7 replies to this topic

#1 Samanthasmomma

Samanthasmomma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

Im not a very good cook, and I am really craving beef stroganaff. Anybody have any recipies or ideas?
Diagnosed via bloodwork Celiac April 2007
Intolerance to Dairy June 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

That sounds kind of tough since it calls for sour cream. Can you get a soy based sour cream? If so and you can eat soy, maybe try that.

I've never tried to recreate it since I don't like it at all. But when I do tuna casserole, I made sort of a cream soup base of fresh and/or dried and reconstituted mushrooms chopped fine in the food processor, along with a bit of celery and onion. I sautee this all in some olive oil then add a bit of sweet rice flour to thicken it up a bit after the liquid has come out of the veggies. This makes a nice base but it doesn't taste like the creamy sauce for a strogonoff would.

One thing my husband likes (and strogonoff is one of his favorite foods) is Hormel Beef Au Jus. I heat up a package or two in a big skillet, using a big spoon to break the meat down into smaller pieces. I simply take the refrigerated product and put it right in the skillet. The hardened bits of fat stay in the container for the most part and I just throw that part away.

While the meal heats through, I cook a package of Tinkyada Fettucine noodles until just al dente. I then drain them and add them to the meat, along with a little sprinkle of parsley. I just stir it together gently over the heat to heat it all through. Perhaps you could try something like that and add a bit of soy based sour cream?

#3 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

I have a recipe in the recipe thread I started last year. You can use whatever beef you like.....we use ground beef for pretty much everything.

http://www.glutenfre...s...=23795&st=0

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#4 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

Mrs. Leepers brand has a beef stroganaff....kinda of like hambuger helper.....it's really good! I love that brand!

#5 rocksea

rocksea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:47 AM

I make stroganoff all the time and my family loves it. Recipe is for 4 people. Brown 1 pound ground beef, drain well. Add 6-8 oz. mushrooms (I like the pre-sliced bellas), one med chopped onion, 1 tsp. italian seasoning, 1 tsp. terragon cover tighly on low for about 15 minutes (mushrooms should be cooked through). Add 8 oz container of sour cream (or soy) (my son is allergic to wheat not celiac). Prepare 12-16 oz bag of rice noodles (we use tinkyada) and add to skillet stir a couple of minutes. Serve

#6 GRUMP 1

GRUMP 1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

We also just started using Mrs. Leepers brand but have not tried the stroganoff as of yet. But the Lasagana is real good. We buy it at Safeway.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!

#7 Samanthasmomma

Samanthasmomma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:00 AM

Thank you all, I now have multiple options!
Diagnosed via bloodwork Celiac April 2007
Intolerance to Dairy June 2007

#8 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

I'm craving stroganoff now, am making this for dinner lol :D

lovelove
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: