This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oxalates And Nightshades

jerseyangel

dlp252 Apprentice

It was so busy this afternoon, every time I tried to post someone would give me a ton of work.

Rachel, I meant to ask about the B vitamins too. Do you (or anyone) else know of a way to tell if they're made in connection with aspergillus? I'm taking a liquid B complex and sublingual B-12, plus whatever is in the multivitamin. I bought all of these (including the multivitamin) from Anna or Dr. S, so they're good brands, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're safe from aspergillus I guess. I sure wish there was an easy way to tell from looking at the labels, lol.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dlp252 Apprentice
What test did you have for aspergillus?? Was it for allergy or actual infection? If its an infection how are you treating it?? I'm assuming it was Dr. S. that tested you. My appt. with him is next week....I have my CT scan later today.

Okay, looks like it was IgG...so that's more allergy though, right? The lab was Alletess Medical and it's called a RAST & IMMUNOGLOBULINS REPORT.

These were tested:

Penicillium notatum, the IgG score was 7034, and the class (whatever the heck that means) was 4+

Aspergillus fumigatus, IgG score 4631, class 3+

Stachybotrys chartarum, IgG 3444, class 2+

There are some ranges (with the notation that they are for research only), from 0 (0-1,670) to 6+ (>9,501)

Dr. S highlighted in yellow all three of these as problems for me, but didn't say anything about treatment.

jerseyangel Proficient

Donna--

I had asked that same question rearding the B vitamins, specificly biotin, if anyone knew of a brand not manufactured with aspergillus. I'd be real interested to hear.

Rachel--

I don't always grasp all of the scientificness of how everything works, but I really think that you are right on about you and not excreting properly. It makes so much sense, considering.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Okay, looks like it was IgG...so that's more allergy though, right? The lab was Alletess Medical and it's called a RAST & IMMUNOGLOBULINS REPORT.

IgG could be sensitivity or infection....depending on the test they're running. It cant be a "true" allergy because those only involve IgE antibodies.

RAST is an allergy test....I dont know what the rest of the test was looking for but I'm assuming its a sensitivity to those molds and not an infection.

Its like with the food intolerance tests....they test all these foods and when you react the severity is indicated 1+ (being the weakest) up to 4+ (being the highest).

I'm not sure how to know for certain whether there is aspergillus in the vitamins. I generally dont take any b-vitamins but now with the biotin I'll just have to see how my body responds. I pretty much know how my body reacts to molds/aspergillus....but sometimes it sneaks up on me.

I've come across a link a couple of times....the link is supossed to be for finding "safe" vitamins but I'm not finding that info. at all on the page I'm directed to?? Maybe someone else can figure it out??

The info and the link is on this page.

Open Original Shared Link

Its at the bottom where it has this list of products of aspergillus fermentation.

PRODUCTS OF ASPERGILLUS FERMENTATION:

SOY SAUCE- FLAVORED WITH ASPERGILLUS

CHOCOLATE - ANYTHING MADE WITH CHOCOLATE LIQUEUR IS DEEMED UNSAFE DUE TO THE FUNGAL CONTENT.

TEA (BLACK)

MALT EXTRACT (MOST CEREALS)

LACTAID (MILK ADDITIVE)

SOME VITAMINS - Selected brands ARE SAFE; MOST ARE NOT DUE TO THEIR FUNGAL PROPERTIES

CITRIC ACID (A VERY COMMON FOOD ADDITIVE; NOT DERIVED FROM CITRUS FRUIT)

SOFT DRINKS (Citric acid is made with the aspergillus fermentation process)

FRUIT JUICE (COMMERCIAL-OFTEN MADE FROM MOLDY FRUIT; MANY CONTAIN MOLD ENZYMES ADDED IN PROCESSING)

DIGESTIVE ENZYMES (PANCREATIC ARE ALRIGHT), OTHERS ARE NOT

CHOLESTEROL LOWERING ENZYMES

ACIDOPHILUS WITH F.O.S. (Acidophilus has very healing effects and promotes natural anti-fungals in the body, however, artificially produced F.O.S. is made with the aspergillus fermentation process. If you would like natural F.O.S., you can consume watermelon seeds and reap the same nutritional benefits without any aspergillus fermentation).

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel--

I don't always grasp all of the scientificness of how everything works, but I really think that you are right on about you and not excreting properly. It makes so much sense, considering.

Hopefully the Dr.'s can get stuff moving. I really dont think that I had any significant problems excreting toxins until I got too much at once. In my case they're thinking that the mercury is most likely what interfered with detox.....blocking the pathways.

Once the yeast exploded its all pretty much "locked in". Nothing is going anywhere without the treatments to get it out.

I just had my CT scan...I seriously doubt anything will show up. I'm just hoping my Dr. will let me try the antifungals to see if its hitting anything. Diflucin (systemic yeast rx) didnt do anything except get rid of a couple spots on my skin that apparantly were fungal.

I'd like to see how my body responds to something more heavy duty that would also target aspergillus.

I also decided to request the provoked urine test for metals. He would never let me do this test in the past but now that I'm already doing chelation and taking DMSA...I dont see why he would be reluctant. So...hopefully I can do the test and see if I'm actually excreting anything. I would feel alot better knowing that I'm releasing some metals.

If I'm dumping the metals at some point the fungal issues will become less and less noticeable...and thats when I should be able to tolerate alot more foods. Hopefully I am excreting because that will mean I'm moving forward.

dlp252 Apprentice

Thanks for the info Rachel. I've copied the stuff from that link...I've been eating a lot of stuff that probably has aspergillus! It's good to see it all in one place.

I'm trying to make a list so when I go shopping Saturday I can go low oxalate AND aspergillus free. <_<

nora-n Rookie

Instant coffee:

I notice this is high oxalate, vs brewed coffee in the low oxalate group. I wonder if this is in teh dry matter of the insstant coffee....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

REMEMBER WHEN I WAS HAVING THE DARK 'D' ..DIDN'T MENTION BLACK FLAKES B/C DIDN'T THINK OF IT BUT HAVEN'T HAD ANY OF IT SINCE TAKING THE CALTRATE......

FOUND THIS TONIGHT ON THE OXALATE YAHOO AND A POST BY SUSAN.

"Black flecks in the stool are not new to autism. We heard about them in

the secretin trials, and Stan Kurtz did a poll that found them showing up

after severeal different therapies. Nobody knows what they are, but the

stories have been very similar to each other. They do occur in some

listmates when "dumping" but not in all listmates. Everybody will be

relieved to learn their identitty. The trouble is, we really don't know a

scientist who can just "play with it" until he figures out what it is!

"""

Rachel--24 Collaborator
"Black flecks in the stool are not new to autism. We heard about them in

the secretin trials, and Stan Kurtz did a poll that found them showing up

after severeal different therapies. Nobody knows what they are, but the

stories have been very similar to each other. They do occur in some

listmates when "dumping" but not in all listmates. Everybody will be

relieved to learn their identitty. The trouble is, we really don't know a

scientist who can just "play with it" until he figures out what it is!

"""

Hmmmm....thats interesting. I've seen the "black flecks" mentioned dozens of times on various candida message boards. I've never seen them myself but many people who are aggressively treating fungal infections or doing detox cleanses report seeing these black flecks in the toilet.

They describe them as black flecks or looking like ground coffee.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Hmmmm....thats interesting. I've seen the "black flecks" mentioned dozens of times on various candida message boards. I've never seen them myself but many people who are aggressively treating fungal infections or doing detox cleanses report seeing these black flecks in the toilet.They describe them as black flecks or looking like ground coffee.

Rachel, I'm so glad you answered.

You know the only place I had even EVER heard of this was on your thread :lol:

As I recall :blink: I THINK that it usually was in reference to charcoal use BUT I SURE COULD BE WRONG.

I NEVER EVER had seen this before in my stools. I happened after i started the LOD and and then was using the supplement chiro gave me with calcium citrate..and the magnesium (I think was causing the 'd' with the LOD but this is just my guess............... :blink:

The minute I changed to the CALTRATE - 600 D Patti told me about...it was gone and perfect stools returned.

Judy :blink:

Flor Apprentice

I used to get the black flecks too. Not since going LOD though.

I've read in books and had doctors ask about the "ground coffee" because they say that's indication of dried blood in the stool.

I'm not sure whether these black flecks are the same.

I had stool tests done with those black flecks and I assume (bad idea?) that if it had been blood, they would have said something?

Flor Apprentice

Judy,

Do you not supplement magnesium at all?

I'm wondering if it's giving me D as well but there's all this stuff out there about an imbalance between Mag and Cal creating absorption problems of its own.

bluejeangirl Contributor

Hello everyone. I've been LOD'ing for over a week and pretty much felt better then I have in a long time. I didn't have the dumping symptons or see evidence of giving off crystals or anything so I wondered if my body, having the candida just wasn't allowing the blood levels of oxalates to get low enough. So I went low carb. about 20 grams of carbs per meal. Mainly protein and low carb. low ox. vegetables. I took Cats Claw to further the assult on candida.

I ended up feeling horrible. Flu like symptoms, achy, carbby, emotional, tired but couldn't get a good sleep feeling. It was too unbearable so I have to adjust this again and add more carbs. I was losing weight anyway and I can't afford to do that since Im underweight already. Even right now its hard for me to think or be motivated to do anything. So getting the candida under control is going to priority for me. I'm sure I'm dumping oxalates along with candida when I'm feeling this way.

Another thing I found out is lentils isn't that low in oxalates. I found that it was 7.8 for a 1/2 c. I was eating them last week thinking they were much lower then that. Brown rice and oatmeal are lower then that and I much rather be eating those. I'll see if I can find that chart and post it. It was just a small chart of random foods. I do wish we had an actual chart of just how much everything is. I hate not knowing.

I added biotin. An under the tongue lozen. 1,000 mcg.s. Maybe it'll help my hair grow in thicker. :rolleyes: It's nice to see the group expanding. Welcome Donna,.. your story is alot like mine with the dental stuff. Mercury has to be one of the biggest cover-ups in history. Someday we'll know.

On a positive note, I haven't had any stomach related pain since on this diet. I must be getting rid of the food that cause my problems with digestion. Thats a relief to know. So many people are on acid reducers and I think they are only making problems worse for people. Of course I know its hard for people to give up foods. :(

Anyway, off I go to learn more. I only have so much time on this thing before other things start calling me. Hugs to everyone.

Gail

bluejeangirl Contributor

Open Original Shared Link

See if this works, it had the small chart of foods and the oxalate levels.

Gail

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

FLORENCE..

Do you not supplement magnesium at all?

MY 'HEALING KNOW ALL' CHIRO IS A BIG BELIEVER IN THIS"""""""""""I but there's all this stuff out there about an imbalance between Mag and Cal creating absorption problems of its own.""""""""""""""""""""

THE ANSWER IS YES........OVER 1O YEARS OF READING AND TRYING WITH HELPING FIBRO...................YES YES BUT..................

I JUST HAVE FOUND "I" CAN'T FOR WHAT EVER REASON DO BOTH TOGETHER...........SO TAKING THE PACKAGING TO CHRIO APT TODAY TO DISCUSS WITH HER. SHE'LL TELL ME .................

catesfolly Posted Today, 09:40 AM

I used to get the black flecks too. Not since going LOD though.

I've read in books and had doctors ask about the "ground coffee" because they say that's indication of dried blood in the stool.I'm not sure whether these black flecks are the same.

WELL I SURE HOPE NOT...RACHEL WHERE ARE YOU???????///had stool tests done with those black flecks and I assume (bad idea?) that if it had been blood, they would have said something? WHO KNOWS????????

I HAVE NO ANSWERS JUST QUESTIONS :blink:

WELCOME AND LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE POSTS FROM YOU TOO

Anyway, off I go to learn more. I only have so much time on this thing before other things start calling me. Hugs to everyone.

Gail

Rachel--24 Collaborator
RACHEL WHERE ARE YOU????

I'm right here Judy! :D

I'm not sure what the black flecks are but they seem to be showing up in people usually when their body is cleansing...whether its a diet change, antifungal/antiparastic treatment or some type of cleanse.

I've heard that its from parasites or that its debris from the colon....theres all kinds of theories but I have no idea what it really is. I havent seen it myself. I've seen yeast though (lots of yeast)...but it was white.

I take charcoal but its never caused black flecks in my stool.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

:ph34r: just posted a long.............................post and went to send and lost it.

too mad :angry: to do it over again.

thanks rachel for the post and was letting you know patti about he apt re caltrate and florence you are right about the calcium/mag combination needed.

j

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I didn't have the dumping symptons or see evidence of giving off crystals or anything so I wondered if my body, having the candida just wasn't allowing the blood levels of oxalates to get low enough.

I've never experienced "dumping" either....as far as I know. :unsure:

I think dumping would be the same thing as die-off. This is what I know about die-off and yeast.

The yeast are binding with metals...its a natural defense of the immune system. It keeps mercury from suffocating our cells. When yeast binds with mercury it allows for the cells to breathe....it serves a purpose in protecting us from what could potentially become a lethal environment of heavy metal toxicity.

The trade off is that our body has to deal with the fungi taking our nutrition as well as the burden from the toxins it produces. Its very toxic but its easier for the immune system to deal with yeast than it is to deal with mercury.

If we stop feeding the yeast or if we take antifungals....obviously some of it will be killed off. In the process it loses its bond with the mercury which is then mobilized. If oxalates are surrounding the yeast and also having the capability to bind with metals...all of this gets dumped into the system as the yeast are killed.

Its basically what is known as "die-off". Some Dr.'s believe that the symptoms occurring from die-off are actually a release of mercury and metals into the system. When these metals are mobilized and not excreted we can feel alot of the symptoms. Metals on the move will produce a significant immune response. Some of the metals and other toxins will be exctreted and then much of it will be redistributed. Whatever the body cant excrete is causing symptoms as it is being redistributed.

I dont feel these symptoms anymore even when I'm killing off yeast because the Dr.'s have me taking things that are meant to absorb these toxins and remove them before they can be redistributed.

I ended up feeling horrible. Flu like symptoms, achy, carbby, emotional, tired but couldn't get a good sleep feeling. It was too unbearable so I have to adjust this again and add more carbs. I was losing weight anyway and I can't afford to do that since Im underweight already. Even right now its hard for me to think or be motivated to do anything. So getting the candida under control is going to priority for me. I'm sure I'm dumping oxalates along with candida when I'm feeling this way.

This is definately the symptoms of toxins circulating throughout the body...or "die-off". The symptoms are from releasing more toxins than your elimination organs could handle for excretion. We end up feeling sick when the toxins are getting reabsorbed.

You can take some charcoal or chlorella (if you can tolerate it). Those things will absorb toxins and you will experience less die-off symptoms.

I added biotin. An under the tongue lozen. 1,000 mcg.s. Maybe it'll help my hair grow in thicker. :rolleyes:

So far I seem to be doing fine with the biotin but its only been a few days.

Mercury has to be one of the biggest cover-ups in history. Someday we'll know.

I agree 100%. I believe it would also be the biggest money maker for the pharmaceutical industry.

Eventually they will no longer be able to deny its toxicity in amalgams...there is getting to be way too much evidence that its a huge health risk having these fillings in our mouths.

It's nice to see the group expanding. Welcome Donna,.. your story is alot like mine with the dental stuff. Mercury has to be one of the biggest cover-ups in history. Someday we'll know.

So many people are on acid reducers and I think they are only making problems worse for people.

I agree with this as well.

tabasco32 Apprentice

HI all

IM HERE STILL!!

I have been real bad though. Lots and lots of banana splits with canned whip cream and chocolate truffles from hersheys. I can't help it! I eat so much ice cream it's like I can't help it.

I am soooo toxic I can't touch my food or it will lose it's taste or change colors. Dr. E said that I am probably releasing toxic gas through my skin. What should I do!!

Should I even cook my food anymore or have my mom? Might have to take a chance on her getting something in there like gluten or something.

What would you all do? would you cook your food and it be toxic or would you have to chance your mom cooking it for you?

She is not tooo careful. She tries to be though. I hate the way my food comes out though when I touch it. I have to wear gloves all the time. It smells bad and turns grey and tuff and no taste. but when my mom makes it at least I can taste it.

The steam of the food can't even be near my body or the food will change.

I think that's when the ice cream came in. I feel that I can at least taste it and stuff. I need to cut out the canned whip cream. That has to be bad with mono digliscerides and such.

How is everyone else doing? I will try to hang in there and not ice cream myself to death.

Lisa

dlp252 Apprentice

Judy, I just had an appointment today with a doctor to go over my neurotransmitter tests, and she was asking me about calcium and magnesium. I told her I've been taking them separately (as in separate supplements), but at the same time. She told me they actually sort of cancel each other out in a way and she wants me to take my calcium in the morning and the magnesium in the evening. Still a recommended 2:1 ratio, but said I should try calcium in the morning. If you can't tolerate them together maybe taking them separately will work for you.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

hi lisa

Donna,,i'm so glad you posted your info.

i'm totally confused now but that's ok...we'll figure it out.

unless i didn't get the full picture from the chiro...i thought they where to be taken togther and thought that's what the chiro meant.

guess she meant that "taking together canceled them out' separte was ok.

I guess the magnesium agrees with you and doesn't give you 'd' right?

well i'm still taking the caltrate for now..........i know it's helping me so will just continue esp with the weekend in a park with no close potties

judy

dlp252 Apprentice
unless i didn't get the full picture from the chiro...i thought they where to be taken togther and thought that's what the chiro meant.

guess she meant that "taking together canceled them out' separte was ok.

I guess the magnesium agrees with you and doesn't give you 'd' right?

Well, everything seems to give me D, lol. :lol: But I didn't notice any big change when I started taking the magnesium except when I took too much.

I did specifically say to her that I'd always heard and been told to take calcium and magnesium together, and she still wants me to take the calcium in the morning and the magnesium in the evening. She DID say though that calcium tends to constipate and magnesium tends to loosen things up.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Well, everything seems to give me D, lol. :lol: But I didn't notice any big change when I started taking the magnesium except when I took too much.

I did specifically say to her that I'd always heard and been told to take calcium and magnesium together, and she still wants me to take the calcium in the morning and the magnesium in the evening. She DID say though that calcium tends to constipate and magnesium tends to loosen things up.

THANKS DONNA.

I'D DO WHAT YOUR DR SAYS AND BE INTERESTED IN WHAT OTHERS HAVE FOUND OUT EITHER BY RESEARCH OR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

I'M JUST DOING THE CALTRATE NOW............IT'S WORKING SO WILL KEEP IT UP FOR AWHILE AND NOT USE 'CHIRO'S PRODUCT WITH THE MAG.

RUSHED OUT TODAY FOR THE ART SHOW AND TOOK TUNA BUT FORGOT THE CALTRATE AND USED JIM'S MAYO...CC IN HIS JAR + SOY IN IT.......I RAN OUT OF CANOLA HELLMANS SO IT HIT 'ONCE' BUT AT LEAST I KNOW WHY. WONDER IF I'D TAKEN THE CALTRATE IF IT WOULD HAVE BLOCKED IT

HUGS ALL

dlp252 Apprentice

Well, I started my low oxalate diet today...so far so good.

nora-n Rookie

About the calcium and magnseium cancelling each other, my mother says the same thing. But I do not have any magnesium tablets, I have only natural dolomite tablets that are made by grinding up dolomite rocks which are naturally calcium and magnesium . I tried them first time about 25 years ago and I could sleep so well if I took them at bedtime and they also took away variuos pain. (I used to read Adelle Davis's stuff). So I figured out they worked fine.

I do not know how others react to calcium and magnesium.

nora

Archived