433 replies to this topic

#316 Flor

Flor

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:08 AM

That's helpful about the grass-fed beef -- I wondered if it would avoid the fungus problem.

What do you do naturally for yeast? I was wondering whether grapefruit seed extract was low or high oxalate. Any idea?

Any of you do aloe vera juice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#317 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

I'm taking caprylic acid for yeast but I've stopped it as I'm testing the Biotin.

Theres a good list of helpful supplements as well as some to avoid here...

http://www.developme...e...df=1&id=124

About the Nystatin...sometimes I would be fine with it and other times I'd be very reactive to it...which is another reason I figure its probably better for me to leave it out.

On the page I linked to this is what it says about Nystatin:

Nystatin: This may possibly keep the gut leaky through effects on the membrane that lies at the tight junction. Try eliminating it and see if that works better.
Rachel

#318 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:35 PM

Its been a few years since I tried aloe vera juice.....my experience with it wasnt good. I *think* it contained citric acid....which is from aspergillus. <_<
Rachel

#319 Flor

Flor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:01 AM

A lot of folks over at the yahoo group are taking "ThreeLac" for yeast -- does anyone here have experience with that?

Rachel, have you tried grapefruit seed extract? Is caprylic acid the best thing you've found so far -- I mean, like you think it works? Any idea if it's high oxalate or no?

Is there a thread on this board that deals just with yeast issues, anyone know?

Thanks!

Florence

#320 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:34 AM

Florence............i still can't get back into the yahoo group!
Is it still helpful to us for the oxalate?
j
Judy in Southern CA

#321 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:59 AM

Judy,

I'll email you a link to the group--I don't want to post it because it has my email address at the top. If anyone else needs it, I'll PM it. :)

I unsubscribed from getting the new messages because there were so many and I don't have time to read through them to determine which would be helpful to me.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#322 Flor

Flor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:40 AM

Judy,

Let me know if you can't get on again this time -- you can also email the moderator, Susan Owens, because I know she wants us to be in the group. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll email her.

I really do find that site helpful. Susan is the only one I know doing systematic research on the LOD, related supplements, and side effects. She's also just a sharp scientist type who has access to medical research I don't have access to. She can speak understandably about things like the methylation pathway, the role of sulfur, etc.

When you do sign on, you can choose to get every new message or choose to get just a daily summary emailed to you, or neither. I like getting the daily summary but not every single new message.

The discussion between parents is useful too because a lot of it is about tweaking the LOD to fit their needs and they mention foods I wouldn't even know to try -- like pumpkin seed butter and chestnut flour.

Keep me posted!

P.S. This is so weird, but there's a lot of talk on there of "penis pain" among the parents of the autism spectrum kids. I'm pretty sure that's the boy equivalent of vulvar pain...which I've NEVER had before until last week. So I'm pretty sure this is continued oxalate dumping, esp. since the VP Foundation is all about LOD. Their site, by the way, has some pretty interesting stuff about supplements -- they have a specific LOD protocol that we all should probably take a look at and see if there's anything there we haven't thought about.

#323 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:42 AM

That's helpful about the grass-fed beef -- I wondered if it would avoid the fungus problem.

What do you do naturally for yeast? I was wondering whether grapefruit seed extract was low or high oxalate. Any idea?

I was taking Cat's Claw which is pretty powerful and it's also good for leaky gut, ulcers, diverticulosis, improves the immune system and more if you want to google it. But its high is antioxidants and pytochemicals so I figured its a given that its also high in oxalates. So I stopped taking it.

I'll get yeast to die off just by eating low carb. I've got to just fight one battle at a time and I'm going to try and heal with this oxalate diet first. I'll worry later about what to do next. I am eating alot of onions and garlic and those are good at killing parisites and candida also.

I get sick on aloe vera juice. Just thinking about it makes me sick. :( I'm taking a probiotic that you have to refrigerate. Made in madison Wisconsin sold by chiropractors called T9 to L1 SmI by Chiro-Zyme. So I"m doing alittle to help with the candida. Now to stop eating cookies.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#324 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:09 PM

Years ago, Karen Tripp put up a website about candida where she mentions that fibromyalgia i just candida of the mucslces...I think she was onto something.
She mentions some supplements and of course the diet and has a lot of recipes.
(of course buckwheat is high carb so it is an avoid)
http://www.geocities...otSprings/4966/
Maybe someone should mail her and explain about the candida and olalate connection....and that she was onto something.

nora
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#325 Flor

Flor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:46 AM

Nora, That's a pretty interesting site!

Has anyone tried the supplement she says did the thing for her (on top of the diet)? Formula SF722 by Thorne Research? I wonder what's in it? She says Amazon sells it, so maybe they say -- I'll go look.

I was about to try Three-Lac and a ton of people over on the yahoo site give it to their kids. But she says nothing good about it.

By the way, there's a very interesting "yeast" thread over at the trying-low-oxalate yahoo group -- it re-surfaced in the last day and has a pretty interesting discussion of how oxalate and yeast problems are related. A lot of folks there say that sticking with the LOD also got rid of their yeast problems.

Florence

#326 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:50 AM

By the way, there's a very interesting "yeast" thread over at the trying-low-oxalate yahoo group -- it re-surfaced in the last day and has a pretty interesting discussion of how oxalate and yeast problems are related. A lot of folks there say that sticking with the LOD also got rid of their yeast problems. Florence

I THINK that i'm finding less yeast build up in the 'soft fold' skin areas too.
will go ck this out.
thanks judy

EDIT
Amanda .....just did a post on Wegamans and i went and updated my account and found this recipe and it has an attached video for Italian Wedding soup.
We must .......of course..........gluten-free this and ck other ingredients.......but it could be adapted.

i love this soup ....the meat balls can certainly use your persaonal recipe with the 'bread crumbs' of choice...
here it is. thanks Amanda..........would love to go to Wegmans TODAY.
I'LL HAVE TO LINK TO MY STORE TO SEE IF THEY ARE DOING A SPECAIL CELIAC WEEK.

https://my.wegmans.c...asp?recipe=8783

JUDY
Judy in Southern CA

#327 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

She says the thorne supplements for yeast are special, as they are selected to be mold-free. All the other stuff is full of mold supposedly.

I have looked over at a LDN forum, at http://ldn.proboards3.com/ and they might need some input about eating celiac, and gluten-sensitivity testing like enterolab. I am not gonna post there, not enough time. They have some threads about yeast too, and gluten.
I have autoimune thyroid disease so anything that can lower autoimmunity is very interesting. LDN sounds like it can.
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#328 Flor

Flor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:06 PM

The manufacturer info sheet on the Thorne SF722 says it's entirely "10-undecenoic acid" which is made from castor bean oil.

Some folks on the yahoo group are taking it and say it's helped. I'm trying to find out if it's low oxalate -- I'm thinking castor beans are in the legume family and pretty much all high oxalate, but maybe I'm wrong or maybe the processing of this stuff takes out the oxalates?

People over there are also doing goldenseal for yeast and some other thing that sounds like "biocidal" but I don't think I have that right. Anyone here use goldenseal?

#329 Flor

Flor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hey you all!

Did you guys know that Vit D interferes with Calcium's ability to bind oxalates?!?

This from Susan Owens:

"The calcium you give before meals won't do its job of binding oxalate
properly if it contains vitamin D."

The calicium I've been taking has Vit D. What about you guys?

Another tidbit: that anti-yeast product SF722 that's made from castor bean oil, Susan says the oil itself is low oxalate:

Susan again: "It looks as if the testing I've seen indicates that most of the oils are
not high oxalate, even if made from a high oxalate food."

I'm gonna try this stuff and will keep you posted.

I've also emailed Susan back to ask specifically which calcium product she recommends. Mine has mag, Vit D, and B6, manganese, copper, zinc, and boron.

Have you all been taking the calcium ten minutes before eating?

#330 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:16 AM

I'm so leary of suppliments, but I have wanted to use biotin both for the oxalate connection and my increasing hair loss.

I tried a B complex recently that contained the biotin, but reacted almost immediately with a feeling of fullness in my lower throat and then a nauseous stomachache that lasted 3 days (from one tablet :o ). It was, of course, free of gluten.

Anyway, I bought PharmAssure Biotin (300 mcg) over the weekend. It's free of just about everything, and only has 3 ingredients (starch is from rice).

I took one yesterday, and one today and no ill effects! I want to begin taking 2 a day--I may try that starting tomorrow.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: