4 replies to this topic

#1 Walter S

Walter S

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hello everyone. I have to be brief here because I do not have much time to post so if more info is needed or if anyone has questions I can pos more details at a later time. The short version is, i have been gluten free for a while. For years, I have suffered from chronic diarrhea, long beofre I knew I had Celiac. Now I am alternating between severe diarrhea and severe constipation, never being "regular". I never used to have that problem. It was always strictly diarrhea. Any idea what could cause this? Anyone else have this? Any advice especially for coping with the constipation as this is new to me nad quite uncomfortable? Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_thatchickali_*

Guest_thatchickali_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:45 AM

I am the opposite, I was constipated for years and it got to a really bad point of no movements for 2 weeks. Now on Gluten Free I started having diarrhea. I figured out my diet wasn't balanced, I was eating too many fruits and drinking too much juice because my sensitive stomach didn't want anything else. Now I'm trying to add more chicken and rice and corn tortillas until my appointment with my dietitian can help me map out a plan.

Maybe look at the things you are eating. It may not be related to Celiac, but just your diet.

#3 spunky

spunky

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:45 AM

I think during the early healing process, a lot of strange, new intestinal things can happen.

You can try taking some fiber (although this doesn't agree with some individuals, so be careful about adding it to see how your body responds) that is gentle, gluten free, such as Citricel or ground flax seeds and see if that helps. Things might get better after several months' healing time.

Also, it happens frequently that some new food intolerances tend to pop up their ugly little heads during the healing phase. Diary products and soy are two of the big ones to watch out for. You might need to avoid them entirely for awhile. Some people end up just avoiding them forever.

Hope it's better soon. My gut didn't find a normal regular routine for about 18 months.

#4 gfpaperdoll

gfpaperdoll

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:28 AM

I would cut out all dairy - & do not add in soy because it could also become a problem.

The top problems after gluten are dairy, soy, eggs & the nightshade family tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, egg plant... Some people have problems with legumes they are a high lectin food. I have cut them out of my diet, now that I am eating more Paleo. remember Peanuts are a Legume, I have switched to almond butter - much better for you...

sometimes when people go gluten-free they start eating more potatoes - really not a good idea, try sweet potatoes instead & try to eat meat at most meals or as a snack with fruit. If you do not eat some meat with fruit for a snack try nuts & a fruit.

& yes, your system could be adjusting to all the new foods...

you should not be eating any of the gluten-free goodies like brownies etc, until you are all healed... that does include the gluten-free pastas etc etc...

eat a few things at a time & see how you do before adding another food.

think plain foods - like a roast with carrots & onions maybe serve with some steamed broccoli or a salad

#5 rsm

rsm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:59 AM

I think during the early healing process, a lot of strange, new intestinal things can happen.

You can try taking some fiber (although this doesn't agree with some individuals, so be careful about adding it to see how your body responds) that is gentle, gluten free, such as Citricel or ground flax seeds and see if that helps. Things might get better after several months' healing time.

Also, it happens frequently that some new food intolerances tend to pop up their ugly little heads during the healing phase. Diary products and soy are two of the big ones to watch out for. You might need to avoid them entirely for awhile. Some people end up just avoiding them forever.

Hope it's better soon. My gut didn't find a normal regular routine for about 18 months.

This is good news, I'm just over 6 months and still bouncing from one extreme to another. At this point I feel so much better I don't really care but it would be nice to regulate. I will try the almond butter, peanut butter with cottonseed oil, that's most of them, is a problem for me. The paleo diet is very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: