for people over 45 (I'm 55 and the guy behind me had to be in his 60s). -I also researched it afterwards and found out that it's a live virus vaccine (versus a "killed virus") and that the rate of reactions to it is higher. Well, true. All the people in my group felt sickish the next day (headache-ish, fever-like, yukky) and also on the 2nd day. Some more than others (even young healthy males!).
I DID go ask about Gluten and it is gluten free and there were no FDA warnings for autoimmune disease people.
I felt fine the 3rd day and did not get the flu! So, if they make us do it again this year, I'd prefer the shot, but will do the FluMist without qualms.

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: