This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oxalates And Nightshades

jerseyangel

Worriedwife Apprentice

Thanks for the time frame. I thinks that if it takes laonger than a couple of days for him to feel better, he's not going to stick with it. He thinks those peanuts are good for him.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
confusedks Enthusiast

Hello all,

Well I just caught up on all of the posts and this is all very interesting. So, does anyone have a post of things that can be eaten (kind of like the forbidden gluten list here on celiac.com) so I know where to start? Also, what do all of you eat in a day? I am free of gluten, soy, dairy, and tree nuts. I am also light on eggs (no egg omelettes, etc.) So what would I be able to eat? Can anyone maybe give a sample menu?

The reason I am considering this is because I have a lot of back problems (I'm 17!!) including disc bulges, 67 degree curve, SI joint problems, hip problems...etc. My pain is very unmanageable at most times and the only thing that used to work was vicodin, but apparently my body no longer likes it...got very sick last time I had it. I thought this diet may help.

Thank you and it has been very interesting to read all of your posts.

Kassandra

Worriedwife Apprentice

My husband's pain is pretty intense as well, and he uses Vicoprofin. It's just like vicodin, only it has ibuprofin instead of acetomitifin(sp?). Doctors don't really like to prescribe this, as it's really strong, but you could ask about it. It really seems to work for him.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

THESE ARE THE BEST LINKS FOR WHAT YOU SHOULD AVOID AND WHY

Open Original Shared Link

I DID LIST A SAMPLE DIET ON POST 26 I THINK IT WAS

JUDY

rinne Apprentice

And here's one more...after being entirely dairy free for a long time, I started to add in goat and sheep cheese and goat yoghurt. It didn't seem to make anything worse. Do you all eat any of that stuff? If you're lactose intolerant, does going goat help? And is casein only in cow dairy, do you know?

I've heard that after a time of healing some people can once again tolerate dairy so perhaps that is true for you, as I understand it goat milk products are often tolerated better than dairy. I think this goes back to how we originally got our dairy products as in prior to the mass production of cow milk products.

I periodically try a little goat cheese and it seems to me lately that I am tolerating it slightly better than I did some months ago. No bloating, no mean cranky mood the next day which for me were the usual results of dairy products. Does anyone else feel mean and cranky after dairy?

Rinne,

I'm really glad you are back and I hope that this will be of great help to you :D

Regarding the C and whether to take the calcium....The calcium helps bind with the oxalates to get rid of them. Maybe the addition of the magnesium will put you in a better balance.

Of course, you could try the diet and see how that does by itself--without raising your calcium. I truly believe that no one diet/plan fits all and we need to tailor anything we do to fit our own individual needs.

Personally, I find that I'm getting good results by lowering my intake of high oxalate foods (not omiting them completely) and sticking religiously to taking my calcium. That's what works for me.

I'm sure that the balance is going to be somewhat different for everyone. What does make sense is the reasoning behind this.

I can't wait to hear how this works out for you :)

Patti, I hope so too. Everything I read really resonated.

I have been eating a lot of chocolate and nuts lately and blueberries and chard (thought it was so good for me :( ) and a while back I was eating lots of beans!!!! I have the cysts, kidney, fibroids in my uterus, one fibroid they removed from my breast, and growing hard knots in the palm of my hand.

I was thinking that I had read that the magnesium also binds with the oxalates, I was afraid of the calcium because of the C but after this morning I am thinking that you are right and what I need to do is add the calcium and find the balance.

THESE ARE THE BEST LINKS FOR WHAT YOU SHOULD AVOID AND WHY

Thanks for the links Judy. I am so happy that this is helping you, you are so right, we are figuring this out. :)

Flor Apprentice

Hey, me too -- my joint pain is left hip, base of left thumb, and a knuckle on my right hand. The finger joints got a lot better over the last few months, no idea why, and then started hurting again when I started on the low oxalate, more calcium thing last week.

I think my skin is getting weird too -- maybe something grainy coming out of it and definitely more pimples (and I'm 42!).

I had a dream two nights after starting on the low oxalate diet that I was pulling black goo out of my mouth. Hmmmmm, interesting? Gross!

I guess I'll go back to totally dairy free while I'm eliminating things. I'd been dairy free and then added goat cheese and goat yoghurt back in about six months ago and didn't notice any change, or that I recall. But casein is another one of those troublesome big molecules (can we get a list! oxalates, lectins, casein, etc -- maybe we can set it to music!?), so I guess I better stop all dairy. I've been eating more yoghurt and cheese since going low oxalate. It's hard not to replace one problem with another as the choices get fewer!

I eat those Enjoy Life cookies too. Anyone eat anything else sweet? I smeared honey on a rice cake after lunch today. It wasn't thrilling but it satisfied the sweet tooth moment.

A therapist friend of mine in San Francisco says she spent time with a big-time healer in the Amazon and that he makes everyone who sees him get on a diet of nothing but steamed fish, white rice, and plantains. Sound familiar?!?

jerseyangel Proficient
I have been eating a lot of chocolate and nuts lately and blueberries and chard (thought it was so good for me :( ) and a while back I was eating lots of beans!!!! I have the cysts, kidney, fibroids in my uterus, one fibroid they removed from my breast, and growing hard knots in the palm of my hand.

I was thinking that I had read that the magnesium also binds with the oxalates, I was afraid of the calcium because of the C but after this morning I am thinking that you are right and what I need to do is add the calcium and find the balance.

I was eating lots of almonds, blueberries and chocolate, too--and for the same reason! It's interesting that many of us have the tumors, cysts, and other issues with excess tissue.

I'm glad you're going to try the calcium :)

Hey, me too -- my joint pain is left hip, base of left thumb, and a knuckle on my right hand. The finger joints got a lot better over the last few months, no idea why, and then started hurting again when I started on the low oxalate, more calcium thing last week.

I'm seeing a pattern here :D

I've also had rice cakes with jam, and cut-up fruit drizzled with pure maple syrup for something sweet. I wish I didn't have such a sweet tooth....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I thought this was good--it is about oxlates and Autism, but it talks about leaky gut--

happygirl Collaborator
PATTI SAID...........

:lol: Film at 11 :lol: Actually the situation has resolved itself

WELL HOT DAMN......THERE IS JUSTICE IN THE WORLD...ROCK ON PATTI

NOW WE JUST NEED OUR RACHELVILL PRES...APPROVED.... :lol:

JUDY

All I have to add is that the above quote made me laugh out loud. :)

I don't have but so much to add, but I was on a low "everything" diet last year....meat/chicken, a few veggies, a few fruits, a bit of seafood, and nothing else (no dairy, nightshades, soy, corn, rice, grains of any kind, oil, seasoning, spices....etc) I hope that changes in diet help everyone on here. My best to you all!!!

Flor Apprentice

Happygirl,

Did your low everything diet last year help you? Are you feeling well now? And how much have you added back in to your diet since then?

San59 Newbie

Hey everyone,

I am new here, but friends with Judy and Glueless.......Thanks for sharing this with me.

I will write more again, but going to keep up with this site and also keep up w/low oxalate foods.

San

Gluten intolerant/FMS/CMP

jerseyangel Proficient
Hey everyone,

I am new here, but friends with Judy and Glueless.......Thanks for sharing this with me.

I will write more again, but going to keep up with this site and also keep up w/low oxalate foods.

San

Gluten intolerant/FMS/CMP

Hi San, and welcome to the board! :D

If there's anything we can do for you, just let us know.

San59 Newbie

ok...first question is, what are nightshades? lol

jerseyangel Proficient

Nightshades are sometimes referred to as "deadly nightshades".

They include:

white potato (not sweet potato)

tomato

eggplant

peppers

tobacco

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HAPPY GIRL LAURA...I'VE MISSED YOU ...WE NEED TO CATCH UP.

HAVEN'T HEARD MUCH SINCE YOUR OBX TRIP.

ARE YOU STILL DOING THE IV'S

YOUR STILL IN MY NIGHTLY PRAYERS...

SAN. :D ......WELCOME.........YOU CAME OVER. :D SO HAPPY TO HAVE YOU

THANKS PATTI FOR SHARING THE NITESHADE LIST AND THE OTHER GREAT LEAKY GUT LINK.

WE'LL HELP ANYWAY WE CAN.

ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME TOO.

HUGS

JUDY

rinne Apprentice
I was eating lots of almonds, blueberries and chocolate, too--and for the same reason! It's interesting that many of us have the tumors, cysts, and other issues with excess tissue.

I'm glad you're going to try the calcium :)

I'm seeing a pattern here :D

I've also had rice cakes with jam, and cut-up fruit drizzled with pure maple syrup for something sweet. I wish I didn't have such a sweet tooth....

:) Sweet tooth..... me too.

All I have to add is that the above quote made me laugh out loud. :)

I don't have but so much to add, but I was on a low "everything" diet last year....meat/chicken, a few veggies, a few fruits, a bit of seafood, and nothing else (no dairy, nightshades, soy, corn, rice, grains of any kind, oil, seasoning, spices....etc) I hope that changes in diet help everyone on here. My best to you all!!!

Thanks Laura, so nice to see you. :wub:

Flor Apprentice

Being kind of new here, I have to ask:

What are these bars we keep hearing about that one of you has invented? Is it something that would satisfy my sweet tooth?

And...does Rachelville refer to the OMG post that is a universe unto itself that Rachel started (long may it reign!) or is it an actual place too (Rinne is chef of Rachelville)?

And speaking of geography...does it make sense to share where we live roughly in case there are regional resources we can share?

Like, for example, I live in Greenville, SC and spend a fair amount of time in Asheville, NC where I have just discovered a holistic MD who has a fair amount of GI experience (and who, as a side note, has just provided the vaccination waiver that we need so my son can go to preschool without having to get a million shots)...and her husband runs one of these non-mainstream labs that do the candida and other kinds of slightly off the beaten path GI testing. I'm about to start down the road with this doc and probably the lab too, to see what I can learn from them.

Which reminds me, is there anywhere on this site where people "review" or share info about these labs? It's a little hard to tell what's useful and what's likely a waste of money.

Sweet dreams all.

Yours in low oxalatious-ness...

jerseyangel Proficient

catesfolly,

Rachelville is a state of mind :D Last summer, a bunch of us who regularly posted on the OMG thread began to imagine a perfect place where we all could live, eat freely and generally enjoy life.

There would be no dumb questions from others, and no foods that we were intolerant to.

We all had occupations--I was Vice President! A lot of good fun, information and friendship was shared. :)

I miss Rachelville.....

Rinne Bars is a kind of "working name" for Rinne's invention. We don't know all the facts yet, but she is hoping to bring them into the marketplace in the (hopefully) near future and become a taifun (tycoon) :D

And yes, it does make sense to share where we are--I'm in Southern New Jersey, but will soon relocate to Pennsylvania--in an area to be determined. B)

A very good night to you :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HEY 'VP' :lol: GOOD EXPLINATION.

FLORENCE....SOUNDS LIKE YOUR FINDING A DR AND LAB ALL IN ONE...THAT SOUNDS INCOURAGING SINCE MOST OF US HAVE FOUND STANDARDIZED MED ISN'T FINDING OUR ANSWERS.

GOOD LUCK

And speaking of geography...does it make sense to share where we live roughly in case there are regional resources we can share?

;) YES AS THERE MAY BE SOMEONE RIGHT DOWN THE ROAD FROM YOU OR A SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN CONNECT WTIH

Like, for example, I live in Greenville, SC and spend a fair amount of time in Asheville, NC where I have just discovered a holistic MD who has a fair amount of GI experience (and who, as a side note, has just provided the vaccination waiver that we need so my son can go to preschool without having to get a million shots)...and her husband runs one of these non-mainstream labs that do the candida and other kinds of slightly off the beaten path GI testing. I'm about to start down the road with this doc and probably the lab too, to see what I can learn from them.

ALL THESE HAVE BEEN REVIEWED ON THREADS. MIGHT CK THE TEST FORUM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGES..........AND LOOK BACK 30 DAYS ETC.

Which reminds me, is there anywhere on this site where people "review" or share info about these labs? It's a little hard to tell what's useful and what's likely a waste of money.

Sweet dreams all. Yours in low oxalatious-ness... :lol: LOVE IT!

rinne Apprentice
Being kind of new here, I have to ask:

What are these bars we keep hearing about that one of you has invented? Is it something that would satisfy my sweet tooth?

And...does Rachelville refer to the OMG post that is a universe unto itself that Rachel started (long may it reign!) or is it an actual place too (Rinne is chef of Rachelville)?

Yours in low oxalatious-ness...

Hi catesfolly, and thanks Patti for answering the rinne bar question.

Yes, I do think they would satisfy your craving but they are not low oxalate which may account for some of my current misery, I spent the summer in buckets of chocolate and other high oxalate foods creating them.

I ran the juice bar in Rachelville. :)

I love the low oxalatious-ness. :lol:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
We all had occupations--I was Vice President! A lot of good fun, information and friendship was shared.

Patti....you are still the Vice President. ;)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Yeah...how perfect is that!! :lol::lol:

jerseyangel Proficient

Kind of rolls off the tongue, doesn't it! :D

Patti....you are still the Vice President. ;)

And may I say it's an honor to serve with you, Madame President :)

Ok--stupid report :ph34r:

I had a cup of tea with almond milk and some Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips yesterday. I don't know if it can affect me this fast, but I woke up this morning sore and achy all over. Not sick like a virus, but achy. My fingers are stiff, too but that's probably due to the Lay's Stax :ph34r::ph34r:

Everyone who knows me knows I need proof, so I went for it yesterday. My stomach is fine, it feels more like those first days after I started the calcium. Interesting.....

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

OK STUPID REPORT #2 :ph34r:

CHOCOLATE PUDDING 'gluten-free OF COURSE' TREAT WHILE WATCHING 'DWTS' (YOUR FAULT PATTI).....AND THE SAME. :ph34r: DO I HAVE TO ADMIDT A DAMN 1 SECOND SQUIRT OF WHIP CREAM' ON TOP... :ph34r:

I'VE BEEN SO DAMN CAREFUL.........AND JUST TESTED.............NO CASEIN FOR SOOOOOOOOOO LONG

SO GUESS THE 'RENNI BARS WILL BE OUT FOR US FOR AWHILE TOO'

OH WELL WE NEED TIME TO HEAL BEFORE THEY ARE IN THE MASS MARKET.

CARRY ON THE 'CHIT CHAT' YOU JUST MADE ME FESS UP TOO.........BUT AT LEAST YOU DIDN'T GET THE 'D' ..................................CHOC PUDDING IN..........CHOC PUDDING OUT..............DUMPED THE REST OUT AND SQUIRTED THE WHIPPED 'REDDI' WHIP DOWN THE DRAIN...........................DIDN'T EVEN CRY.

LOVE YOU ALL ......................ON WARD AND UP WARD................

QUICK EDIT........WE FINALLY COULD DO GROCERY SHOPPING YESTERDAY AND THE OXALATE FOODS ON COUNTER IN KITCHEN..........NO EXCUSES NOW.

J

jerseyangel Proficient

Judy,

Sorry it got you, too. I think sometimes we feel we need to test to make sure we're still on the right track. We're charting some pretty unknown waters here :D

DWTS was good again last night--we'll talk B)

Archived