Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

I Want A Krispy Kreme!

27 posts in this topic

I'm having one of those days...sitting in front of the t.v., eating my gluten-free cheese puffs, getting pelted with Krispy Kreme commercials... My husband says "Wow, a donut sure looks good right now!" I, of course reply, "How would you feel if you knew you could never have a Krispy Kreme again???" I just need a little support.

Ads by Google:

Just think to yourself: Krispy Kreme is bad!! In more ways than one even for non-celiacs!!!

We're eating healthy! I definitely don't miss donuts!! They are so bad for you in so many ways!

Our foods are good for us and super healthy! Just keep thinking that :)

Gg

I'm having one of those days...sitting in front of the t.v., eating my gluten-free cheese puffs, getting pelted with Krispy Kreme commercials... My husband says "Wow, a donut sure looks good right now!" I, of course reply, "How would you feel if you knew you could never have a Krispy Kreme again???" I just need a little support.

I just had krispy kreme moment this weekend too. Doughnuts are my FAVORITE junk food so it is the hardest to deal with. When I have one of these moments, I indulge myself in my favorite gluten free dessert. I helps make the longing go away!

Feeling your pain,

Stacy

I got the fix for you krispy kreme lovers!!!! I haven't made them yet because I just received my flour but go to betterbatter.com. Naomi has a well written blog & a recipe for krispy kreme donuts..... I usually don't read many blogs because most are just rantings but this one is a good one.I'm hoping to find time over the weekend to try the donuts....

I have also heard this flour blend is a good one........

Let me know if anyone tries to make the donuts....

enjoy

mamaw

Its sooooo not worth it. 10 minutes of "fun" and weeks of awfulness.

I don't have a gluten-free donut recipe, but it sounds like there are some out there.

I hope you were able to treat yourself to something sweet, gluten free and delicious.

I just discovered kinnitoos and they saved me from a meltdown last week. I have started a small "stash" of emergency gluten free treats for when I feel like I am going mad or going to "cheat."

If you want a good donut Celiac Specialties in Michigan make awesome ones. You can't even tell that they are gluten free. They also have a website and ship.

Kinnikinnick makes really good frozen chocolate-frosted gluten-free donuts--I think you can order them through their website.

If you want a good donut Celiac Specialties in Michigan make awesome ones. You can't even tell that they are gluten free. They also have a website and ship.

I have had these before and they actually taste similar to a Krispy Kreme. I had the donut holes though, not the actual sized donuts. I was very impressed though.

I have beaten the urge for the Krispy Kreme with homemade gluten-free angel food cake. My husband and I are actually thinking of starting a gluten-free bakery in Murfreesboro, TN, just for moments like this. I'd like to know where Celiac Specialties is, as I am going to Michigan in a few weeks for a vacation. Thanks everyone. All of you help me so much and I appreciate it.

Give one of the gluten-free donut recipies a try sometime. I recently tried the one in The Gluten Free Gourmet Revised Edition by Bette Hagman. It was more like a cake donut than a Krispy Creme but I was satisfied. It made a lot and froze and warmed up beatifully.

Think of it this way - Krispy Creame equals sick.

Think of it this way - Krispy Creame equals sick.

I agree. They'll make you sick in more ways than one. Partially hydrogenated oils are like poison for your heart. I stopped them long before celiac. Even Celiac Specialties have the hyrogenated stuff in them. BHT too-BAAAAAD stuff IMHO. Baking your own is a good option as you could use canola oil.

LOL!

I am still on gluten (and so sick to get off of it)

it's so ironic isn't it??? :D

I'll have 2 Krispi Kremes for ya I don't get my bloodwork until Monday :)

lovelove

I got the fix for you krispy kreme lovers!!!! I haven't made them yet because I just received my flour but go to betterbatter.com. Naomi has a well written blog & a recipe for krispy kreme donuts..... I usually don't read many blogs because most are just rantings but this one is a good one.I'm hoping to find time over the weekend to try the donuts....

enjoy

mamaw

Here's the link for the page Mamaw is talking about. I found it by mistake last weekend. We haven't tried them yet.

http://betterbatterblog.blogspot.com/2007/...ect-gluten.html

You know, certain foods can trigger certain emotions...just as certain smells, etc. can do.

Think of a perfume that your mom put on all the time. After a while, smelling the fragrance on someone else may make you think of your mother. Or, if your father (or spouse) where's a certain aftershave...you get the same effect.

When I see, smell, or think of Krispy Kreme donuts, I think of myself as a little girl coming back with all of my cousins and family from the beach in Savannah. We always stopped at Krispy Kream for a treat. Now, as an adult with celiac, I have been known to stand in the bakery section of Kroger and sniff the box! :rolleyes: (This is when my hubby takes the baby and heads to the next aisle over) :P I have since quit going down the bakery aisle.

I started a thread one time (I think in the Baking forum) about having a KKreme donut craving. So, I totally empathize with you!

Treat yourself to another highfat, highcalorie dessert that is gluten-free. If you have a true sweet tooth craving, an apple dipped in peanut butter probably won't fill the void. ;)

Blessings. -Julie

enjoy

mamaw

I have tried this recipe from Naomi's blog (BTW, thank you mamaw, I first found her site thru one of your posts!) and although I have not made the donuts yet, I did try two of the variations of the recipe - the potato bread and the flat bread. I didn't have potato FLOUR, so I subbed coconut flour and everything came out fantastically. I will be making the donuts over the weekend though, so I will post back and let you know how it turns out! :D

Byte Me

thanks for the update. Please let me know how the donuts turn out.... Here it is Saturday nite & I still haven't gotten a chance to try the better batter flour yet...

I have heard nothing but good about this company.....

mamaw

Here is the address to Celiac Specialties: 48411 Jefferson, Chesterfield Township, MI. The website is: www.celiacspecialties.com

I'm going to put in another plug for the Kinnickinnik (ok, I don't think that's quite how you spell it) donuts! They are delicious!

you know what i hate? every day i drive by a krispy kreme and i can smell it from my CAR!!! nearly brings tears to my eyes everytime. not so much that i loved the donuts, but being so deprived :(

I have beaten the urge for the Krispy Kreme with homemade gluten-free angel food cake. My husband and I are actually thinking of starting a gluten-free bakery in Murfreesboro, TN, just for moments like this. I'd like to know where Celiac Specialties is, as I am going to Michigan in a few weeks for a vacation. Thanks everyone. All of you help me so much and I appreciate it.

WHERE is the recipe for that angel food cake!??? :rolleyes:

you know what i hate? every day i drive by a krispy kreme and i can smell it from my CAR!!! nearly brings tears to my eyes everytime. not so much that i loved the donuts, but being so deprived :(

Well in this town (Central California), they just mercifully CLOSED our Krispy Kreme.....I think that's a good thing, for me anyway.....if I had to SMELL it all the time, I would die... :( I feel for ya!

Byte Me

thanks for the update. Please let me know how the donuts turn out.... Here it is Saturday nite & I still haven't gotten a chance to try the better batter flour yet...

I have heard nothing but good about this company.....

mamaw

The donuts came out really really good! I had my oil a little too hot so they weren't perfect, but they still had that really nice krispy kreme type texture. We made regular, chocolate dipped, powdered sugar, and lemon curd filled...talk about a sugar high! :D

It wasn't the better batter flour mixture I used tho, it was the mixture Naomi posted on the recipe, except I subbed coconut flour again for potato flour, which I cannot seem to find anywhere around here. I am definitely ordering some of the better batter flour mix, though. Seems like she has a real talent for getting stuff to taste the way it used to!

Byte Me

Wow, you are making me jealous!!! I didn't get to make the donuts yet but I did use the better batter flour for a couple of my wheat recipes we used to love.... I did not change anything except use this gluten-free flour blend & I must say no one knew the difference from the wheat recipe so I'm totally sold on this flour blend... Plus it is reasonably priced......

Did you use a deep fryer ? What temp did you set it at?

Okay, I can smell your donuts as I type this!!!!

mamaw

Ok just step away from the donut and no one will get hurt :rolleyes:

donna

:o:blink::angry::(

ah heck...............this leaves me out.

here are the flours in the mix

1. Step One: Make the Donut Flour Mix

4 cups Tapioca Starch

2 cups Potato Starch

1 cup potato flour

1/4 cup xanthan gum

Mix very well.

can' t us any of these flours now... :ph34r: eso tapioca and now...................

potoatos high in oxalates...................... :(

oh well.........thanks for the ideas...

judy