- - - - -

I Want A Krispy Kreme!

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mmc_*

Guest_mmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:52 PM

I'm having one of those days...sitting in front of the t.v., eating my gluten-free cheese puffs, getting pelted with Krispy Kreme commercials... My husband says "Wow, a donut sure looks good right now!" I, of course reply, "How would you feel if you knew you could never have a Krispy Kreme again???" I just need a little support.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_kivmom3_*

Guest_kivmom3_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

Just think to yourself: Krispy Kreme is bad!! In more ways than one even for non-celiacs!!!

We're eating healthy! I definitely don't miss donuts!! They are so bad for you in so many ways!

Our foods are good for us and super healthy! Just keep thinking that :)

Gg

#3 mamaloca2

mamaloca2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

I'm having one of those days...sitting in front of the t.v., eating my gluten-free cheese puffs, getting pelted with Krispy Kreme commercials... My husband says "Wow, a donut sure looks good right now!" I, of course reply, "How would you feel if you knew you could never have a Krispy Kreme again???" I just need a little support.

I just had krispy kreme moment this weekend too. Doughnuts are my FAVORITE junk food so it is the hardest to deal with. When I have one of these moments, I indulge myself in my favorite gluten free dessert. I helps make the longing go away!

Feeling your pain,

Stacy

#4 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

I got the fix for you krispy kreme lovers!!!! I haven't made them yet because I just received my flour but go to betterbatter.com. Naomi has a well written blog & a recipe for krispy kreme donuts..... I usually don't read many blogs because most are just rantings but this one is a good one.I'm hoping to find time over the weekend to try the donuts....
I have also heard this flour blend is a good one........
Let me know if anyone tries to make the donuts....

enjoy

mamaw

#5 melmak5

melmak5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:05 PM

Its sooooo not worth it. 10 minutes of "fun" and weeks of awfulness.

I don't have a gluten-free donut recipe, but it sounds like there are some out there.

I hope you were able to treat yourself to something sweet, gluten free and delicious.

I just discovered kinnitoos and they saved me from a meltdown last week. I have started a small "stash" of emergency gluten free treats for when I feel like I am going mad or going to "cheat."

#6 wowzer

wowzer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

If you want a good donut Celiac Specialties in Michigan make awesome ones. You can't even tell that they are gluten free. They also have a website and ship.

#7 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:52 PM

Kinnikinnick makes really good frozen chocolate-frosted gluten-free donuts--I think you can order them through their website.

#8 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:58 AM

If you want a good donut Celiac Specialties in Michigan make awesome ones. You can't even tell that they are gluten free. They also have a website and ship.

I have had these before and they actually taste similar to a Krispy Kreme. I had the donut holes though, not the actual sized donuts. I was very impressed though.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#9 Guest_mmc_*

Guest_mmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:21 AM

I have beaten the urge for the Krispy Kreme with homemade gluten-free angel food cake. My husband and I are actually thinking of starting a gluten-free bakery in Murfreesboro, TN, just for moments like this. I'd like to know where Celiac Specialties is, as I am going to Michigan in a few weeks for a vacation. Thanks everyone. All of you help me so much and I appreciate it.

#10 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:29 AM

Give one of the gluten-free donut recipies a try sometime. I recently tried the one in The Gluten Free Gourmet Revised Edition by Bette Hagman. It was more like a cake donut than a Krispy Creme but I was satisfied. It made a lot and froze and warmed up beatifully.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#11 Phyllis28

Phyllis28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:44 AM

Think of it this way - Krispy Creame equals sick.
Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

#12 Luisa2552

Luisa2552

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:54 AM

Think of it this way - Krispy Creame equals sick.

I agree. They'll make you sick in more ways than one. Partially hydrogenated oils are like poison for your heart. I stopped them long before celiac. Even Celiac Specialties have the hyrogenated stuff in them. BHT too-BAAAAAD stuff IMHO. Baking your own is a good option as you could use canola oil.
Sara

IgA neg
IgG Pos
Biopsies showed blunted villi
HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ5
Gluten free since mid 7/07 and feel great

Daughters 8 & 11 Celiac panels negative

#13 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:03 AM

LOL!

I am still on gluten (and so sick to get off of it)
it's so ironic isn't it??? :D

I'll have 2 Krispi Kremes for ya I don't get my bloodwork until Monday :)

lovelove
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#14 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:29 AM

I got the fix for you krispy kreme lovers!!!! I haven't made them yet because I just received my flour but go to betterbatter.com. Naomi has a well written blog & a recipe for krispy kreme donuts..... I usually don't read many blogs because most are just rantings but this one is a good one.I'm hoping to find time over the weekend to try the donuts....
I have also heard this flour blend is a good one........
Let me know if anyone tries to make the donuts....

enjoy

mamaw

Here's the link for the page Mamaw is talking about. I found it by mistake last weekend. We haven't tried them yet.
http://betterbatterb...ect-gluten.html
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#15 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:52 PM

You know, certain foods can trigger certain emotions...just as certain smells, etc. can do.

Think of a perfume that your mom put on all the time. After a while, smelling the fragrance on someone else may make you think of your mother. Or, if your father (or spouse) where's a certain aftershave...you get the same effect.

When I see, smell, or think of Krispy Kreme donuts, I think of myself as a little girl coming back with all of my cousins and family from the beach in Savannah. We always stopped at Krispy Kream for a treat. Now, as an adult with celiac, I have been known to stand in the bakery section of Kroger and sniff the box! :rolleyes: (This is when my hubby takes the baby and heads to the next aisle over) :P I have since quit going down the bakery aisle.

I started a thread one time (I think in the Baking forum) about having a KKreme donut craving. So, I totally empathize with you!

Treat yourself to another highfat, highcalorie dessert that is gluten-free. If you have a true sweet tooth craving, an apple dipped in peanut butter probably won't fill the void. ;)

Blessings. -Julie
Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"
(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: