This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It Took One Week To Be Calm Enough To Write This

mamabear

Deputy1079 Newbie
I have something to add, Deputy. I'm not sure which side of the family my Celiac came from. Regardless, my father died this past April from a virulent form of leukemia. I'm not sure it's possible to describe how awful it is to lose your Daddy when you're only 22 (he died two days before my birthday, I'm 23 now) and he's only 54. There are lots of books and stories and writing by people who have lost people to cancer. The uncertainty and fear you live with every day they're dying. I'm sure they alll describe it better than I can. All I can tell you is that someday, you don't want your children to miss you because it wasn't worth it to eat the right food. Every time I get even a little tiny bitty urge to eat something I can't have, I play a little movie in my head. I picture myself dying in my 50's, and my young children and grandchildren asking me why it wasn't worth it to me to stay alive for them. Why I couldn't be bothered to give something up so that I could be around longer for them. Maybe it hits me that way because of my relatively recent loss, and I'm sure that sounds kind of harsh. That's just how I feel about it.

I have a few things to respond with. First, I am truly sorry about the loss of your father. I do recognize what a difficult loss it is to have a family member die from cancer - or from any cause really. I work as a deputy coroner - that is my career - I have a degree in mortuary science and have worked in the 'death industry' for nearly 14 years. I do recognize and know that celiac disease can be contributory to other disorders that lead to death. However, I also am a realist. Saying that, statistically, I have a higher chance of dying in a car accident on my way to go see the doctor about my celiac disease than I do from a chance of contributing pathologies. I certainly don't think I am being selfish every time I drive because I may be putting my family at risk of 'losing me'. Every story has perspective. To that end, I have to say that I am glad that I joined this forum and I will truly make a valliant effort to remove gluten from my diet. I have in the past gone about 2 weeks - and I do admit I felt my best then. However, I know - just like any other diet - once I cheat I figure it's all out the window. I don't have others around me who are supportive about going to places I can go and whatnot - restaurants and such - so it is hard and I feel myself very often giving into the majority. So, not for my doctor, not for anyone else - but to prove to myself that I can in fact maintain this diet - I will. Starting tonight. I will keep you informed of my progress and can certainly use the support to help keep me motivated. thank you for your reply - and again I truly am sorry for your loss.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Centa Newbie

Dear Deputy,

Glad you're here!

I'm glad you have a straightforward doctor. I'm glad he fast-forwarded to the real bottom line, which is that celiac disease treatment is entirely the responsibility of the person who has it. No doctor, or spouse, or coworker, or roommate can make anyone eat or not eat anything, unless the patient is very sick and in the hospital with IVs. The people who live with someone with celiac disease can help, but in a secondary way, only. The celiac IS the healer.

This site has been such a support to me, and I think, to others...believe me, people come with their problems, including when they're having difficulty sticking to the diet..as far as celiac disease goes, now you don't live alone...

statistically, I have a higher chance of dying in a car accident on my way to go see the doctor about my celiac disease than I do from a chance of contributing pathologies.

Ah, but the difference, of course, is that unless a person uses his car to commit suicide, a car accident is something that happens to you. You didn't intend it to happen.

On the other hand, eating gluten is something that you DO, and furthermore, do over and over again until the GI tract is so sick and debilitated that you contract a mortal disease. Once a person knows about celiac disease, and keeps eating gluten, it becomes a choice to eat it, even if it's habitual.

I see a very big difference in that, a difference of conscious choice.

I will truly make a valliant effort to remove gluten from my diet. I have in the past gone about 2 weeks - and I do admit I felt my best then.

Good luck! One day at a time... By the way, if it's particular foods that you find yourself craving, you'd be amazed by all the extremely tasty things that you can eat on a gluten diet. And they aren't second class! I've not done it but for example there are all kinds of baked goods...that Baking and Cooking forum is a goldmine. Everyone else craves things like pizza, bread, cookies too. The baking geniuses in that forum will lead the way. And if you don't want to do home baking, check the forum on food products...celiacs are in no mood to eat crummy food...they really can help you skip the mediocre tasting gluten free food products and find the truly great ones.

However, I know - just like any other diet - once I cheat I figure it's all out the window.

Every good day is a good day; no day of making a mistake erases a good day. And :lol: The GI tract forgives! Now if you haven't been treating your friend The Gut well, it won't do all of its forgiving at once, but it will do for you if you do for it... :P it's very faithful: you do what it needs, it heals...best wishes...it ain't easy to change something so deeply embedded in our lives like what we habitually eat, but it's worth it!!

I don't have others around me who are supportive about going to places I can go and whatnot - restaurants and such

in our offline life, many of us here don't either...but now you're among friends here on the site, and nearly all of them have celiac disease or gluten intolerance, and running the same health risks about it you are...some of them are like you...there is, I think something called silent celiac disease...you may want to look it up in using the search function, to see what people on the site have said about it. I'm not sure, because mine isn't silent, but I think they're referring to celiac that works the same way yours does.

Starting tonight. I will keep you informed of my progress and can certainly use the support to help keep me motivated.

So glad! Do let us know, Deputy. And you can ask for help, if you want to do that

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I have a few things to respond with. First, I am truly sorry about the loss of your father. I do recognize what a difficult loss it is to have a family member die from cancer - or from any cause really. I work as a deputy coroner - that is my career - I have a degree in mortuary science and have worked in the 'death industry' for nearly 14 years. I do recognize and know that celiac disease can be contributory to other disorders that lead to death. However, I also am a realist. Saying that, statistically, I have a higher chance of dying in a car accident on my way to go see the doctor about my celiac disease than I do from a chance of contributing pathologies. I certainly don't think I am being selfish every time I drive because I may be putting my family at risk of 'losing me'. Every story has perspective. To that end, I have to say that I am glad that I joined this forum and I will truly make a valliant effort to remove gluten from my diet. I have in the past gone about 2 weeks - and I do admit I felt my best then. However, I know - just like any other diet - once I cheat I figure it's all out the window. I don't have others around me who are supportive about going to places I can go and whatnot - restaurants and such - so it is hard and I feel myself very often giving into the majority. So, not for my doctor, not for anyone else - but to prove to myself that I can in fact maintain this diet - I will. Starting tonight. I will keep you informed of my progress and can certainly use the support to help keep me motivated. thank you for your reply - and again I truly am sorry for your loss.

I suppose I was just trying to offer guilt as a motivation. Guilt for what you do to yourself isn't nearly as powerful as feeling guilty over what you might do to other people. Thank you for your sympathies. Or you could try this way of thinking: Think how much your work might benefit were your brain functioning better all the time!

And, I have some rocking recipes that can replace every gluten thing you could possibly want except for croissants. Although, I read a story from a gluten-free blogger who honeymooned in Italy, where they had gluten-free croissants.......... Love to get that recipe.

Deputy1079 Newbie
I suppose I was just trying to offer guilt as a motivation. Guilt for what you do to yourself isn't nearly as powerful as feeling guilty over what you might do to other people. Thank you for your sympathies. Or you could try this way of thinking: Think how much your work might benefit were your brain functioning better all the time!

And, I have some rocking recipes that can replace every gluten thing you could possibly want except for croissants. Although, I read a story from a gluten-free blogger who honeymooned in Italy, where they had gluten-free croissants.......... Love to get that recipe.

thanks - but truly - you know what i need - suggestions!! I have a ton of recipes -but these tend to be time consuming and very expensive. I am so tired of salads for lunch and eggs for breakfast. I need suggestions for 'on-the-go' foods - easy foods. I think so many times I give in because I don't have the time to look up a lunch location's menu. I love peanut butter cookies - if you have a recipe for them I would love to have it! I am just not sure what to do to keep from getting bored with the same thing over and over again. I like soups/chilis for lunch - but they are so hard to order from a restaurant because you never know if they are thickened with something. The time consumption of this diet is probably worse than the forbidden foods. Suggestions from anyone would be great - i know this is probably the wrong forum topic to ask that in - but I started here so..............

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
thanks - but truly - you know what i need - suggestions!! I have a ton of recipes -but these tend to be time consuming and very expensive. I am so tired of salads for lunch and eggs for breakfast. I need suggestions for 'on-the-go' foods - easy foods. I think so many times I give in because I don't have the time to look up a lunch location's menu. I love peanut butter cookies - if you have a recipe for them I would love to have it! I am just not sure what to do to keep from getting bored with the same thing over and over again. I like soups/chilis for lunch - but they are so hard to order from a restaurant because you never know if they are thickened with something. The time consumption of this diet is probably worse than the forbidden foods. Suggestions from anyone would be great - i know this is probably the wrong forum topic to ask that in - but I started here so..............

That's alright. There is a baking and recipes section- I would go there for ideas. For now, I do have a few. Wendy's chili is gluten free, so there's an easy one. Tinkyada pasta is made from rice and is the general favorite on the board, I have served it to people and they didn't notice anything different from wheat pasta. I personally hate the Deboles brand, think it's awful.

I've copy-pasted some text from a blogger called GlutenFreeGirl, she's a fabulous cook and a wonderful writer, she makes you feel good about food again. Here's her recipe for PB cookies.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

One cup creamy peanut butter

One cup white sugar

One teaspoon baking powder

One egg

Preheat the oven to 350

Archived