This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Type Of "milk" To Drink?!

jewi0008

jewi0008 Contributor

Can anyone help...

If I can't have dairy or cassein that takes away milk, 1/2 & 1/2, creamer, ect.

If I can't have soy, that takes away my unsweetened soy and silk soy that I love.

So, what do I have with my coffee? I've heard I could have rice milk, but then I've heard also that some Rice Milk has gluten in it.

Does anyone know? Are there any brands that I can have? I need something in my coffee!!!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Pacific Rice Milk

Whole Foods 365 Rice Milk

Wild Oats brand Rice Milk

Almond Breeze

Living Harvest Hemp Milk

Vance's Darifree

There's more. Avoid soy milk and Rice Dream. There are lots of other options though.

kabowman Explorer

I liked the Hazelnut milk until I realized that I have an intolerance to the calcium that is added to almost all non-dairy milks and OJs. I now use plain hemp milk with no problems at all. I haven't tried the vanilla hemp milk yet.

horsegirl Enthusiast

I LOVE the Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk, either Vanilla or Chocolate flavor.

It only has 40 calories per cup, & no after taste. I use the Vanilla in my cereals, used it to

cook my rice hot cereal today, & to dunk my gluten-free cookies in! I use the Chocolate one in smoothies

& add a banana & some frozen cherries, with a little Stevia to sweeten it. I'm glad I found it,

because now I can enjoy things I was missing since I can't have casein or soy either.

Good luck!

jerseyangel Proficient

I love Pacific Almond Milk.

The Vanilla Almond is so good in hot tea :)

Sugarmag Newbie

Actually, Rice Dream now states that all of their non-dairy beverages are gluten and soy free. I tried the new Vanilla Hazelnut Supreme today in my coffee, and YUMMY!! No reaction either, belly and skin were fine. (I break out in a rash with soy too.)

Mango04 Enthusiast
Actually, Rice Dream now states that all of their non-dairy beverages are gluten and soy free. I tried the new Vanilla Hazelnut Supreme today in my coffee, and YUMMY!! No reaction either, belly and skin were fine. (I break out in a rash with soy too.)

The theory re. Rice Dream is that the formula is the same (contains barley) but the labeling is different due to the upcoming new gluten-free labeling law (products containing less than 20ppm gluten can be labeled gluten-free).

I'm wondering if anyone has contacted the company to confirm that the recipe is the same, or if we are just assuming? Sorry, I know there have been a few threads on this already...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

The formulation for Rice Dream has not changed--they just don't state it on the box anymore. It is still processed with barley.

Mango--I did just call the company while I was posting--they confirmed that the recipe has not changed--it can now be labeled gluten-free because the levels are low enough according to the FDA. I asked what the level was, and she couldn't tell me.

Mango04 Enthusiast
The formulation for Rice Dream has not changed--they just don't state it on the box anymore. It is still processed with barley.

Mango--I did just call the company while I was posting--they confirmed that the recipe has not changed--it can now be labeled gluten-free because the levels are low enough according to the FDA. I asked what the level was, and she couldn't tell me.

Thanks so much Patti :)

hathor Contributor

Just stick with the Living Harvest hemp milk. This I really like. I bought a different kind (sorry, I don't remember the name) and it tasted really nasty and completely different. I guess there must be people who like it, but ... my daughter and I couldn't stand the stuff even when we put hot chocolate mix in it B)

I like using hemp milk because of the omega 3's it contains. But I do get rice and almond milks from time to time for a change of pace.

Ridgewalker Contributor

Oh dear. This worries me. A lot. I keep hearing things here and there about new labeling laws... Is this what people are referring to when they talk about Codex?

I'm really, really worried about this. Now companies can label things gluten-free, when they're not?? What's the deal with this?

-Sarah

Mango04 Enthusiast
Just stick with the Living Harvest hemp milk. This I really like. I bought a different kind (sorry, I don't remember the name) and it tasted really nasty and completely different. I guess there must be people who like it, but ... my daughter and I couldn't stand the stuff even when we put hot chocolate mix in it B)

I like using hemp milk because of the omega 3's it contains. But I do get rice and almond milks from time to time for a change of pace.

I tried a different brand too. I think it was called Hemp Bliss. I too, will be sticking with Living Harvest (and may never be brave enough to try another brand again :rolleyes:B) ) It was pretty bad <_<

hathor Contributor
I tried a different brand too. I think it was called Hemp Bliss. I too, will be sticking with Living Harvest (and may never be brave enough to try another brand again :rolleyes:B) ) It was pretty bad <_<

Yes, that rings a bell now that you mention it. I remember the name was inappropriate given the product. Awful, awful stuff :o

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

My super picky "real Milk" loving child loves "English Bay Original" it a potato milk.

My little chocoholic sillyhead loves "Manitoba Harvest" Hemp Bliss-choclate flavor!

We also use WestSoy Rice milk for baking. None of them will brink a glass of it!

corinne Apprentice

I've tried a lot of different milks. My favorite is almond milk and rice milk is a fairly distant second. Potato milk works fairly well in baking. I tried hemp milk and spat it out; the flavor was too strong.

hathor Contributor
I tried hemp milk and spat it out; the flavor was too strong.

The flavor of the two brands of hemp milk I've tried were vastly different. Was it, perchance, the Hemp Bliss stuff you tried?

tarnalberry Community Regular

heh I don't mind hemp bliss. :)

melmak5 Contributor

Vanilla almond milk is my fav.

It even works in place of cow's milk in gluten free pancakes.

goldyjlox Contributor

I use Dairy Land Lactose Free milk. Doesnt seem to bother me. But I am only off Dairy temp. for three months and the I can have it back. I have not been sick yet, but I dont drink it. I just use it in baking and cooking. I am super picky with milk and if I cant drink my 1% then I wont drink any at all.

little d Enthusiast

I drink Dairy Ease it is 100% lactose free milk I am not sure of the gluten content but I don't think that it bothers me any. The Soy milk does bother me.

donna

Sugarmag Newbie
The theory re. Rice Dream is that the formula is the same (contains barley) but the labeling is different due to the upcoming new gluten-free labeling law (products containing less than 20ppm gluten can be labeled gluten-free).

I'm wondering if anyone has contacted the company to confirm that the recipe is the same, or if we are just assuming? Sorry, I know there have been a few threads on this already...

Thanks! I guess it's silly to believe a website and carton of a box that says "gluten free"! I just really thought after reading the site, contacting them, and having gluten free on the carton was enough. I guess I'm back to not trusting anyone anymore! :(

(I read on the chocolate chai milk package, it did state that there was 0.02ppm of barley in that one, but not the others.....very strange.)

Archived