Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Anyone Sick Of "eat Right For Your Blood Type"?

9 posts in this topic

To preface, I think there may possibly be something to that book, at least as a method for people to examine what foods are not right for them. I think that there may be groups of people for whom there would be value in eliminating some foods, but I think the premise is a little too broad in that book, from what I know of it, though anyone is free to disagree with me.

But I am sick to death that whenever I am forced to discuss the fact that my daughter is gluten-free, chances are the person inevitably chimes in, oh I'm not supposed to have wheat either because I am an O. Give me a break, your food choices are not the same thing as when my toddler became ill and started losing weight! And most of them do cheat, and my daughter can not cheat.

And my biological father, who has a host of health problems, went off wheat because of that book, and it turns out he has had lifelong GI symptoms, and my daughter may have inherited her condition from him. So he is doing better and is a big believer in the book, but he does cheat ocasionally. And his doctor took it upon himself to order a Celiac panel for my dad which came back negative. Big surprise, he isn't eating gluten regularly, so of course it didn't show antibodies. And yet he may very well be Celiac. Sigh.

Ads by Google:
:D morning----i did try the "eat right for your blood type" diet, a friend urged me to try it--i am a type A and granted, many of the foods that i havent been able to enjoy for years are foods he says type A's cant have, but it also says that i shouldnt have dairy and i tried to do that, i enjoyed this soy milk called 8th continent, but after just a few weeks i realized too much soy was making me sick and at that point i decided that i had already given up enough foods because of the celiacs and if milk wasnt bothering me, then i wasnt giving up my dairy too--i have lost wieght since going gluten-free, have gained about 5# back and was just trying to find a way to keep losing---i find exercise is the one way to firm up and i do hate it---my man always tells me--hon, the only thing that will help is that naughty word you hate and i do know he is right----you are right, this diet is ok for the person who wants to deal with it and i am sure it has helped many people,,it does have valid reasoning with many of its ideas, but not for me----------believe me, you are always going to run into the none believers and you will always have to fight to keep gluten out of your daughter's mouth from non-believers and they arent all disagreeing with you, some are just not thinking and some are just plain ignorant--but its our lifestyle and we have to take care of us in the best way we can---deb :D

Oh I have a close friend that does not eat wheat, she does not have any problems with it but says its the enemy, its just bad for you and early man was a meat eater so we should be to.

Anyhow she believe in the eat for your blood type thing and also food combining and she keeps telling me that I can eat wheat again or drink beer if I combine it right. Well.... I don't think so. But I do get tired of her going on and on about it.

Mostly it goes in one ear and out the other, my firm belief .... on just about anything (this applies to health issues as well as controversial issues of the day) is that we are all different and we need to figure out what works for us and do that.

Best, Susan

What makes me laugh is how people will swear that the eat for your blood type is true because by following it, they lost weight! Okay, if your blood type says don't eat anything with wheat in it... :huh: ...of course you're going to lose weight! Come on, we all know how much junk contains wheat. No donuts? No pizza? And, they lost weight? Then there's the "no milk" one. So, they cut out all milk from their diet...no ice cream? Milk chocolate anything? Processed foods? And...they too lost weight? REALLY? :P People are funny.

As I understand the concept, it's based upon anthropological evidence. I wonder what happens when different blood types bear offspring. I would suspect the genes get all mixed up - regardless of the resulting blood type. That might explain why some people are allergic to large spectrums of foods.

IMO, it's a lot of bunk.

cheers

richard, roanoke, va.

Richard:

DITTO!!! :lol:

BURDEE

Burdee,

I just remembered reading a critique one time. It pointed out that the book or diet had no scientific underpinnings at all. But of course there are plenty of positive testimonials out there because, if he says your blood type isn't right for wheat, then a certain percentage of people who quit eating wheat are in fact going to feel better because they indeed should not be eating wheat. We don't hear from the larger percentage who don't feel better because they give up and move on.

Similarly, it's inevitable that some will lose weight on the diet because it advocates basic tenents -- like eating better and eating less.

richard

Richard:

Was that a soapbox invitation?? :lol:

For 2 years I facilitated a ThinWithin group at my church which taught people to obey their body cues of hunger and satisfaction, as well as consider how various foods affected their bodies. They could eat anything they wanted when they were truly, physically hungry but must stop eating when they ate just enough to satisfy hunger--not stuff themselves. They also had to respect which foods really satisfied their particular body's hunger for awhile. Most initially dived into all the junk food and treats which former diets had restricted and even lost weight, because they could only eat when they were physically hungry (not emotionally stressed or bored) and must STOP eating when they ate just enough, long before STUFFED. Eventually they learned which foods or combinations of foods (like protein, fats, carbs and fiber) satisfied their hunger and kept them unhungry for a while, without indigestion or food intolerance problems. So they freely chose healthier diets, while they obeyed their bodies' cues to reduce portion sizes.

Many people have used the TW approach to lose weight and maintain a healthier weight. That approach helped me to easily adjust to gluten/dairy/soy restrictions and new higher calorie gluten-free substitute foods, without gaining too much weight or feeling deprived.

The diet 'experts--who could be anybody who wants to write a book--have taught people to ignore their own body feedback and obey diet book eating plans. That approach has not helped the 67% of Americans who are overweight or even obese. Respecting our bodies' feedback is a MUCH simpler approach! ;)

BURDEE