9 replies to this topic

#1 alamaz

alamaz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

I know you aren't supposed to eat lunch meats during pregnancy unless you heat them up (ew!) but what about beef jerky? I just got a package of Welshire Farms turkey snack sticks which i love, ate three, googled beef jerky and pregnancy and saw a few things that said it's a no no. I have a drs. appointment on Monday but just thought I'd see if anyone here knew the answer before that so i can keep eating it over the weekend. Beef jerky and pickles are sooooo delicious :lol:
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007
Finally feeling better than ever!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:26 PM

Beef jerky and pickles are sooooo delicious :lol:

OMG :blink:

:lol:

I have no idea if beef jerky is ok during pregnancy or not, but you should just call your Dr office. They'll be able to tell you, so you don't have to wait till your appt.

-Sarah
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#3 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

I really can't see any good reason at all why beef jerky would be a problem during pregnancy. Doctors know usually next to nothing about nutrition, and I would think that your doctor would be the last one to know if meat jerkey would be a problem.

I simply wouldn't worry about it at all. If you like it and it is gluten-free, go for it!
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 melmak5

melmak5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:10 PM

The problem with deli meats is that they are processed and cooked, making them great breading grounds for certain types of bad bacteria.

Jerky is dehydrated and does not have the same qualities that bacteria desire (moisture, accessible nutrients - the salt makes it inhospitable for bacteria).

It still might be a good idea to check with your doc/nutritionist, but jerky should be ok. Make sure to store it in a cool, dry place once opened (zip top bag or the like)... that is if you have any left over :)

PS - Congrats!

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:52 PM

I hadn't heard about heating of lunch meats, but then I don't personally eat them and was a vegetarian throughout my pregnancy so the subject never came up. The only issue I could see with beef jerky might be nitrates. Not sure all jerky even has that in it or that it would be a problem for you. Might want to consult a dietician on that. Also realize that most beef jerky is not gluten free because it contains soy sauce. I've only found a couple of brands that do not. I wanted to make myself since I have a dehyrdrator, but all of the recipes I've found contain soy sauce and daughter is allergic to soy as well as gluten.

#6 alamaz

alamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

Thanks. I've foud Wellshire Farms Tom Tom Turkey Snack Sticks. They are gluten-free and so goood. Not sure about the nitrates. I'll have too look at the package. I buy their bacon and I know they don't put nitrates in that. Thanks every one!
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007
Finally feeling better than ever!

#7 Byte Me

Byte Me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:21 AM

Also realize that most beef jerky is not gluten free because it contains soy sauce. I've only found a couple of brands that do not. I wanted to make myself since I have a dehyrdrator, but all of the recipes I've found contain soy sauce and daughter is allergic to soy as well as gluten.

You can make your own marinade out of pretty much anything that you think would taste good... my favorite "recipe" is to just dump a big bottle of tobasco sauce over my cut strips of meat, marinate for a day or so, then dehydrate. YUM. I have to hide it or the whole family gobbles it up in no time! :)
~ Jenn

#8 missmommy

missmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

You can make your own marinade out of pretty much anything that you think would taste good... my favorite "recipe" is to just dump a big bottle of tobasco sauce over my cut strips of meat, marinate for a day or so, then dehydrate. YUM. I have to hide it or the whole family gobbles it up in no time! :)

:D ok totally off subject but we can have tobasco sauce??!! oh please say it is true! i havent had any in like 6 months because i wasnt sure or not....
Worship the LORD your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water.
I will take away sickness from among you
Exodus 23:25

#9 mama2

mama2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

[quote name='missmommy' date='Oct 4 2007, 10:30 PM' post='349483']
:D ok totally off subject but we can have tobasco sauce??!! oh please say it is true! i havent had any in like 6 months because i wasnt sure or not....
[/quote
Yes. As always check the lable 1st.

#10 mama2

mama2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:35 PM

I know you aren't supposed to eat lunch meats during pregnancy unless you heat them up (ew!) but what about beef jerky? I just got a package of Welshire Farms turkey snack sticks which i love, ate three, googled beef jerky and pregnancy and saw a few things that said it's a no no. I have a drs. appointment on Monday but just thought I'd see if anyone here knew the answer before that so i can keep eating it over the weekend. Beef jerky and pickles are sooooo delicious :lol:

I was told it was safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: